950 SE....when manufactured?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by docgonzo, Nov 26, 2013.

1. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Had a discussion at the PB300 in New Jersey about the date of manufacture of another fellow's SE. He thought his bike was manufactured in '08.

I was under the impression that they were all manufactured in the same run, then warehoused and distributed over the next few years, just changing the vinyl plastic a little to call them "New". Is that correct?

Mine was one of the first on the East Coast of the US. I got it in '06, although it was called an '07.

[​IMG]

On the frame, it clearly states that it was manufactured in June of '06. Vin number is VKBVE44027M927429.

Any of you East Coasters have a Vin number that's older (not sure which numbers are relevant to determine that....)

Just curious. Don't think there was ever a better dual sport built for the larger dirt bike rider. Love mine so much that I sold the 520 EXC a couple of years ago.
  2. ToddLite

ToddLite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me and fellow SE riding buddy had a conversation with a high ranking KTM rep at the Cycle world Sierra adventure rally in October about this very theory (that all the SE's were manufactured in one run and sold over next X years). I don't recall the exact specifics but he basically debunked that theory stating something along the lines that THE KTM assembly line (only 1?) produces only one model at a time. They churn a specific number of units of a model, then switch to another model, etc. etc. It seemed to support the idea of cranking out ALL of a particular model before switching but he said it would take way too long to crank out the theoretical 3000 SE's out there in one run before moving on to another model... the runs are generally much smaller numbers than that.

Anyhow that was the jist of it if I recall and seemed reasonably plausible.
  3. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    Let me ask this another way. Anyone else in the US get there SE in 2006?

Anyone have a manufacturing date different then 3/'06 on the label on the right side of the frame?

Are there really only 3,000 of these bikes in the entire world?:huh

The way the bike handles, because of the engine and the components that were used, I'm thinking that they lost money on these bikes, and that's why they are not producing anymore.... Such a shame...
  4. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Maya is a 666 devil girl

Date of manufacture is 6th June 2006 so 06/06/06 or simply 666 devil :rofl

Would be keen to know on the 09's sold!!

[​IMG]
  5. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    How about the rest of you SE owners? Anyone have the manufacturing date on the right-sided sticker other then 2006? Even those with the Erzberg graphics?
  6. Mosseltje

Mosseltje Alive

Oddometer:
    Which sticker?

My SE was build in 2002? :huh

[​IMG]
  7. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-)

Oddometer:

According to your VIN, it's a 2007. Tenth place in the VIN designates model year.

May or may not have been built in 2007.
  8. Boatman

Oddometer:
    In the US there is a VIN decal on the steering head.... which partially looks like this and you can see the manufacture month and year.

[​IMG]

There is another decal on right side of the trellis with the day, month, year of manufacture.

[​IMG]

Both my SE's are model year 2008. Manufacture date for the lower serial number is 11-23-2007. My other one has a serial number 138 numers later and pretty sure that one has a build date of 12-??-2007.

Interesting to see what an Erzberg has but it looks like the single production run is debunked. I was always under the impression it was a single run also.
  9. ToddLite

ToddLite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine's an 04/2007...
  10. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    Well, it would be possible that they continued the production run from my date of March, 2006, through the end of 2007. Still pretty amazing that the production was fairly limited for such a spectacular bike....

Boat, did you have fun at the 300? Jack's event was pretty much made for these desert racing bikes....
  11. David37

David37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 07 KTM 950 SE has a build date of 06/06.
  12. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    So far, looks like all of them were built between 3/'06 and 11/'07. That seems to fit with the one production run theory. Changing the vinyl patterns for "new" models was pretty easy!:evil

Anyone have a bike that was built BEFORE 3/'06, or was mine the first to get to the states?....:D

p.s., MGJAV stands for Military Grade Jungle Assault Vehicle! :lol3
  13. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short...

Oddometer:
    11/27/07 on my 2008

I'm also curious about the mfg dates of 2009s
  14. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    Interesting stuff. My bike is registered as a 2007, though manufactured in 2006. So far, all the '08s were manufactured in 2007. Definitely curious to see the manufacturing dates for the '09s!:ear

It might be that they are ALL 2007s! :evil
  15. SE Steve

SE Steve Super Noob

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Year of manufacture 03/08
    [​IMG]
    Sold as 2009
  16. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Who cares when it was built or what number it was in the import order. They are so awesome I had to buy a second one!
  17. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    You had to buy a second one because you needed a spare parts bike for the one you kept crashing! The SE is good, but it still doesn't like smashing into trees!:wink:

[​IMG]

I still think it is interesting that this spectacular bike was built in a short run of what now looks like two years, and isn't being built anymore, despite the obvious advantages of the bike. And so far, mine is looking like the 1st one that came to the states! :D
    DistortedAxis likes this.
  18. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    If you ain't crashing you ain't riding hard enough.

Both of my SEs are fully operational Thank you very much.
  19. Boatman

Oddometer:
    Yes,, had a blast except keeping within the 25 mph speed limit really sucked.

Too bad you bugged out early. Loph and I stopped by where you parked and were surprised to see you gone. Was looking forward to an engaging conversation at dinner. Didn't want to get into it at lunch.
  20. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    If a tree falls in the woods, and there isn't anyone around to hear it, does it make a sound? :evil

Sorry that I got back to the hotel before you, and left early. Had a little bruise on my left knee that needed to be attended to. No damage to the SE, though!

Glad you enjoyed the ride. Was nice to meet you in person for the first time. You seem like a nice fellow! :D