99 CC Florida to Alaska

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lizzard323, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    No, the Vololights only work with a 12v system but the conversion is really simple. Faizal, at Vololights is a rider and is really cool. He helped me out and donated personally to the charity. You can also donate here www.ride4courage.org NOTE: I TAKE NOTHING FROM DONATIONS...

The dirtracks.com things I got were the engine guard, pannier racks that can "host" soft bags AND rotopax and the bigger tail rack. Fred was great to deal with and likes the charity.
  2. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Vikingtazz, Well, good question. As so many other questions that I have this one is right up there. CAN the bike (the KE100) after the intake porting and the bigger carb and the balancing of the crank and flywheel... do 65? 70? If i can go 65 on the flats then interstates are ok (I think). IF, I have to "press" the motor to do 65 then its onto the state roads.

The intake/head/piston (still 99cc) just got here to Florida. So, we put it on, ride it, see if it will work, put on the bigger carb, see how that works and then IF everything looks good (it will) we pull the engine and balance it.

Change the chain, install a small generic windshield and street tires....
  3. ihatemybike

ihatemybike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My KE is overbored making it 101cc vs the stock 99cc, didn't do much to the top end. I'm watching your progress, but I have a feeling interstates will be used sparingly.
  4. I'm where?

I'm where? IBA Master Traveler

Oddometer:
    Lizzard,

Do you have any kind of intercom system so that you can talk to each other while you're riding? I have a bluetooth system and want to find out if we can link them together if I can make the trip.
  5. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    I had the head/intake ported and it just got back today. We found out it needed rings to go with the forged piston.

THE CC'S ARE STILL 99. I AM STILL TAKING NO MONEY FROM DONATIONS.

Ok, that is done. Bluetooth. I have one on my helmet. My son doesn't even have a helmet of his own..... So, the bluetooth thing is something I will deal with down the road.

Did the T-Bob and Doo the last couple of days. Dirtracks.com , Vololights.com , JNs engineering and spot tracker have all helped out with the bike AND the charity.

I think we are down to 110 days.

www.ride4courage.org
  6. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This a two-stroke, correct? How do you port a head on a two-stroke?
  7. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    I asked my wife that tonight. She told me to get lost.
  8. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Well, it would really be the cylinder. In the early 1970's Kawasaki came out with the "Mini Green Streak" a "100cc" (99cc) dirt bike. It did well for two or three years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBushRT4Z2k

Same displacement as the KE100. Same engine EXCEPT for internal air flow the balanced crank and flywheel and carb.

So, you see where I'm going with my KE100? It's still going to be a 99CC displaced bike.

Street tires. Small fairing, Up to Alaska.....

Sure, might not make it.

BUT, I might.
  9. I'm where?

Oddometer:
    Lizzard,

Since the Canadian Dollar is currently only worth about $.80 U.S., you might want to contact your bank about ordering some Canadian currency while it's down. I would also recommend checking with your credit card companies to see if any of your cards don't charge a foreign exchange fee. Finally, for now, you need to get with your insurance agent to verify that your vehicle insurance will cover you in Canada and ask them to send you an insurance card to carry on the trip showing that you are covered in Canada. Make sure that the card isn't going to expire before you get back to the lower 48. I talked to my insurance company a few years ago, before my first trip, and they explained that Canada wouldn't accept a home computer printed card and it has to specify Canada. Things might have changed, but I also got one in 2013 before my last trip.
  10. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    I'm where, Good points. I did the insurance card last Sept when I did the ride on my 91 Goldwing. The Canadian dollar thing is doubly important. Both my sons are college hockey players....sounds like time to buy some sticks and pads....

You can buy money (trade) for free?
  11. I'm where?

Oddometer:
    It will depend on the bank. I called a couple of them and they will order however much you want for somewhere around $.84 USD/CAD (when I called). If you order less than $1000 USD worth, they will have an extra fee of under $10. Some will order at the bank, some will only do it on line.
  12. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    In florida there should be enough snowbirds that you can find one that wants to trade money for free.
  13. I'm where?

