950 Super Enduro "Quick Question(s)" Thread...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by WARRIORPRINCEJJ, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    ummm...have you suffered any DNFs in Washington while racing with that 908?...
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  2. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was my fault.... I screwed up the install on my mousse. :baldy

You're welcome! :D :lol3
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  3. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to give you a hard time about that one Alvin. And it's about 5 months away for redemption...
    alvincullumyork and outbacktm like this.
  4. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    I might be leaning towards running my 300. I kind of want to see how I can do for the 100 miler.
  5. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    When i bumped into Wes a couple years ago over in Parump for a rally class, he casually said that the Adventure class should also do the 100 miler! The crazy thing is that he is fully capable to easily go that far. He did plant the seed though...i keep thinking about entering my 950A in the 100 mile class and not telling anyone. I've done the 100 miler before on my 525 and it was awesome!...well except for a small off that tore my inner thigh muscle, miniscus, bone bruise on the knee, and some ACL damage...all at only mile 30 (with 70 miles to go). When i got to the pits at mile 50 i couldn't walk so i put the kickstand down and just fell off the bike. Since everyone in the pit are always awesome at moto events, some random guys refilled my tank full gas and my water bladder full of water. I grabbed my lower pant leg and heaved it back over the seat (right leg didn't work anymore) and went out for another loop. It was one of the more painfull things that i've done (maybe most?). I was screaming out loud anytime my knee got jarred. Pretty much had to ride on only my left leg for 3 hours straight. But no DNFs for this guy. It was epic! Can't wait for more. If you haven't done the full 100 miler, you need to definitely need to get that under your belt. Whether it's this next year or the year after, but just make sure you do it. The enery in the pit area is awesome when you do the 100 miler. It's something you don't get to experience in the 50 miler. That's another reason why i'd kinda like to try the 100 miler on the 950.
  6. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    I'd like a 100 mile ADV class but it's already small and most people wouldn't do it. It's actually easier out there on my 950 than it would be on a small bike. You can't really muscle the 950 around like you can a little bike so I just let it do most of the work.
    Boatman and Whodatschrome like this.
  7. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you imagine the attrition rate of a 100 mile ADV class? There would probably be only a couple finishers. At the same time those few finishers probably knew that they were signing up for a suicide mission anyhow so they are bound to finish.

And about being easier on a big bike, i found that was the same for me too. I thought it was just me who thought that. I came to the conclusion that you don't try to muscle it around, just hang on. I made that mistake when i raced in the ADV class earier this year at the Virginia City Grand Prix. I was crashing my 950A all over the place! I lost about 15-20 minutes crashing and fixing broken junk, plus all that wasted energy picking it back up. I even got to be "that guy" who lowsided at the start trying to get the holeshot! That was funny as all get out! Sliding my 500lb bike down the paved city street in front of EVERYONE! (Somebody on their instagram has it on video) Yes, it was embarressing, but if you crash in front of a huge crowd, you're automatically an underdog, and people LOVE rooting for the underdog! I did my best to showboat for them on all the laps after that. Rippin wheelies up the city street, and doing my best to jump the drop going back down the street. You need to come out to that event this year. It was lots of fun. Brian raced the full course on his 950SE a few years back (he's the only person to ever race the full course on a twin). They had us race on a "short" 7-8 mile loop along with a bunch of other classes. The course wasn't too bad if you were fresh (it was still challenging for sure), but after a few laps fatigue really hits you...especially when you have to fight your way though slower riders who jam up the trail. If you didn't get "creative" with some of your lines you could be completely stopped in at a log jam for 15 minutes.
  8. ThorCT

ThorCT Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Re: the 908 - Yeah Alvincullumyork, but after reading about some of your escapades I think we can say that you are certainly an outlier in many aspects of SE ownership. ;-)

Jeff
  9. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    908 POS.
    Try an MC23 Rockrider, less than half the price and a good all rounder with great wear.
  10. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:

If you ain't part of the action your part of the traction.
    enduro16, bigborett and Whodatschrome like this.
  11. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! That actually happened at my first enduro!..I WAS the traction. During the special test speed section, my 450exc went most of the way off the edge of the trail. Being that the race was in the tillamook state forest, it was more like a 80 degree drop off and muddy. It took a couple minutes to get the bike even just halfway back on the trail. The whole time other racers were wizzing by about every 30 seconds. Pretty soon my bike was perpendicular in the narrow trail and a guy came through at top speed and used my bike as a launch ramp. Of course rubbing is racing, so I had to let that go. Then another guy rode over my bike, then another, and another, and another. It was pretty dang funny I suppose...even more so looking back on it.
  12. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at several mostly stock SEs. I've owned several 990s so I'm mostly familiar with the LC8 world, but less familiar with the carbed variety.

It looks like VRR relocation and fuel pump mod (Dr bean) and(?) relocation are advised? Would also swap to akras and open intake, which means just a rejet, or other adjustments?

