950 windscreens

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by todd900ss, May 15, 2004.

1. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

It is 12cm wide, (that's cen-ti-me-ters, it's part of the metric system...also called S.i. or "system international") :evil and about 3.5 cm high at the edges, and another 1.5 cm to the bottom.

I don't think the dimensions are critical at all...you just need a big hole in there to spill off pressure.

I used a dremel disk to cut out the rough shape, then a small dremel mill to smooth it out, then 300 grit sandpaper to finish.

Total time was about 30 minutes.
  2. Renegade6

Renegade6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did it also significantly cut down on the noise?
  3. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:

Yes.
  4. Foad99

Foad99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, in advance for the total Newbie question.

How does the hole deal with incoming stuff like rain/dirt/dust/small chud. Is there some sort of directional screen behind it or is it just too small to matter?

Thanks,

SJ
  5. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:

Dunno...My IMO is mouted right behind the hole, so nothing will get through to me...I suppose in a heavhy rain it would leak some water...I'll let you guys know if it is a problem
  6. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    It came from http://www.fairingscreens.com/fairingscreenx.htm ...I had to cut out the section in front of the bulb which was lame. I'm thinking about cutting it off just above the dash and fixing some attaching points in front of the light so that the top section could come off for the dirt.
  7. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    the NACA's at least in theory will Atomize the water drops,at least the little ones i cut on mine

in the long term i think is a good idea to make a "Bounce wall" in the back of the screen to focus and direct the flow of air even more,,someday I will have time to work in it and I show you guys how I did it.
  8. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Thanks Flanny :thumb Since I'm almost the same size and have the same helmet, I'm very interested in doing the same thing. I have one question though: In ricky's other bikes he did 2 small NACA holes instead of one big one like yours. Is there a specific reason for that? Flanny? Ricky? :ear
  9. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    if you take a careful look at the windscreen you will notice that the stock screen features a pair of concave "Channels" that canalize the air Upwards(as oppose to sideways)
    [​IMG]

that is the reason why i decide to drill them there because that was a high pressure air zone already also made two of them for the same reason.

I'm pretty sure just a big Hole or a bunch of little ones(or any shape but round are much easier to Drill) holes will work in a similar fashion.

the closser to the bottom(next to the console) the better they will work.
  10. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'm gonna put my Dremel to work!
  11. MookieBlaylock

Oddometer:
    nakaducks

Attached Files:

12. arroyoshark

arroyoshark Needing some space

Oddometer:
    Hey MookieBlaylock,

From experience, I'm buying into your comments. I wonder if you could post a few mor pics of your screen mounted on your 950. Like full front, side...and from top. I'm trying to figure out the contours of the screen.

What is your opinion of the contour tolerance & fitment around the headlight? You mentioned you had to cut that out yourself. Did you just overlay the stock screen and trace the cutout onto the new screen?

Also, did you order the 6" over or 10" over height screen? Did you get prompt service from Fairingscreens.com?

I once ordered a Transalp screen from Clearview and was disappointed with slow service and contour of screen.
  13. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    I just figured a bigger single hole would be more effective than two little ones...for no particularly good reason....I guess having the single hole cut-out on my VFR's was the inspiration.

After more mileage this weekend, all I can say is that my single hole approach works miracles--the air is non-turbulent and quiet now...it's an amazing difference. IMHO adding bigger windscreens and drastic "beheadings" are completely un-necessary in view of how well this simple air control measure works.

The only thing I could add is that if you are significantly taller than me, adding a few inched of laminar lip at the top in conjuction with the hole would probably work well, but otherwise, I would not even consider other/bigger windscreens or chopping screens down...That's how well it works! :thumb
  14. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    That's great to hear Flanny! :thumb So I'll be looking up my Dremel too. Think I will try a variation with two smaller ducts like on the picture from Ricky. Only a little smaller. Keep you guys posted.
  15. Burton Briggs

Burton Briggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Flanny,
    I may have missed it, but can you give the dimensions of the single cut out?
    Thanks
    Burton
  16. MookieBlaylock

Oddometer:
    stock screen is a wopping 46 bucks so if it gets trashed not such a big deal. Ultimately the tall screan may not be feasable for this bike because of the danger in dirt but it is TOTALLY quiet in there.
  17. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:

Dimensions on P.3 of this thread.
  18. munichboy

munichboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ROOF.fr Daytona helmets are acknowledged by most of the bike mags as being the quietest. I am 6'4" and have ridden London-Munich in a day with no trouble on wind buffeting? If well above 100mph I might duck my head a bit lower......especially when crusing at 120+ (I love the Autobahns!).

Also advantage for style tarts is that the orange and black matchs EXACTLY:

Attached Files:

19. munichboy

Oddometer:
    Also I see they do this thing now:

Attached Files:

20. munichboy

Oddometer:
    Leather-clad biker takes "wrong turn" :wink:

Attached Files: