99 CC Florida to Alaska

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lizzard323, Dec 6, 2014.

1. RayAlazzurra

RayAlazzurra Stuck in the Eighties

Oddometer:
    The passenger pegs are there, but they are mounted to the swinging arm therefore they do not make a good tie point for the giant loop.

Btw. Increasing speed from 50 mph to 65 mph means an increase of drag force of (65 squared divided by 50 squared horsepower) or 1.69 times the drag force at 50 mph. Every time you double the speed you quadruple the drag.
  2. Qaz

Qaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do not modify the engine for more power you will loose reliability. I would add a bikini fairing of some kind, put a solo bucket seat on it with a large luggage rack that covered the passenger seat area also, plumb in an auxiliary gas tank of at least 4+ gallons. I would suggest changing the gearing with a larger countershaft sprocket (one or two teeth) and taking the original with you also (they are easy to change out) if it is needed. You can also go up one size on the rear tire to change the gearing.
    I did most of these changes to my 100cc 2-t and it would top out at honest 70mph on flat ground, but would cruise at 55mph all day long. I later decided I wanted to go faster and modified the porting, head work and exhaust. It ran like a Banshee and was faster on the top end, but it did not live a long life. One other thing, use the best 2- stroke oil you can get, Yamalube or Honda brand, that Kawasaki brand is not much account as far as I am concerned. I run Honda's base 2-t oil in a 50cc and the engine has 27,000 miles on it, still makes good power and does not smoke!
  3. ihatemybike

ihatemybike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reviewing the Giant Loop website, some reviews of their saddlebags and running out to look at my bike, doesn't appear to matter the location of the passenger pegs.

Most mounting I've found online were further forward and further up on frame.

Looking at my KE, I'd attach a Giant Loop to the thick frame tube under the tool compartment. Only concern is the exhaust pipe, there is already a heat shield on it, but it might not protect the bag enough. I do think that with additional heat shielding it would work though.
  4. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    Great info. I will pass this along to Stan, my mechanic. We have done some mods and jetting is in progress. It looks like 70+ mph is the top speed now.

Like you mentioned, I am not carrying anything. We have a small fairing. I might put a small tank bag on to lay on and a sleeping pad behind me to lean back on.

We put a set of Yamaha 125 forks on that saved 6 lbs and actually work.

I hated to spend the money but I bought a Acerbis 1.6 gallon rear fender tank. In "theory" it should save me 50 fuel stops.

Who knows if the bike or I can do it. I have 40 days to get there and back.

I can't mention the charity part anymore but it is going well with peeps pledging a penny or two per mile.

God willing it might just work.

Eddie
  5. Lizzard323

Oddometer:

No sh*t. That is a good reminder.

Eddie
  6. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    19 days till we depart. There are numerous things that I might have forgot. It is snowing on the Dalton and I am planning on a mild temp ride.

The AGVSPORT jackets came in. They look and feel great. Removable liners and seem like a great product.

We are close to leaving and will soon start a "ride report" thread.

12,000 miles on a 99cc bike might seem a bit much but there are riders doing RTW on 50cc machines.

My son is ready for the adventure.

When should I start the ride report?

eddie
    ride4courage.org
  7. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    anytime you feel like it. :1drink
  8. ihatemybike

Oddometer:
    Have you ridden your KE in the rain yet?

When I rode mine to The Two Stroke Meet at Deals Gap last year, thanks to a couple downpours, I got to discover that my ignition system was no longer waterproof. Drove us nuts trying to figure out what was wrong with my bike before we moved the tank and found it arcing out of the ignition wire by the coil to ground. Ah, 35 year old wiring....

It's since been patched over with a whole bunch of black RTV. I recently started mine and soaked the crap out of the ignition system as I've been trying to get my bike sorted enough to head out to this year's Two Stroke Meet. Hopefully leave Monday after a few hours at work.
  9. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    No rain riding yet. But the system was converted to 12v and the wiring is new.
  10. ihatemybike

Oddometer:
    Can you give details / post pics regarding the 12v conversion?

I'm been thinking about switching my bike over. Would be nice to find spare bulbs anywhere and run/charge GPS, phone, etc.
  11. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    it was easy, regulator, battery and new bulbs.
  12. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Well, my last post on this thread. Leaving Monday on the ride4courage.

I would like to thank ALL of you for your good questions/suggestions. Some I implemented some I did not and some like bringing a blow up doll my wife overruled.

I will start a ride report soon.

Our first leg is from home here in Merritt Island, Fl. to Key West. We then start the Ironbutt Ultimate Coast to Coast from there to Deadhorse, Ak.

The KE can't quite get 70 wide open. Our route will miss the big cities due to the high speed, high threat downtown interstates.

Pics to be posted on the ride report thread.

Thanks again to all,
    Eddie and Jack
  13. zoki1

zoki1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :eek1:eek1:eekhttp://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/canadian-camper-sleeping-outdoors-is-killed-by-black-bear/article/4330641
  14. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Have a great ride!
  15. drbuzzard

drbuzzard Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey i found you lizzard 323 and now following along, what did you do to that ironing board of a seat? good luck on the ride
  16. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Well, after getting back from the ride...

What a great thing to ride a bike. From my house to the store or from Key West, Florida to Deadhorse, AK and back...

Now I have two KLR650's, a KE100 and an OldWing in the garage.

Going to sell the 2010 KLR650 w 14k. Great bike...Will miss her..
  17. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to read your ride report!

John