99 CC Florida to Alaska

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lizzard323, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    Thx. You are right about the road. Hardest part last year was the 20 miles of slick mud on the Dalton. I did it on my 91 wing.

This trip will hopefully raise some money and be a bonding thing with my 19 year old.

Just paid for shipping on the KLR. Here in 5 days.

Then the break in process......that I learned here.......LOL
  2. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    No, all the $ goes to the charity. As a matter of fact the Special Olympics is a 501c3 so they are tax deductible.

The website will be up soon. It is under "review" of the SO..

The girl with ALL (Leukemia) is only 15 and you can see her story when the site comes up.

So, as some have alluded, I don't need the money. True. But, the charities do.

I am trying to minimize costs of course.

No, He (my son) won't get on the KE100. I will however, get on the KLR at home here to break it in.

Thx for interest. I hope to have site and FB page up the end of this week.

By the way, the "courage" in the Ride4Courage is about Julie and the Olympians.

Our issues are pain, fatigue and mechanical. I do find the "it's easy" comments interesting however. I did 12K miles on a Goldwing in 27 days (up to Deadhorse and back to Florida) and that was not "easy". I'm sure doing it on a 99cc bike won't be a breeze.

JD, not sure what your issues are with me, charity rides or whatever. I'm not trying to meet or beat any record or epic rides. I'd say my experience level is way below yours. There I said it. Can you lay off me now?

However, if you would like to join us on our easy ride feel free. All you need is a KE100 (about 1K, a range of 120 miles and skinny tires) and gas money, a tent and 30 days off. Oh, bring your bourbon.

Eddie
  3. UH60A

UH60A Freedom first

Oddometer:
    AWESOME
    When your done (and other inclined individuals) I want to to the CDR on my
    SL-90 , leme know.
  4. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Ok, so the net makes me smarter. The CDR is the continental divide ride. Sounds great.

The bike mentioned, the SL-90... Is very, very cool. IF you have one feel free to join us. The charity would benefit. What a great looking bike.

[​IMG]
  5. RDT953

RDT953 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More power to you for doing a long trip on a small bike and as a bonus it's for a good cause. Having toured SE Asia for approx 15,000km on a CT110, ADV RR (Following The Front Wheel) I'd be mightily impressed if you can maintain anything like the touring speed you're aiming for. The CT110 was good for all day touring at about 70kmh however I was carrying all my camping gear and tools etc. These little motors hold a tiny amount of oil so it needs changing often, I don't think the quality matters as much as the rate of replacement. Anyway, good luck to you and have a ball.
  6. Kawazacky

Kawazacky Mad Typist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try an Airhawk seat. They are fantastic, and affordable, and can be transferred to another bike once you're done with the KE100.
  7. I'm where?

I'm where? IBA Master Traveler

Oddometer:
    Can anyone else tag along?
  8. UH60A

UH60A Freedom first

Oddometer:
    Beautiful SL90 !
    I believe, street scramblers excluded, Honda's first "dirt bike".
    Should you know of a left side cover - I'm on it !
    As for rides I would love to plan & execute a ride as described.
  9. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Tagging along,

Absolutely! You are the third rider to ask.

The ride starts around the first of June. Maybe a few days earlier if I can get off work before 1 June.

When I get the website and Facebook page going, next week I hope.. I will have a tracking link provided by Spot tracker. Using that we can hook up. My son will document the ride and will no doubt include names and pics of riders that join us. He will also be tasked with the 'meet ups", twitter, web page, Facebook and all that other stuff. He will be riding along at 60-65 on the KLR looking at the gps and wondering WTF he is doing.

Julie, the 15 year old with Leukemia is stoked. She loves motorcycles and plans on riding with her Dad on his KLR a few hundred miles with us. From Merritt Island, Fl. to north of Daytona Beach, Fl.
  10. I'm where?

Oddometer:
    Have you considered stopping along the way at the National Parks and other locations operated by the NPS (or ones operated by Parks Canada) for the stamps to get your IBA National Parks Tour, Master Traveler? You have to get Alaska for Gold. You will go right past the visitors centers for Gates of the Arctic National Park (at Coldfoot) and Kluane National Park (Haines Junction, Yukon Territory) and a significant number of others could be easily added to the route up and more on the way back. I can't think of a harder qualifying stamp to get than Gates of the Arctic. I collected mine from June 2013 to June 2014 and finally got the paperwork sent off a few weeks ago, now I'm waiting. Unlike the UCC, the rules for the NPT don't indicate that you have to complete the ride on the same bike. They give you a year to get the required stamps and you could get the rest of the stamps at a later time after your ride to Deadhorse and back is completed.
  11. I'm where?

Oddometer:

Maybe I incorrectly inferred something here, are you going to Key West first and doing a UCC?

For anyone who intends to go, you better check into a passport... and it isn't a fast process. When dealing with the government, expect the worst and you will never be disappointed.
  12. RAGBrian

RAGBrian jonesing for a ride

Oddometer:
    Not necessarily on the passport process.

One can pay an additional fee if you need expedited service, but if they were to start the process today, they would have the documents in hand well before the trip. Since they are going through Canada, you may want to look into the photo ID card instead of the standard passport book (unless you are planning to travel outside of North America).

