950 Tool kit

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Bartman, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Bartman

Bartman SnowDog

Oddometer:
    And yes, I did search for it with no luck..... Can someone please post a list of the items that come in the stock tool kit? The bike I bought, for some reason didn't come with the tools and I need to determine what should be replaced. Better yet, if someone has a list of tools that I should be carrying for basic roadside repairs, it would be much appreciated. I think I have pushed my luck far enough in terms of riding without tools.....

Thanks
    Bart
  2. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. LC8Neal

LC8Neal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check that you have the bottle opener, in my mind the most important tool ever to grace a bikes tool kit.

I have the full list at home, which I will post tommorow.
  4. Reformed DucFlogger

Reformed DucFlogger Inventor Of The Wheel Mk2

Oddometer:
    Bear in mind that the owner manual's list of nut sizes and recommended torque settings is incorrect on at least 1 count if you're intending to buy sockets/wrenches aftermarket instead of using KTM factory tools.

It states that the axle bolts, crucial to get correct given have tubed tires, are 24mm troqued to such and such Nm.

The nuts, for the 950, are in fact 32mm - a little factoid I discovered when buying a socket for a torque wrench for said bolts/nuts. Would have led to some ugly comments about bastard Austrian translators under some roadside tree one day.

The 640 Adv axle nuts/bolts have a similar size mistake.
  5. Reformed DucFlogger

Oddometer:
    Bear in mind that the owner manual's list of nut sizes and recommended torque settings is incorrect on at least 1 count if you're intending to buy sockets/wrenches aftermarket instead of using KTM factory tools.

It states that the axle bolts, crucial to get correct given have tubed tires, are 24mm troqued to such and such Nm.

The nuts, for the 950, are in fact 32mm - a little factoid I discovered when buying a socket for a torque wrench for said bolts/nuts. Would have led to some ugly comments about bastard Austrian translators under some roadside tree one day.

The 640 Adv axle nuts/bolts have a similar size mistake.
  6. Bartman

Bartman SnowDog

Oddometer:
    Unless the stock tool kit was extraordinarily well made and/or specialized, it probably is more efficient to build my own tool set to carry on the bike. Good thing I didn't start buying pieces based on the owners manual.....

Thanks again
    Bart
  7. Reformed DucFlogger

Oddometer:
    The KTM kit is better than most, but still a factory bike tool kit (crap metal wrenches, etc). Nothing special other than that KTM bottle opener - now if they supplied a KTM cigar cutter, tube and zippo....

With all the storage room under the seat, I'm taking the time to get the metric/imperial calipers out, measuring the critical bolts to confirm their size and building a decent rachet-based tool kit.

My biggest piss-off is having to mount a bloody Pelican to the rear rack to carry tubed-tire repair gear after decades of a small tubless plug kit.

I'm REALLY tempted to use some Ride-On tube goo for daily riding, but am hestitating becasue of paranoia about balance-issues, etc. Changing a tube on a long trip is one thing, 30 minutes from the house is something else.
  8. LC8Neal

LC8Neal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is the list from KTM UK, I fortunately haven't had much need for spannering at the side of the road, so can't vouch for any of it yet, apart from the bottle opener, that works very well.

I am planning to add a few chosen tools to the kit before I can afford to replace any of it, and thanks for the heads up about bolt sizes.

Tool bag (in orange of course), engineers pliers, reversible screwdriver, bottle opener with 13mm ring spanner, 8 & 10mm open ended wrench, 10 & 13mm open ended wrench, 5mm & 8mm allen keys, 6mm 'T' handle hex wrench, 6mm + 8mm + 10mm sockets, hex drive long extension, double hex drive spark plug socket, double hex drive extension, double hex wrench handle, 24mm & 32mm single hex spanners, extension handle for spanner.

I hope this helps.
  9. Bartman

Bartman SnowDog

Oddometer:
    Excellent.

Thanks Neal.

DucFlogger, if you ever get around to putting together a list of tools based on your measurements, I would love to see the list.

Thanks again
    Bart
  10. arroyoshark

arroyoshark Needing some space

Oddometer:
    One thing I noticed that wasn't included in the OEM tool kit is a 19mm socket or wrench to remove the sump bolt to drain oil. Found that out on a trip.
  11. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    On or recent trip to Copper Canyon, one of our riders on an Beemer 1150GS adventure was damn glad we where carrying that old fashion crap, you know, tire irons and a spare tube, when he picked up a sizable, un-pluggable puncture in his sidewall...

Seriously, though. A spare tube and a couple of tire irons? Hardly bigger than a high quality tire plug kit.
  12. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    The small wrenches, hex keys, small sockets & drive, screwdriver, etc. are easily replaced with high quality, comparitively low cost tools from your local sears or other hardware store.

Getting the 24mm and 32mm wrenches for the axle in a compact size, with a way of adding leverage if needed, is a little trickier. Those parts along with the extension, and of course the KTM bottle opener, are the ones to consider ordering from KTM. And possibly the spark-plug tools. I haven't pulled the plugs on the 950, but often the factory tool is just about the only way to get in there...

There is a light weight wrench made specifically for dirt bike axles, called the riders wrench, sold through a variety of brands including moose, msr, etc. (all the same wrench, I think made by Fredette...), but I don't think they have something in a 24mmX32mm.

[​IMG]

You'd have to buy two, the 32x22, and the 24x17 or 24x19.

I also love the little three-way y-handle hex wrench, sold in most bicycle stores. It seems like the most frequent minor adjustments and repairs can be done with one of these...

[​IMG]

And the Motion Pro MP tool kit. It is tiny and has an amazing assortment of tools. I always carry it when riding the dirt bikes, and it would be right at home on the 950 as well...

[​IMG]
  13. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Besides its most useful purpose of opening Corona's, it's also designed to open the oil filler screw cap, in case you tighten it to much after using the bottle opener excessively. :nod
  14. TymeRider

TymeRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, ditto. Found that out during my oil change in Anchorage during my recent Alaska trip. Fortunately I had thrown a Crescent wrench into my toolkit.
  15. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shit, that's the one tool I didn't get, and it sure would come in handy. Ifind that it's a pain to tighten cap enough not to leak without making it nigh impossible to loosen by hand in that confined space.
  16. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please correct me someone if I'm wrong. On my last oil change when I pulled the tranny screen out my removing the small plate on side of motor, all the oil drained out of the sump. I did this before removing drain plug. When I removed drain plug no oil came out at all. So you can still do Mexican oil changes without the 19MM.
  17. pieman

pieman On the path

Oddometer:
    Interesting. My kit seems to be missing the double hex drive stuff. Are you able to post a picture or some further description...?
  18. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
  19. pieman

pieman On the path

Oddometer:
  20. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    No worries brother...we're just having fun. Good luck - keep us updated.

I wish I had included the model year in the poll. I'm starting to wonder if there's any correlation in the missing sparkplug wrench.