950 windscreens

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by todd900ss, May 15, 2004.

1. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    Screens like this would not have been necessary if KTM would have done their aerodynamic homework to start with. The people at Sommer told me the ADV has never seen the inside of a wind tunnel :huh

A high screen is just another solution to this flaw, just as much as chopping...

Mine is chopped, you're welcome for a test drive.
  2. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    I don't think so. Maybe apart from real heavyweight touring bikes like the Pan, Beemer RT's with bathtubs bolted on, there is not one bike that works well aerodynamically for a wide variety of riders with different lengths, shapes, helmets etc. Some are better than others but none of them spans the entire range. Small(ish) fairings and screens never will I think

The new GS12 has spend a lot of time in the windtunnel and - although better than before - some riders go nuts by the turbulance and noise while others rave about the new screen. When I ride the GS12 the 950 screen suddenly is not so bad anymore.

I didn't had ANY problem with the 950s screen/fairing till I bought that shitty but beautiful Arai TourX helmet. :pissed Now I go deaf and my eyes bounce out of their sockets from the judders and wiggles too. Damn!! :splat

BTW, tnx for the offer PeeBee... :nod
  3. PeeBee

Oddometer:
    IMO the way to get everyone happy on a motorcycle is give one the possibility to

a-sit behind a screen without (hardly) any wind, or
    b-have your helmet in 100% clean driving wind. Not wind that's bounced off the fairing, the screen etc.

Option a includes a screen large enough to hide anyone behind, and that's not an item found on your typical dual purpose bike.

Option b is the way to go, but the 950 screen is narrow, high, almost upright and pretty far away from the driver. Aerodynamically that's a nasty design, but it serves the purpose of creating space for roadbooks, gps etc.

I bet the 1200GS gives the best result with the screen turned as far down as possible.

The 950 has such a blunt 'nose' that it even has turbulence with no screen at all. Only lower. So anyone will have a very hard time to come up with a screen that dampens that turbulence, without creating new.

Bottom line: I'll be the first customer to someone with a screen that leaves my head in clean driving wind.
  4. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    There is also option c-control the turbulence that is generated from the lip of the fairing.

This can be done by "spilling" pressure off the front of the fairing with a NACA-type duct, or by adding air-foils etc. to the top part of the fairing. BY this I don't mean making the fairing bigger or taller, just adding a lip/duct at the top of the screen to create a more laminar flow, or to break of the vortices into smaller ones that dissiopate before they hit the rider.

I think this is the way to go in the case of the 950. It has no ducts/lips or anything, and it is little wonder that the shield generates turbulence.

I have already cut my single duct into the fairing, and hope to try it out tonight. I'll post some pictures if it seems to work.

Cheers!
  5. PeeBee

Oddometer:
    Good news Flanny. Keep us posted please, before we go deaf :ear
  6. Singletrack

Singletrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did my first long ride (600 Km/8hrs) yesterday with a chopped screen. Not bad, but not the total solution. I cut about 4" off the top of the screen.

The visual improvement is what I like. Less visual mass at the front of the bike makes it seem lighter and more manouverable. More SuperMoto than touring.

The main air stream is directed at my neck instead of right into the visor. I can now ride with my visor open for a cooling breeze. Previously, wind would curl over the top of the screen and push the visor down.

There is still considerable wind roar, but it's lower in pitch that's not as annoying. The buffeting is also at a lower frequency that doesn't rattle the helmet. I prefer the clean air flow when I tried it without a screen at all, but then there was too much wind pressure forcing me to hold onto the bars.

Next will be a vent just above the headlight to allow air up the backside of the windscreen. Do I keep hacking away material until there's nothing left?? :wink:
  7. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
    i'm 190 cm tall... and i find the windscreen a very good compromise to go offroad and on the highways...

i ride until 150 kmh with cross helmet without problems...

i'ts a dualsport bike... :wink:
  8. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I'm in the shorter is better crowd as I have not had any complaints about my sheild but then I'm tall and longwaisted to boot 6'6" and I only have a 35" inseam I also use an airhawk sheep skin that adds about an 1 or more to the seat height which effectively lowers the screen I have no buffeting but I do have noise I wear an Arai Quantom helmet and earplugs I have a laminar lip but I have not tried it yet I mounted it just before I took my bike in for service My biggest complaint with the screen is in the rain my upper arms get wet right at the armpit Notice in this picture where the top of the screen hits compared to my chest

Attached Files:

9. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greg,

What parts did you use to mak a KTM Adventure 50 look like a 950??? :wink:
  10. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:

Maxy baby I can assure you it seriously looks the busness. It is clear rather than smoke tint so you dont notice it as much. This is not a super moto machine. It is a traveling bike and it looks the part. Bolt one on for one of your autobahn cruises and you will become a believer.
  11. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motozilla your a killer :lol3

But I am with you. Big Greg can be on my side anytime.

Goss
  12. PeeBee

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to get my hands on something non-deafening. Did you make this yourself? How? Or did you buy it?

TNX, PeeBee
  13. KTMax

Oddometer:
    It's not?!?! Geez!... Than I'm the one that bought the wrong bike!! No wonder I think it feels kinda funny... :lol3

You never know. When I keep on getting deaf like this something is gonna change.
  14. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    OK..

Here is my take on the Ricky "NACA" duct execution (thanks to Ricky for getting the ball rolling!)

[​IMG]

(I put a piece of paper behind so you can see the shape).

So here's the thing....before the NACA duct, the visor on my ARAI XD would vibrate from the turbulence hitting it.

After the NACA duct...PRESTO!...Smooth air....It's just night and day....I took it up to 145kph like this tonight and was absolutely AMAZED at the difference (I actually went into this being pretty skeptical that it would work!!!)

Anyway...works for me....I'm 5'11 with a 33" inseam.
  15. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Hey this bike fits me well you should see how my Multistrada looks under me or my XR 400
  16. KTMax

Oddometer:
    Wow... It sure is amazing that this works so well apparently! :eek1 I definately prefer this over a chopping exercise. Is the shape, size and position in the screen gut feeling or the result of some mandatory dimentions?

One thing that keeps bugging me; what does NACA duct stand for??... :scratch (call me stupid, I'm Dutch... :D )

The vibration of the Arai XD/TourX is exactly what drives me nuts!
  17. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Here's the quicky explanation
  18. KTMax

Oddometer:
    Thanx! So now I understand the term at least. :thumb "National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics" Pfew... That sounds serious.

Interesting!
  19. gorgopodaros

gorgopodaros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    shit man.... I thought it was something that had to do with oval car racing, but then again... that is NASCAR.... :rofl
  20. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    can you give us the dimensions too and what you used to cut it out