FWIW, I got the book since I ended up traveling to Europe in 2012. I also had a photo taken with about a weeks worth of beard growth, so I would look the same on the photo as if I had been traveling on a motorcycle in the back country of Mexico! :rofl
  13. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Yes on the UCC.

Yes we have passports.

Right now the KE100 and the KLR650 are in the garage in pieces.

But, we have 125 days till we leave....

I am having issues with trying to get a 501c3 to help.

Website, Facebook, Twitter and email all waiting to be published.

All will be Ride4Courage dot whatever. And since I have been slammed for the "courage" in the name...its for Julie who the ride is for. She is 15 and has Leukemia. SHE shows courage every day.
  14. I'm where?

Oddometer:
    I guess there are ways to get it faster, but I prefer not to give Uncle Sam any more money than I am required to. Before I wrote the last post, I did a quick Google search. You are correct in that there are other things that you can use but, in-line with my line about expecting the worst (not only with the government), I prefer to have something that I can fly back with. If, for whatever reason, I am unable to ride my motorcycle home from somewhere in Canada, I want to be able to have all options available to me on how to get home.

According to Tripadvisor, there are only two documents they list as allowing you to fly between the U.S. and Canada. They are a passport and the NEXUS card. Next to the NEXUS card listing is: "(pre-approved low risk travellers only)". I don't know what the qualifications are to be a "low risk traveller", so I ignored that.

Actually, you can get back into the U.S. from Canada with absolutely no proof of identification, but I don't know how you would get back from Hyder. There is no border checkpoint from Canada to Hyder, but there is one from Hyder back into Canada... but I'm not sure if it is manned 24/7.

I remember the first passport I applied for was in Houston and I needed it for a tour from Hong Kong to Red China when I was on my first ship. I asked if I should come back for it and they told me it would beat me back to my ship. When I got to my ship, no passport. We got to Hawaii, no passport. We got to the P.I., no passport. I don't remember how many places we hit before we got to Hong Kong, no passport. When we pulled in, I immediately went to the U.S. Consulate and explained the situation. They had me fill out another application and I had my passport the next day. I called my parents and found out that the passport office mailed it to them... and it arrived there, about 80 miles north of Houston, the same day I got mine in Hong Kong. Then when I went back there on my next leave to complain, they accused me of being in violation of the law.

When dealing with the government, expect the worst and you will never be disappointed.
  15. I'm where?

Oddometer:
    The worst part of the Dalton I ran into was the parking lot at the Yukon River when I stopped for gas. It was drizzling, and had been for a while, but the road didn't give me any problem other than that feeling if you go a bit too fast on a slick road, at which point I would back it off a bit. The parking lot, however, decided to come along for the ride and packed up the front fender causing the wheel to lock up. Motorcycles don't work very well if the front wheel won't turn.

I finally made it about 59 miles past Coldfoot, but decided to turn around because it was getting late in the day, I was on a Goldwing with street tires pulling a trailer, it was still drizzling, I couldn't go over about 30 - 40 mph without it having that feeling of going too fast on a slick road, I was about 180 miles from Deadhorse, I was by myself and it was after the middle of August. I hadn't originally planned on going up there when I started my trip, so I didn't consider it any kind of a major failure. I just continued on to get the rest of my park stamps for the IBA NPT. Actually, I consider it mostly a success since I found out later that the IBA will accept the stamp for Gates of the Arctic if you get it at Coldfoot. By the way, I just got an email from Mike Kneebone a few hours ago confirming that my ride has been approved.

I now have a Can-Am (is that cheating?) and plan to pull a trailer as long as things work out so that I can make the trip. That could lighten up the KLR.
  16. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    What specifically are you trying to get a 501c3 to assist with?
  17. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    The 501 to allow some larger donations.

I FINALLY have the website up and the Facebook page. Special Olympics is out due to complications with donations. Long story but the Special Olympics is a great organization and worthy of support.

https://www.facebook.com/Ride4Courage?ref=hl

www.ride4courage.org

Read the info. It's all good. The Miles of Love organization is only helping a few families here in central Florida. Some sad stories.

I met with Julie and her family last week. What a great group. She is just a 15 year old that is fighting battles that most of us will never face (hopefully).

Oh, since it seems to be of concern by some posters, i am paying for my costs which are considerable and in the range of 10K. That does NOT include the scheduled massages enroute. On a side note, Canada offers free massages under the Universal Health Care Initiative. Well, a copay of $4. Not bad.

The KE100 is getting a new head/intake/piston/carb. I have confidence in the bike making the 6000 miles up and back to Fairbanks. Any more than that is a bonus. Top speed, or cruising speed to be determined in a couple weeks.

Dawson City Yukon Thurs/Fri June 18-19 for the annual Dust2Dawson gathering is STILL A GO!!

Eddie
    aka Lizzard
  18. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
  19. ihatemybike

ihatemybike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will the Volo Lights work with the 6v system?

Which Dirt Racks will you be using?
  20. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Hey Lizzard,
    Do you have a general plan regarding route?
    I'm just curious if there's any special places along the way you're hoping to visit.
    Looking at the map and imagining the possibilities between Florida and Alaska is quite thrilling.
    I suppose there will have to be limiting factors, but first look sure is exciting!