Oddometer:
    Sounds logical enough, but the problem would be trying to find enough of them. I don't really feel like going around asking people if they are from Canada and if they want to trade some money. You never can tell who you are going to run into. If you know someone who is down here or is coming down here and wants to trade some, let me know.
  14. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Well, I am not sure how much $ I will spend driving through Canada. About 10k miles for 2 bikes. So, 10,000/50 mpg is 200 gallons at 3.24.......

Wow.....Canadian gas is going to cost me $250 more than if it was US gas.

But, I can't miss all of Canada and that damn highway across southern Canada is really nice....and my son is a hockey player...
  15. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:

Trading money is not that hard. Heck, put a thread on the classifieds here. Just a couple of week ago I traded some pesos for Paypal funds. :wink: It cost me a 49 cent stamp, two sheets of paper, and a security lined envelope. They got the pesos just fine.
  16. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    New cylinder installed and tested. Stan the man says it pulls. Now Stan gets the engine and will balance the crank and flywheel. We are going to see if a "520"? chain will work. A tough chain will help for 11K+ miles.

The seats from Americana Seats is great on both bikes. Still have to lower the KLR. The KE100, LOL...I can flat foot it.

I would like opinions on testing the KE100 when it is done. I am not sure I want to put a lot of miles on it testing. I would hate to put 1k on it and have it fail 1k short of the goal..

Eddie
  17. KSO

KSO Grab a Handfull

Oddometer:
    How much experience does the son of Lizzard have on a motorcycle?
  18. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Very good question. Not much, and a concern of mine.

He has driven a crotch rocket (his friends) around town. He did do a Florida MC course to get his license and did well....

The ride is in June or maybe late May. I have some time to get him a lot of "seat time" before then.

I am not an experienced "dirt bike" rider myself but have had a MC since 1975.

My plan is to get him on the KLR and do some rides with me on my old Goldwing. I would also like to get him some off road experience on some local trails. I know he will drop it but that is part of the learning process.

The only real teacher is experience and I know that.

ANY ideas from anyone would be WELCOME.

Eddie
  19. KSO

KSO Grab a Handfull

Oddometer:

Like you just said the best teacher is flat out experience, time in the saddle under all kinds of conditions. Have him ride when its nice, when its cold, when its rainy, when its windy. So get out there right now cause I don't think it's going to get much colder than the temps your having right now. Make sure that the body is in better shape then it has been in quite some time. Learn to ride standing on those pegs even it's for only a few yards. Print the following out and put it on the handle bars. Slow ,Look and Roll. Remember, look where you want to go and not where your going. That was the first thing that was taught to me by my motocross coach 43 years ago. Hope to see you some where along the way
  20. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    Why go to all this trouble to do it on a ridiculously small motorcycle ??? Just ride a proper sized bike for the trip. Going that slow is just hazardous, and you are REALLY taking a huge risk of someone driver plowing into the back of you.

REALITY - People are texting, talking on their phones, not paying attention, half asleep at the wheel, etc. etc. Doing a long ride on a motorcycle that is ridiculously small and can not keep up with traffic is just asking to get yourself killed, or you ending up in worse shape than the guy you are doing the charity for.

You want to raise some money for charity, OK. The amount you raise certainly wont be dependent on your motorcycle being a 99CC , 250 or 500 CC. People will either like your charity, like your sales pitch, no matter what bike you are riding. They will NOT donate just because of the size of your motorcycle.

So you want bragging rights of being able to tell your friends that you rode a 99 CC motorcycle across the country. That will impress them for about 2 seconds, in the end they will either like you as a person or not like you as a person. They wont care about what kind of motorcycle you rode on some past trip. ( And it will be just a past trip the moment it is over ) Those are worth a dime a dozen...

Would it be cool to be able to do it, sure, I see the fun and coolness if I could do it with any kind of reasonable safety. I have a CRF100F that is great fun, but I sure as heck would not try to ride in on a highway with cars having to constantly pass me. Would doing a cross country ride on it be worth risking my life over, HELL NO. I would just take the 500...

Mike