950 Super Enduro "Quick Question(s)" Thread...

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by WARRIORPRINCEJJ, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Mofo Flake

Mofo Flake Incompetent off-road Supporter

Oddometer:
    The correct length is sure to be about 6" more than what you buy.

When you do the sidestand relocation, do you remove the old mounting block also? Does anyone have a handy picture of what remaining after it is removed?
    alvincullumyork and outbacktm like this.
  2. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't remember the amount but the individual lengths are all on the parts diagram for the tank.

[​IMG]
  3. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    i got a 10m roll of 5/16 (8mm) on ebay quite cheap & i use 5/16 (8mm) only inc crossover

3m will give you spare
  4. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also be aware that there are 2 different sizes. The crossover between the tanks is a smaller hose.
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  5. oldfool

oldfool Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. go2cnavy

go2cnavy Dont Worry Be Brappy

Oddometer:
    Anybody willing to sell me a rear wheel? I'm itching to slap a skinny on the 990A. Thanks!
  7. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im out of ideas.
    Massive gurgle and misfire at high rpms.
    Idles and runs smooth until about 6k rpms, massive stumble and misfire.

Checked:
    Plugs
    Airflow
    Swapped mains
    Moved needle position
    Hoses and lines
    Set TPS to about 15 different settings
    Cables and connectors
    Bad fuel connector
    Drained carbs
    Carb rubbers
    Diaphrams

Any ideas?
  8. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Pull off the headlight bucket and start checking all the wiring for kinks, bare spots or loose connections. After checking behind the headlight, start tracing wiring back to the ECU, regulator and the relay/fuse block. I was having similar issues and found a random wire in the spaghetti of wires behind the mask that was kinked and frayed. Just fiddling with the wire while the bike was running made a difference. Cut and re-soldered as well as added some shrink tube and problem was fixed. Still have no idea where that wire goes or what it's connected to.
    Snowq and alongat like this.
  9. Helibee

Helibee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Snowq installed an mUnit Blue during his recent refresh.

Rev limiter pulling spark?
    Snowq likes this.
  10. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Morning,
    As Heli says, I have redone all the electronics and replaced everything with a m.unit.
    Only change I made to ECU wiring is feed, ground and removing the sidestand and neutral sensors.
    It's very odd because it was running ok all the way up to rev limit, then I calibrated the TPS and this problem appeared. I've tried setting the TPS back to where it was, and many more values but the problem persists.
    TPS has a steady Volt increase with throttle input from 0.545 V to 3.70.
  11. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    What’s the state of your rectifier?
    Snowq likes this.
  12. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Along
    Unknown, haven't measured it.
    I have had no issues with it before.
    But, ECU gets all its feed from the m.unit, rectifier only runs up to battery - can it still effect the ignition? :ear
  13. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I’m not suggesting the rectifier is the problem but if it is failing then it most certainly can impact all sorts of circuits given that they all have voltage range tolerance. Probably wouldn’t hurt to do a simple DC voltage test at idle, low revs and high revs to rule it out. If you see any voltage outside of around a 12-14.5 then that might be an indicator of a faulty rectifier.

With that said, it does sound like you’ve got a bare / frayed wire or poor ground (earth)...don’t rule that out just yet and double and triple check all connections and area of potential wear/stress.

Also, could you have disturbed any vent hoses, accidentally blocked one, kinked a vent hose or even fuel vent / supply a bit...Enough to impact requirements at higher revs and throttle inputs??? Trace your ignition coil stick wires all the way back to their source too...not sure I can think of anything else...

You mentioned going back and checking and even changing TPS - did you observe any behaviour difference one way or another after making TPS adjustments? If not then I’m thinking there could be some disconnect there...adjustments should make a noticeable difference regardless if it’s good or bad.
    Snowq likes this.
  14. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Wait...you said the ECU gets all its inputs from this M unit...what inputs exactly???
  15. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll check the rectifier to make sure its ok! probably a good thing to check anyway.
    Poor ground for plugs / ECU sounds like a very good option, I'll put that on the list.
    Just for my understanding; If I had a poor ground for ECU / Plugs, could it still run 'perfect' at low rpms, and then shit itself at 6k+?

I first checked the TPS due to it stumbling and misbehaving at low throttle inputs (cruising at 50 km/h was a stumblefest)
    Setting the TPS got rid of this completely, but instead I got this massive cut-off at high rpms.
    Moving it back and forth now, affects the cut-off moving it slightly up and down, but no matter how much i shift the TPS it wont go away, even disconnecting it does not remove it.

About the m.unit, the ECU only gets its main power feed from the unit as it controls the ignition on/off.
    Kill command etc is passed through m.unit and cuts power to ECU also.

Thanks for great advice Along, please keep em coming :)
  16. Helibee

Oddometer:
    Based on you experiencing the smoothing with tps adjustments, I'd lean toward the tps being faulty. Have a spare to swap and test?
    Boatman likes this.
  17. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope not but seems very possible now.
    unfortunately I do not have another one to test with.
    Do you think it might be faulty, even tho it produces the correct voltage? - I have no way of measuring this while riding of course so hard to tell how it behaves.
  18. Helibee

Oddometer:
    I'd be suspicious of the impact of vibration on a piece of electronics with a mechanical component. Short of the ECM chopping spark, the fact that you've been able to affect the behavior by adjusting the tps, leans it toward the tps to me. I suppose the ecm's "interpretation" of the tps voltage could be suspect too. Is your ECM soft mounted still?
    outbacktm likes this.
  19. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I’m not sure I agree with you guys. I asked if adjusting the TPS makes any difference to see if it is functioning at all...in absence of actually testing its reading and output.

Had he said that adjusting it makes no difference, I’d suspect the TPS but he says it does make a difference which suggests to me that it’s likely working rather than not working. I’m not saying unequivocally that the TPS is ok but given its doing something, I’m leaning toward it being ok until testing proves otherwise.
    alvincullumyork and Snowq like this.
  20. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    @gearheadE30 didn't you have an issue with the TPS on your ADV working on the bench, but cutting out during operation causing similar issues?
    alvincullumyork and Snowq like this.