950 Super Enduro Fuel Filter

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by HiOctaneOverland, Nov 1, 2019.

1. HiOctaneOverland

HiOctaneOverland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Am I right in saying the only fuel filters on the 950 Super Enduro are the little screens fitted to the tank petcocks? Doesn't look like much protection to me!

So fellow SE owners, what other filters have you fitted and what results have you got?

I'm considering splicing in a short length of fuel hose with a Golan micronic filter using a couple of CPC push fit connectors (same as the KTM OEM black ones). Or just a standard in-line plastic cylinder with a paper element, then change every 3500 miles or so.

Any issues with the fuel pump not producing enough pressure to pass through the filter?

Grateful for any thoughts, advice or benefit of your experience.
  2. NVTS

NVTS Are you ennen oh eff tee Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spliced in a Golan, after the Tee and before the pump inlet. No pressure issues for the last 2k miles.
  3. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Adv came with a Facet that has a filter on the inlet. I would think they all can benefit from adding a fuel filter. Carbed that is.
  4. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    Adding a filter before the pump won't affect the pressure because the pump (factory or facet,...) have built in regulators.

But adding a filter after the pump will definitely affect the pressure. Less pressure however won't affect the carbs mixture much ( the floats just open more). I would think with a post pump filter one MAY notice a leaner mixture only at large throttles or when on the choke circuit. This was observed years ago when people were experimenting with different facet pumps. Some models made less pressure than stock.

Keep in mind these pumps make only a couple of psi of pressure (2.5? Can't remember). Some small force from the floats in the carbs bowls can stop the flow, so a dirty or small restrictive filter could easily affect the flow/pressure.

A fuel filter on carbed bikes is not as critical as fuel injected bikes. Dirt usually passes through the gets.

My suggestion is, if you really want to use a filter, use a coarse filter before the pump or a filler cap sock filter. Don't use filters made for fuel injected engines, they are too fine (about 10 to 20 micron, way too restrictive)

Consider a Facet 14171 pump and it's filter, works great.
  5. buzybraza

buzybraza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own a 2008 KTM 950 SE since 2010 (bought new from dealership with zero miles). It has about 30k miles on it as we speak. I have always thought about adding a serviceable fuel filter but haven't done so yet. Bike has been flawless until now just with the stock petcock filters.
  6. HiOctaneOverland

Oddometer:
    While adjusting the needle setting on my carbs yesterday, I flow tested a Golan filter to see how much restriction, if any, it would have when placed downstream of the pump.

The answer is not much.

I simply gravity fed a section of tube from the bottom of the fuel tank, through a Golan filter and then into a bowl. The fuel poured through pretty quick. The Golan filter is a pleated filter so the effective surface area is quite large (4 sq in on their website) and up to 6gpm flow rate without restriction, in essence I think the bore of the tube will be the most limiting factor. So, I’ve made a short section of tube with an OEM style quick connector at each end and I’ll simply splice it in, I don’t anticipate either a flow or pressure problem supplying the carbs.
  7. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Instead of the $40+ Golan, look at the $7 Napa Gold filter. About the same rating. Filter is much bigger so it takes some planning, but you'll never need to replace it.
  8. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought a Pingel SS inline 30-micron filter and installing in place of the quick disconnect. I was going to use a Wix 30223 (use it on my DL1000 as an external bypass with great results), but it was bigger than I could find a place for.
  9. ricker

ricker booger eatin' moron

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    TwinAir Fuel Pre-Filter for PowerCell Fuel Cap Adaptors
  10. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the Twin Air filters, but couldn't figure out which one would work with my Safari tank. I wish they had dimensions (ID, neck length, etc...) on their site.
  11. Helibee

Helibee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used a PC filter on my SE when riding the TAT several years ago. I had issues with dirty gas plugging the idle circuit to the extent I coasted down the last mountain in CO before heading back home. I tried to clean ithe carbs several times (4-5), even stopping at a Harbor Freight in CO Springs, buying a ultrasonic cleaner and ripping the carbs apart again at a local campground. Very frustrating to say the least.

After getting home and getting the bike running well again, I contacted Gugltech here. I bought one of his neck filters and fitted a WIX33572 fuel filter. I run a Mikuni vacuum pump and push the fuel through the filter with no issues. I've not had a problem since.
  12. HiOctaneOverland

Oddometer:
    As I suggested in a previous post, I fitted the Golan in-line after the fuel pump using a coupe of QD connectors that fit right in with the OEM ones.

The bike runs just fine, no different that I can tell. Starts on the button and pulls like a train. The butt-dyno says good. Below is a pic of the install, I should add this is just for proof of concept. Obviously now I know it works I’ll trim the length back and make the routing a bit tidier. However, I’ll leave the original hoses as they should be so the filter can be removed at any time in just a few seconds.

0D3C09AF-4FCB-455B-8912-AB450F0B7AA8.jpeg
  13. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any experience of the Guglatech filters?