950 SE rear shock.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Pitster, Aug 17, 2016.

1. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I know the free sag with the original and the free sag in my situation I know how much more travel I got.

Indeed a factor 3 (distance shock mount to centre / length rear bridge to centre = 630/230) is between the shock stroke and wheel travel.

I called the guy at WP again, they changed the rebound disk to 6mm (and they could go to zero they told), so 6 more mm to go but then I need a longer spring. Anyone a 140-265 laying around?

Edit, i think i am wrong with the term free sag. I mean the distance of the rear axl to a fixed point somewhere on the rear of the bike.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  2. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I think that based on your weight, you'll be better suited for a 130/265 and remember when building the 990adv standard shock that there's a large black anodized spacer ring external to the shock that sits on top of the 225 Spring that needs to be removed when installing the 265 Spring otherwise you'll end up with something like 25mm of preload...
  3. GezwindeSpoed

Oddometer:
    Yeah you are right, asking around in my neighbourhood.

Anyone how knows the distance rear axle to a fixed point of the standard shock?
  4. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    What you're asking for is this measurement to calculate static sag: the measurement difference between the unladen length (bike up on a stand) vs that same measurement with the bike's own weight. That will vary from bike to bike depending on how each person has their preload set (the threaded rings atop the SE's spring) so I'm not sure if that is going to of value to you. What I can say is that when comparing the SE shock assembly to the lengthened adv shock with my 265mm spring, there is roughly 16mm length difference from shock eye to eye with the adv shock being longer.
  5. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

6. GezwindeSpoed

Oddometer:
    No, I would like to know the unladen distance from axle to fixed point, not the static sag. I am not sure about the travel I have got and when I know this for the original shock I can compare it to mine and calculate the added travel of my bike (which should be the extra distance).
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Got it. Someone here with a stock SE must be able to help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    This is a 2007...stock height. The reference point is a straight-edge resting on the fender under the grab bars.
  9. GezwindeSpoed

Oddometer:
    Great, so a little less than 28"
  10. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    image.png

So for anyone who wants to use a 950adv or early 990adv shock, the reservoir is too long (as per this thread)...in fact, too long by about 13.5mm and I've already stated that KTM does not sell the 990adv short (100mm) reservoir by itself and only as part of the entire top shock assembly for a boatload of $$$ but folks, we have a breakthrough.

You CAN buy a reservoir by itself and you CAN buy this from KTM.

KTM uses the short 100mm reservoir on the...wait for it...KTM SX85 and the part number is 50180522 - what this means is that for anyone who has been eagerly shopping for a late model 990 shock with the short reservoir needs not wait any longer. Since you'd be opening the shock to change out the internal travel limiting spacer and freshening up the shock with new seals, etc; it is a perfect opportunity to swap out the reservoir for this short one...and its readily available from KTM.

Enjoy :)
  11. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are there any other internal differences between the earlier Adv and later Adv shocks?
  12. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I don't believe so...
  13. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm getting confused to what limits the length of travel between the standard Adv shock and S/R shock. My brain is telling the the piston valve rods are longer on the S/R.
  14. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Everything on the standard Adv shock and S or R adv shock is identical expect for two components:
    1- spring; standard uses a 225mm long spring and S/R use a 255 or 265 length spring (depending on year)
    2- internal spacer (what Ktm refers to as a shim). This goes on at the bottom of the rod and limits the amount of overall extension of the rod. So in all models, the rod length is the same, it’s just a question of which limiting spacer is installed. The standard Adv “shim” is about 24mm thicker than the one on the S or R so effectively, it reduces the rod length by that much more. Remove it and swap it for the thin shim and the rod length effectively increases by that much.

TheBigH and charlie264 like this.
  15. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

This is the thin S/R shim required for extending the standard adv shock
    charlie264 likes this.
  16. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hows the 130 spring working out?
  17. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    It’s been great so far though I haven’t used the bike laden with luggage, etc yet.

18. Gory74

Gory74 n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been lurking here for a while and now I've got myself a Adventure shock for the SE I've got a couple of questions.
    Is there different shims for the 255 v's 265 spring? Anyone know of a good online calculator to work out spring rate? Cheeers
  19. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    The shin is the same for all R and S models so it won’t matter if you go with 255 or 265 but you’ll find in your search that you’ll have a larger variety of rates for the 265mm length spring. As for rate calculations, there are a lot of variables at play...not sure you can really count on any online tools but keep this in mind:
    - The stock SE rate is 140 and many people swap out for the 130
    - the stock ADV S/R rate is 140 or 150 depending on year and model but that is on a heavier bike

I’m 102kg plus gear and I’m thrilled that I went with a 130 rate instead of 140 on my Adv shock conversion. Don’t know if any of that helps you decide...

20. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 130 on my stock SE shock and it copes fine two up with camping gear