950 windscreens

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by todd900ss, May 15, 2004.

1. todd900ss

todd900ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Show me your windscreens or add on screens. I'm going on a long trip
    and would like to know whats out there.
    Thanks
  2. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Todd, I have a laminar lip and installing this weekend. Where is your big trip to?
    I am going to alaska next summer and working up now.
  3. todd900ss

todd900ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to Mammoth Lakes, CA at the end of June.
    Todd
  4. Renegade6

Renegade6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made this one out of Lexan. This was version one, version two is a bit bigger, cuts way down on the buffeting.

Attached Files:

5. Ibarra

Ibarra Viva Mexico !

Oddometer:
  6. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    Has anyone shortened the screen with one or two inches? A pic maybe?

My new Arai Tour X turned out to be a nightmare on a 950 for me... :cry Excellent helmet, great comfort and fab looks but the beak(?) sits exactly in the turbulence of the screen. Anything over 80-85 mph is causing the helmet, my head and then my eyes to juggle in their sockets with a tiring blurred vision as a result. :bluduh

I never had any problems like this with the RX7 lid the Tour X replaced. Raising my head an inch or two (hard to estimate) stops the shaking, lowering my head makes things even worse. Damn this is irritating!!! :baldy
  7. seh750

seh750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did. I love the results! I did a rough cut to get the height and now need to go back and clean it up. The wind hits my head at the base of my helmet. Keeps the chest out of the cold air and keeps the head in nice smooth air.

I'm fairly tall, 6'4" with a long torso, and have found shorter windscreens work well for me on most bikes.
  8. stu harris

stu harris n00b

Oddometer:
    I've sliced mine down. Here's a pic but since then I've cut it further so its3 inches above the console line. Zero buffeting with a TourX! I'm 6 ft and found the height in the pic ok with an Arai Quantum but still got the vibe with the TX. Only cutting it down to bikini fairing size got rid of the buffeting entirely.

Stu

Attached Files:

9. KTMax

Oddometer:
    Pfew... That's quite a radical 950 haircut... :huh :D Do you know how much you took off in cm's or inches? Looks like some 3" or even more.

@seh750: how much did you took off?

I don't mind some buffeting but a bit of clear view on the road would be nice. :lol3
  10. seh750

seh750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took off about 1 1/2 - 2 inches. Not quite as radical as stu's but pretty close.
  11. rcniss

rcniss Not that way!!

Oddometer:

Anyone have some better pictures of this windshield?
  12. Renegade6

Renegade6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. eskimo

eskimo gunga-galunga

Oddometer:
  14. Singletrack

Singletrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got tired of wind buffeting from the stock windscreen so I removed it and tried the bike without it.

AWESOME! :D :D :D :D

I can't believe the difference in the 'percieved' weight of the bike without the tall windscreen !!! The bike feels 50lbs. lighter without the visual mass of the windscreen in front of me. Feels like a SuperMoto bike now. I imagine this is what a 990 DUKE will feel like (except even faster) :eek1

Plus, the helmet buffeting is eliminated, and noise is lower.

The only downside is more wind pressure on the torso that requires a firmer hold on the bars harder above 130Kph (85 Mph). Not the ideal ticket for extended highway runs.

I think the solution will be cutting the windscreen down by half the amount above the dashboard, like others have done. I imagine going to a larger screen will just make the bike look and feel heavier.

I'll be doing that after I install my carbon tank guards. Thanks to Flanny :thumb
  15. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    My screenasectomy looks much like Stu Harris'. I cut the screen by 8 cm (a bit over 3") and cut two extra triangles from the sides to make the remainder look a bit less decapitated / blunt. The noise was a lot less, but still too much, so I had three options:
    -cut it further down
    -wait for Ricky to go aerodynamic on all of us
    -try to guide the wind by using what I cut off two weeks before (and kept!)

I went for the last one, here's the result. May look stupid, but it lowered the buffeting zone by some three inches. And that was exactly how much I needed: the buffeting went down from my visor to my neck. The second photo shows the tricky bit: we (me and Ricky's brother, who lives in Amsterdam... :D) made a joint between the two parts that actually holds the spoiler in position.

Attached Files:

16. PeeBee

Oddometer:
    The joint.

Attached Files:

17. rcniss

rcniss Not that way!!

Oddometer:
    PeeBee, Very cool idea :thumb

May I ask how tall you are???
  18. PeeBee

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I thought the first reply would have been something like: 'how dare you!' :puke1

I'm 1.96m, that's in the neighbourhood of 6'4''/6'5''. I might be a bit odd-shaped though: I have a large size helmet for example (61 european).
  19. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    the new view from behind the screen. 90 now feels like 55 and no more wind roar. Not so good for dirt but i can hear the walkman now.

Attached Files:

20. KTMax

Oddometer:
    Are you sure you bought the right bike?... :D

Seriously. Taste and looks are very personal but I think those tall screens look hidious on the 950 (as on most bikes for that matter). Regarding bikes I still can't fully adopt the 'form follows function' principle. :arg Stupid, I know. I've seen very little testing / pictures with lower screens. I'm thinking about chopping my screen down with an inch or a little less to see what happens.