950 Super Enduro "Quick Question(s)" Thread...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by WARRIORPRINCEJJ, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked into ditching the key switch a while back but never got around to doing it. As I recall it was going to be a simple on/off switch.
  2. ThorCT

ThorCT Lets Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think float needles/eats are more likely the issue than anything else. They sometimes just don't seal well...and the issue usually pops up after a bike has been sitting for a while.

I heard this over 25 years ago and still believe it to be true - The worst thing you can do to an engine is let it sit unused.
    mountaincadre likes this.
  3. ThorCT

Oddometer:

Speaking of Powercell. I'm completely and utterly unimpressed with mine. I bought it last September and just now getting around to installing it. It does not fit worth a crap. It has been sitting in the house on the stock cardboard panel since it arrived and it has never had gas in it so it didn't "warp" in the down time. If I adjust the tank so the back bolt fits correctly, the rear of the tank is sitting 5/8" to the right, the front bumper isn't fully in the nose of the tank, the left side bumper isn't in position at all, and the gap at the radiators is different by more than 1/4".

Also, the seat didn't fit either (yes, I have an OEM SM seat) - There are two issues here; 1, There is not enough distance between knob on the tank and the hooks at the subframe/frame junction for the seat to go into place without me tilting back the battery and 2. The distance between the tank knob and the back seat lock is also too short for the seat to lock into place. It is like the tank needs to go 3/8" further forward...but it can't because at that point the front mounting bumper will limit movement.

After about 1.5hrs of cutting on the seat pan, and making a new forward mount seat knob (spacer and offset drilled washer) I finally got the seat mounted....but only if the rear tank bolt is not in place. If I bolt the tank in place first there is ZERO way the seat will fit. So, I think I'm going to have to weld a weld-on nut in the new spot in order for the tank to fit. Super F&ing frustrating.

Finally, the inserts for the gas tank collar are not lined up properly either...some are canted, some are just slightly in the wrong position. I had to drill out the collar holes by .4mm to get enough space for all of the bolts to fit.

Oh, and it isn't a bike issue, I have two SEs and the tank has the same malfitment issues on both bikes.

For the money this tank costs this is inexcusable. My safari fits perfect on either bike. I completely regret buying this tank and now feel a little stuck with it.

Am I the only one who has had issues with the PC tank?
  4. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    What did Ken say when you called him?
  5. ThorCT

Oddometer:
    Basically that I'm mounting it wrong and it is not the tank. He is willing to work through it with me so I'm working on sending him pictures so he can see what I see.

Really curious though if I'm the only one who has had these issues? I know about the ethanol fuel swelling issue but that is not at all the problem I'm having.

So, anybody who has one want to chime in?
  6. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’ve heard of some small fitting issues that just needed a little finesse, my rear attach point did, but nothing major or anything like you’ve listed. Good luck.
  7. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    I've had my Powercell tank for almost 5 years now and most times the tank goes right on without issue. The times it doesn't though can be frustrating but persistence and patience (both are usually short for me) get the job done. I also started using a slightly longer bolt on the rear of the tank which makes it easier to get the bolt started. It does seem every tank is a little different ... one buddy never has any issue and another buddy fights with his every time.
  8. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    mine is sitting on the garage floor right now sans gas to get it back into shape to re mount. If I remove the tank and I've had ethanol gas in it, that does make it very difficult to get the rear screw in. I might try the longer screw trick, that might help.
  9. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what size o-ring fit on the brass elbows that go into the carbs?
  10. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    See post 7567 by Boatman
    alvincullumyork and Boatman like this.
  11. ThorCT

Oddometer:
    Anybody know the part number for the Erzberg front fender graphics?

Looked at 3 fiches for the 2009 model and they show the same graphics as all prior years with no F fender graphics.
  12. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Erzberg graphics are a kit.. if any still are available they are a non refundable special order... part number 63008199000
    LAKEMONSTER, 426john and Boatman like this.
  13. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah I put a screw driver on mine yesterday and stopped almost immediately and went to the impact.

Thanks @Boatman for the link! 30 o-rings for under $8, CJ designs has a kit but it's $16 for for 6.

@SpeedyR we had bad luck at almost the same time. :fpalm

Thanks @oldfuddy for pointing me a page back! :lol3

So yesterday and inmate, @dirtyboy , drove 4 hours to come and look at my SE that I have for sale. I had the tank and seat off so he could look everything over and when I went to put everything back on it started dumping gas... It was fine literally 2 days ago. :becca :baldy
    SpeedyR and 426john like this.
  14. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Love my powercell tank. Came with my bike. Tank fits without issue have the longer rear bolt. The seat needs to be almost bent at the nose a bit to slide into the locking pin thing.
    426john likes this.
  15. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    I am pretty sure mine was a stuck float? I took the tank off and ran it a couple of different times with an external fuel tank and not a drop anywhere to be seen.

I'm making a new fuel line today and will button it back up and see if I have any issues. I'll save the "pull the carbs apart again" for after our trip to the KAT in a few weeks.
  16. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for asking again lads, does anyone know if the Xplorer forks and shock from a 790 R could fit on a SE? I've got both a SE and the suspension lined up and ready to pull the trigger :)
  17. madafakinges

madafakinges SUPERENDURO

Oddometer:
    Give us an answer.
    kvango likes this.
  18. 426john

426john Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20200708_095702.jpg After a very long wait my original KTM parts arrived. I have documented on this thread how the bike would intermittently cut out 8 out of 10 it would not restart.
  19. 426john

426john Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20200708_113350.jpg After shaking down the whole bike , i changed the side stand swich , spent hours of my life reading this forum, even took the bike to my local shop for diagnostics. Nothing could resolve this intermittent cutting out. Fast fwd 2 months and ive just fitted a new pulse generator. Runs strong , no cutting out , can i check the resistance of the old part against whats recommended. Thanks
    Ps. Side note , the clutch pack looks assembled totally random , i was sure all dimples should line up , except the last one , also all the rough edges should all face inwards or outwards.
    kvango, outbacktm and godwinmt like this.
  20. 426john

426john Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anybody help me , whats value of resistance should the pulse generator have ?

This KTM part 60039034100 is used on all 950 , all 990 and 1050, & 1290.

Im going to write a separate post to document the very strange symptoms i experienced when this electronic part began to fail.
    outbacktm likes this.