950 Super Enduro "Quick Question(s)" Thread...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by WARRIORPRINCEJJ, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    inmate on here @gefr did my clutch resleeve some 30k miles ago
    bobnoxious67 likes this.
  2. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    So I rode last weekend & Monday went to ride to work and the lights came on but that was it. Acted like it wanted to start, then the battery went completely dead. It was at least a 6 yr old Shorai battery. Picked up a conventional sealed battery today, put it in. All lights come right on, but nothing, not even a click when I hit the starter. All fuses are good. The only thing I noticed was the power cable from the starter relay to the started had some melted cable right at the starter. Checked the cable and power is getting from the battery to the starter. Any suggestions on a fix?
  3. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Put a heavy gauge jumper across the starter relay. Check side stand safety switch, clutch safety switch and perhaps you may even have a flooded cylinder from a stuck / leaky float jet seal.
  4. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    The battery cable housing from the positive side to the starter relay was melted as well as right where it connected to the starter. What is best practice for repairing this, heat shrink? I know that’s not the issue, just thought I’d fix that while I was in there. Cables are still delivering power to the starter, just nothing. I can hear a slight click at the starter relay when pressing the starter. Electrical issues are the issues I know the least about.
  5. outbacktm

outbacktm Bullrun Bison Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tried jumping the relay as mentioned
  6. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Ok, that works. This means I need to replace the starter relay, correct? Both fuses are still good, must just be a coincidence that the relay went out the same time the Shorai quit. Also, where is a good source for getting new battery cables?
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    If the jumper works then yes, the starter relay is the fault. They do corrode and fail once in a blue moon...as for wiring, I’ve got an electrical background in my deep past so I always make my own cabling using high quality car audio fine stranded wire and gold plated terminals. eBay, your local car audio store, etc should have everything you need. Use dielectric grease on connections and you’ll be fine for decades.
    outbacktm likes this.
  8. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Any one know the diameter of the wire used for the positive side of the battery, same wire as from the starter relay to the starter? Total length is 775mm or about 30.5".

Thanks
  9. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    If you source a fine stranded silicone jacket 8 gauge, that will be more than adequate.
    Helibee, Bearded Hooligan and Boatman like this.
  10. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    What is the best way to remove a stuck bolt from one of the brass fittings in the Safari tank? This is one of the ones that holds the front cross brace on. I already cut the head off so I could get the tank off. Grabbing it with pliers the bolt spins but so does the brass insert. Thoughts?
  11. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Thoughts? Sell it and get a Powercell tank :-)
    Helibee and alvincullumyork like this.
  12. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Haha...knew that would be coming. I like the range of the Safari and dont want to have to buy another seat. My Seat Concepts is broken in just right after 30k+ miles.
    SpeedyR and bigtodd like this.
  13. outbacktm

outbacktm Bullrun Bison Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just did one like that on the 690 RR tank
    Pull completely out. Vice and vice grips to remove bolt
    JB back in after cleaning threads, I had to use a clamp to press it back in
  14. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/fixing-a-spinning-tank-threaded-insert.1226204/
  15. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    So quick question, What is the difference in the ADV to SE when converting from 2 into 2 / and \ 2 into 1? I think there is a mid pipe difference? What about hanger location? I have a nice set of titanium FMF duals on my SE now but I found this on Amazon and for $370 it might be worth a try? It says its for an ADV so will it fit an SE? There are 3 videos of installation showing hanger mounting and sound test.

https://www.amazon.com/Nicecnc-Tita...950+Remus+exhaust&qid=1570636367&sr=8-1-fkmr1
  16. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    SE has a different mid pipe.
    Boatman, Helibee and Bonnie & Clyde like this.
  17. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

SE pipe on top of the Adv pipe...

20191009_150947.jpg
    alongat, Bonnie & Clyde and Dusty like this.
  18. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Hey Boatman, are you still fabricating the Hoop style luggage racks? I was thinking there might be a big market for the small Hoop Bags Wolfman used to offer that fit inside the hoops. I am ready to order if you get around to making them, those bags seem to be on the unobtainium list.

[​IMG]
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  19. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    @Boatman So they are not even close and that kit I mentioned probably won't fit
  20. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would mate up to the front headers fine. But the hanger on the midpipe wouldn't line up. Also the muffler would be about 2" further rearward. Very slight chance you could make it fit.
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.