950 Super Enduro "Quick Question(s)" Thread...

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by WARRIORPRINCEJJ, Jun 20, 2010.

1. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quick question: which aftermarket oil filters are you guys using on the 950?

I have a Scotts stainless steel oil filter and I'm thinking I might switch to a paper filter. Washing out and re-using oil filters just feels weird.
  2. dsrtuckteezy

dsrtuckteezy BLEEDING ORANGE

Oddometer:
    Hiflofiltro hf650 or k&n 158. Have had no problem with either despite some ppl bagging on the k&n
    WSobchak likes this.
  3. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:

Scotts stainless for me. Oil change is time consuming any way. Drain your oil then pull that filter 1st clean it let it dry. You have 2 other screen filters you should be cleaning any way at the same time. Plus the scotts won't collapse like paper filters could. My 2 cents
    WSobchak likes this.
  4. dsrtuckteezy

dsrtuckteezy BLEEDING ORANGE

Oddometer:
    Stainless filter won't catch water like a paper filter either, which is a downside. Pros and cons of both.
  5. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    My 690 front is plug and play
  6. Patrickdunaway

Patrickdunaway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Strange. I measured last night and the rotor on the 690 wheel sits around 4mm closer to the center of the hub...its from a 2016+ bike. Wonder if spacing changed.
  7. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not just go with the 2.15. Better selection of rim locks, works better with tubliss, morer better for dirt tires, etc. If I ever get around to it I want to lace up a 2.15 A60 rear. I almost never ride on the street anymore, but I almost never ride my 950 anymore either.
  8. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    I hadn't seen any photos of you on the950 but wasn't sure if it was down for a refresh. :)

I might look into the 2.15 in the future. I think I'm set for wheels now (the stock hub took a beating but I think it's good to go) but will keep my eyes out for an A60 rim and see if I can match up lacing and such..

But then again as I friend pointed out, the dirt star SE rear rim seems to hold up to a LOT of abuse. Not sure i've ever seen on bent that badly (maybe a front or two but that's a bit more understandable given the weight of the BOP (Big Orange Pig).
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  9. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    Bingo...the other thing with paper filters is even if they're rated at 99% efficiency at 25 micron, they're still >70% efficient down to ~10 microns. Stainless is 0% efficient below the screen size (which I think is 30 microns on the scotts). I HAVE seen industrial diesel engines fail due to poor filtration when using screen type filters before (~gross amounts of 15-20um silica particles embedded in bearings to the point they looked like sandpaper). I have yet to see an engine with paper filters fail in the same manner.

There's nothing to the 950 cartridge paper filters, so whatever's cheapest as long as there aren't any tears is what I generally pick up. Hi flo filtro is the current stock.
  10. never been

never been Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yip certainly will. Just need other spacers. Put a front motard wheel from my 525 right in.
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  11. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Finally time to replace the Shorai battery. I have seen prices from $179 at Revzilla to $98 on Amazon for the same battery. What is everyone using and should I be leery of buying one from Amazon? Here is a pic from this weekend on the last ride on the battery. Two days later it was completely flat.

[​IMG]
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  12. godwinmt

Oddometer:
    I've been using the anti-gravity restart on my 450 with good results...don't know if they make one for the SE or not, but it's nice having the button in the event I need to start the bike when the battery is dead (or I crash and the push button gets broken in the 'on' position) since it doesn't have a kicker.
    Bearded Hooligan likes this.
  13. outbacktm

outbacktm Bullrun Bison Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good chance the ones on Amazon for $99 are older than the ones from Revzilla
    If that matters to you
  14. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    I tried two Shorai’s & neither one lasted : JUNK.
    I went back to AGM :thumb

Just remember your not going to roll off a 950SE to bump start it
    sanjoh and Boatman like this.
  15. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:

Thanks Brown:thumb

Bump started it twice in Alaska before I learned not to charge things at night when camping.
    outbacktm likes this.
  16. snarf

snarf WFO and clueless

Oddometer:
    I've had a 50/50 success rate with lithium batteries.. had a shorai in my 990, and it was great, no problems. Had an earthx in my SE, and it was crap.. would intermittently just quit while riding.. like the battery magically came disconnected. A few minutes later, it would fire right up again and work with no issues. When 'down', the dash wouldnt come on, no signs of life at all.. completely dead. I have an AGM in the SE now.

Regarding oil filters, I use cheap paper ones.. Hiflos are in the garage now. I like to use the paper elements as an early warning system for the water pump
    godwinmt likes this.
  17. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    Magura clutch masters...

I just installed my 3rd piston/rebuild since May. Leaks and/or bleeds off and engages on me, levers wear out quickly also (flopping about, wears out at barrel/adjuster, etc). Obviously the bore is out of round/damaged (getting silver in fluid reservoir). It’s the 10.5

My local generic dirt bike shop can’t get the "old style" Magura, but can get the "new style"...is this a viable replacement? How about changing size down to the 9.5 for "1 finger operation"...anyone done this with success? I have a friend with an SE who sent his MC out to a place in NY where they bored and installed a copper sleeve...anyone with experience with this?

I need to take care of this, it’s getting old.

Speaking of clutches, mine is noisy (rattles and sometimes has the "groan")…is there a common failure/wear item(s) here I should plan on ordering?

Thanks
  18. godwinmt

Oddometer:
    I ran a 1190 master cylinder on my old 990, it has a larger bore than the 950 so it was a harder engagement. If you can get a new style in a 10.5mm bore it should be no different. I can't comment on the smaller diameter bore.

@gearheadE30 had his ADV master sleeved. It is still working. That would let you still run a MME lever etc. if you wanted to lighten the clutch force.

Noisy clutch I believe gearhead can comment on as well. It's the clutch booster wearing out.

outbacktm, snarf, gearheadE30 and 2 others like this.
  19. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    Apple Hydraulics in NY
    Same scenario, three rebuilds in less than a year, haven't touched it since

+1 on the MME Lever (If you need the bolt hole fixed, I can open it up and make a bushing for you)
    +1 on clutch booster, same issue, same fix
  20. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, Apple Hydraulics did mine, too.
    bobnoxious67 likes this.