This would be exclusively a race bike, so advanced preparation saves wasted entry fees.
  13. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    There is a good carb settings thread that gives feedback on different setups and locations. Saved me some time when I installed my Triple Clamp Moto airfilter. Bike runs amazing with Wings, Triple Clamp Airfilter Setup and jetting just right. Yes, VRR relocation, fuel pump, water pump shaft and clutch slave should make it virtually bullet proof.
    outbacktm and GoGoGavin41 like this.
  14. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill

Oddometer:
    All the more impressive without the free Medicare thing.
  15. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    And to follow up with the Bearded Holligan’s recommendation on the water pump shaft...convert over from the 950 short water pump to the late model 990 long water pump. Supposedly it cools better. And yes, go after the Dr Bean kit. No need to over complicate it and make it more problematic with a Faucet conversion. Also since it’s a race bike, get rid of the stock rear shock and install the rear shock from an Adventure model (unless you have plans for something more exotic). Maybe convert over to a 2 into 1 exhaust if you’re really trying to save weight (but I REALLY like the looks of dual rears though). The only other thing i can think of is to somehow not destroy the SE radiator with the front tire banging against it (yes, it’s common).
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  16. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    With the exception of some very early 2006 model year super enduros, all super enduros use the longer water pump shaft and any stock shaft that you would buy as part of a rebuild kit from KtM will be that long shaft (for years now). KtM did update the water pump impeller for the later 2009/2010 990 engines (uses the same exact shaft) to a slightly different shape however I’m not convinced that it flows any better except for low revs and it requires the updated water pump housing as well since it’s height and shape is different than the older style impeller. Updating the impeller without changing the water pump housing is not recommended. Updating the housing and using the old impeller will not work as there will be interference.

As others mentioned, there are a few things to consider for race-proofing these bikes:
    1- regulator/rectifier with an improved waterproof connector
    2- water pump (maintenance)
    3- open air filter system
    4- exhaust system (mufflers or a 2in1 if you want the left side open for additional fuel and weight saving)
    5- correct jetting and carb refresh
    6- dr bean fuel pump kit
    7- drill your swingarm underneath at the very back to drain water
    8- buy a spare radiator :)
    9- steering damper kit depending on your personal needs
    10- sidestand relocate / reinforcement
    11- subframe reinforcement
    12- either replace the handlebar mount bolts and rubber bushings with new or eliminate the rubber with BRP aluminum bushings
    13- for racing, you’ll quickly find the rear shock to be underwhelming; Adv shock, Tractive, etc - you choose..we can all help you
    14- new cam chain tensioners (maintenance, not an upgrade)
    15- have a spare clutch master on hand and consider an aftermarket clutch slave (Oberon, etc)
    16- depending on your braking needs, consider updating brake discs - Moto-master floating front and solid discs from the KtM factory rally bikes bolt right on and I’ve yet to find better quality or design discs. They’re worth every penny because of their metallurgy alone
    17- fork service and tune...you’d be amazed what a spring swap, fresh oil and a bit of shim valving can do
    18- swap the stock rear lower chain guide for something like the BRP all plastic (or any other all plastic that fits a 2002-2007 KtM 525). The original can bend and jam up your chain...
    19- silicone coolant hose and clamp kit (samco, etc)

The rest is are usual maintenance items...clean the clutch jet, change the crankcase breather seal, yadda yadda...
    enduro16, ThirdUncle, Dusty and 2 others like this.
  17. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    The plan is to swap the Ohlins over to the SE, put the SE suspension on the Adv, and sell it.

I'm also looking at some "less conventional" headlight set ups that would require relocating / consolidating headlight mask wiring. I know on the Adv that's a tall order. Looks more reasonable on the SE. Is it straightforward to stuff all of that just behind the steering head under the tank?
  18. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think it’s post #9 in this thread where I did mine. Took a few beers of time. Nothing hard.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/exc-headlight-mask-on-se.1063828/
    GoGoGavin41 and Boatman like this.
  19. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Any feedback or a discussion link to this appreciated.

I am currently running dual FMF Ti exhaust on my SE. I want to try one of these mid pipes http://thegastankstore.com/product_...=1055&osCsid=ce9bca132197df08c538abb70fd89c73 It seems like an easy and cost effectieve way to just swap the mid pipe out and bolt it on to my current FMF Ti pipe. Nothing permanent and can go back to duals if needed. I do have questions on where the motor will run hotter and will the pipe flow enough with a 2 into 1? Again any thoughts or feedback welcome. I have not seen any pics of a 2 into 1 using a FMF pipe mostly Remus or Rotti etc. I was looking to drop a few pounds and maybe gain some low end grunt and possibly keep the shock and regulator a bit cooler. The bike runs perfectly now and I havent had any shock fade I just can't leave well enough alone. I need to see for myself what the 2into1 feels like and runs like.
  20. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Maybe ask this guy....
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/990-single-side-exhaust-and-aux-fuel-tank.1416853/
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.