950 SE rear shock.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Pitster, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Gory74

Gory74 n00b

Oddometer:
  2. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Don’t forget that the Adv shock doesn’t have the threaded collars for preload and with the 130 spring installed on my Adv shock, it has nearly 9mm of preload when assembles so if I need any more, I just use the preload knob to crank it. I’ve not ridden my SE offroad with a lot of luggage since doing this conversion but I’ll have the chance to ride fully loaded toward the end of this month. In the meantime, I’m going to do my forks this weekend. Going with 5,4 rate springs with the spacers required for a total length of 469mm instead of the stock 5,9 and fresh oil. We’ll see how that goes - I want plush. I’m not fast enough to worry about bottoming out from sky high jumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Kiwiktm

Kiwiktm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah plush is good. The 130 spring has proven to be a great swap on my SE.
    It is a much more comfortable machine now for my average Joe riding style.
  4. Gory74

Gory74 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thinking about it the 130 is probably a good place to start. Definitely need to look at the fork springs too but I'll start with the rear and see after that. One change at a time and all that!
  5. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Yup - one step at a time, just remember that the suspension system works in unison; front and rear. I’ve got the rear sorted for me and now I’m moving to the front. Time to make small sharp curb bumps disappear into plushness...it will feel like I’m riding on a herd of fluffy kittens by the time I’m done :)

mountaincadre and Gory74 like this.
  6. Kiwiktm

Kiwiktm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And be sure to set up your new spring preload or sag correctly to suit your weight once you have the shock back in the bike. This is often overlooked.
    Gory74 likes this.
  7. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    That is key...i'm down at an 11.2kg (110N/mm) spring riding pretty harsh, but works super well for my weight.

Another item people overlook trying to get these bikes to hook up, take your rear axle and slide it as far forward as you can. You should be able to get by with 118 links...shortening the wheel base that little bit really helps to get more weight on the rear.
    Gory74 and alongat like this.
  8. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    But if it’s as far back as possible, the handling is also more stable at high speeds and it won’t wheelie as easily :)

9. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    Yep, never have had too big of a problem with stability, but getting the front of the pig up is something that used to leave something to be desired :)
    alongat likes this.
  10. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    They are fun when they come right up on their own with nothing more than throttle twisting :)

godwinmt likes this.
  11. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Speaking of...need to find time to deal with my forks but now I’m busy installing a completely different rally fairing / tower...[​IMG]

12. Gory74

Gory74 n00b

Oddometer:
    That looks good Alon. Is that the Raid jobbie?
    alongat likes this.
  13. Gory74

Gory74 n00b

Oddometer:
    So I could possibly use the 255 length spring to reduce the initial preload that Alon has in his as I'm around 20kg lighter? I'm round 78kg these days.
  14. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Rade Garage (vs raid designs) - did some more work this morning. It’s nearly there...

Gory74 likes this.
  15. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Correct or find a progressive rate spring for your weight in either the 255 or 265 length. I’m not sure that WP makes a 130/255 but others will offer it. That will essentially eliminate the 9mm preload my 265 spring has on it when mounted up.

16. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Gory74, godwinmt and SunshineTom like this.
  17. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    anydavenow likes this.
  18. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the definition of a PDS shock?
    What is sure is that the OEM 950SE shock does only have one piston while the ADV shock has a second one which starts doing its job at a higher suspension travel. So the valving on the SE shock must be stiffer to get the same bottoming resistance compared to the ADV shock which has a more advanced mechanism preventing bottoming out.

I am very happy which my ADV shock extended fully with only a 1mm shim left and about 280mm of travel (130N/mm 265mm spring).
  19. skuikka

skuikka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PDS shock indeed has two pistons. That makes the damping progressive in relation to the depth of the stroke also in compression phase. The SE stock shock is basic one piston shock, also familiar from older LC4 series (the one in the cover of the manual bigborett linked), the LC4 version does not havet High speed external adjustement the SE version has. My wifes Sherco seems to have a 4618 too. Good basic shock but not a PDS.
  20. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Progressive Dampening System.

I'm no expert, believe me.
    After a bit of a look at a few other "PDS" shocks, some of those only have one piston also. So don't know there.
    But KTM do put a sticker on the shock and list it in the parts list "Wp Caution (PDS Ktm)".
    I'm thinking just a lower end unit.
    I was lead to this by a long time contributor and mod here that had an SE for a number of years and had quite a bit of work done to his shock back in the day.

I'm sure the ADV shock will be much better than the original, (I hope so as mine is being valved and lengthened at the moment). Just stating that the original is still a PDS unit.
    Certainly don't want to start a war.:defend