950 Super Enduro "Quick Question(s)" Thread...

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by WARRIORPRINCEJJ, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the brainstorming guys! Appreciated! I'm the garage atm, just checked ground connections, looking over carbs right now, will report back shortly
  2. Helibee

Helibee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any chance you have a lift or a way to strap it down when on the centerstand? You could crank it up to test. A bit dangerous if not done with caution. Kind of a no-load dyno. :lol2

If you have any buddies with SE’s, you could try swapping ecm’s and/or tps’ too.
  3. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rhs fuel tap on my bike has for some reason wound in and 1/2 turned fuel supply off,ran like a pig.
  4. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just back from testrun!
    2/4 attempts resulted in true revlimiter!! :smile6
    Possible causes:
    - Vacuum line for fuelpump was not seated 100%
    - bad ground for ECU and coils, gave them ground straight from battery. I believe this to be the most likely cause.

I believe the remaining 2/4 failed attempts are due to bad jetting from me trying a lot of different setups without being able testrun properly.

-lessons learned :
    Coils and ECU are very sensitive to ground.
    Coils need for ground increases with Rpm.
    Can run just fine on low rpms and then shit itself at higher.

My god boys
    Thanks for all your support!
    WSobchak, LocuL, outbacktm and 3 others like this.
  5. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Massive misfire is different from my symptoms - I had a really inconsistent flat spot, surging, and nonlinear throttle response along with crap fuel economy when it got worse. But yes, my tps worked fine on the bench, presumably because I was pushing in while turning it. On the bike, voltage jumped around and dropped out entirely in a few places.

@Snowq you said it ran fine until you started playing with the TPS? I'd go over everything you touched to do that really carefully, and depending on how you're taking readings on the TPS, I'd look really closely at the connectors to make sure there are no kinked, broken, or otherwise damaged wires.

EDIT: missed a post while I was typing. Yep, coil packs are sensitive to grounding. Failure is usually as you say, where a poor ground prevents the coil from charging adequately. The spark breaks up a higher rpm and larger throttle openings where the coil fires more rapidly and higher cylinder pressure makes it harder to create a spark at the plug. Makes sense that this could be the issue.
    alvincullumyork and Snowq like this.
  6. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Gearhead
    How did you determine that your TPS was the issue? Did it work fine on the bench but crap on the bike?
    When setting mine I had it tight enough that i could only just move it with one finger, making sure it made constant contact and no leaning to any side. - they are damn sensitive!
    I am still not sure how the grounds could have been affected by me setting the TPS, probably but unlikely I have moved or somehow affected the ground leads when fishing out the TPS connector.
    My grounds have not been soldered yet, but are in Wago connectors until I'm happy with all the wiring.
    I believe your right, as the compression increases and tps shifts the ignition slightly for WOT the ground connection was not good enough to keep the spark from not being extinguished by compression.
    Interesting that it made such and abrupt cut-off, I would think it would be more intermittent.
    With a good ground and TPS set to 0.55 closed it runs silky smooth when cruising.
    Still have a stumble at close to top rpms, but I think that's just bad jetting.
  7. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suspected the TPS once the surge started getting worse, just from past experience with what a failing TPS feels like on cars. Mine tested fine on the bench and failed testing on the bike. I agree, grounds sound unlikely....but there isn't a whole lot else that you've mentioned touching that could cause it. Usually a worn TPS is just surging, flat spots, and other annoying but ultimately minor behavior.

BTW if the TPS is unplugged, I believe the ECM defaults to the WOT base map. The TPS is only used to add additional timing for smaller throttle openings and idle, since the lower part throttle cylinder pressures and rpm require more advance for efficient combustion.

Most of the 950s I have ridden have a bit of a flat spot or stumble for the last 700 rpm or so depending on how they are jetted. I have tried to tune this out but I seem to lose midrange in the process, and I don't usually rev it out that far anyway. I haven't figured out what causes this, but assume it is something to do with the dynamics of the needle and the CV part of the carb.
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  8. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone fitted a oil cooler to their SE? Riding around in 40 deg heat in Morocco at the moment, bikes coping well but you can feel it through the gear box as the heat builds during the day. Gear Chang becomes very notchy
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  9. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I’ve got something to show you when you’re back Andy - problem is there isn’t a great spot for mounting an oil cooler on the bike without a fairing...you can get creative and put it in front of the tank on the left side but that’s not ideal.
    Bonnie & Clyde and mountaincadre like this.
  10. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds intriguing! Aiming to be back end of June. Bike needs a fairing better lights,
    Seat remodel (3rd attempt). Much louder horn! All that said as a two up travel bike it’s doing bloody amazing.
  11. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Interested in an oil cooler option.
  12. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I found this little gem made in Germany in a few sizes. It’s billet and about 4.5cm by 4.5cm (less than 2” x 2”) and not too long.

IMG_1317.jpg
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  13. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I think that offers a few mounting options but for my bike, I’ve got a spot in my rally tower that will accommodate a small radiator style cooler. There in that cavity behind the lights...

IMG_0903.jpg
  14. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Anyone that is interested and I must say that I'm not happy about it, but, anyway. Rade Garage have dropped the price on the SE underseat tank by 140 Euros.
    Obviously to much grief. It can be made to work though.
  15. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Yes - it was a €329 experiment that ended in big disappointment for me...I’m convinced the only way to make it work correctly is to drill the front tank and run the rear tank vent into the front tank. I’m not prepared to do that on my SE...
  16. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn’t the Suzuki DR350 have a curved oil cooler designed to sit around the headstock?
    I think the one’s that you have found Alon would be fine, the 1190 on he’d a small cooler mounted directly off the engine.
  17. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Yes, I’m familiar with the 1090/1190/1290 cooler but that one can be small because it’s cooled by the engine’s cooling system vs solely a heat sink so no cooler you use could be as small as that on the 1090/1190/1290.
  18. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a look at used ducati parts, they have rather small curved and straight oil coolers.
    I looked at one of those, can't remember from what model to use on my SE.
  19. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheers for the clarification on the 1190cooler Alon
  20. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Yeah - I’ve seen those too. Google Citroen 2CV oil cooler. I swear it’s ideal :)