99 R1100GS Starting Issue

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by MSR Jungle Thumper, Jul 10, 2019.

1. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride in NYC traffic all year round and never turn off the bike.

I also have an Odyssey battery (PO installed it). I'm planning on getting the Volt Reg you mention in the link, you think its a good idea to change the battery. I've been having slow starts in the morning.

Great looking GS MSRJungle!!!
  2. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @roger 04 rt really delved into the topic of 11X0 alternators (somewhat) inadequately charging Odyssey batteries, and I'm sold on his analysis.

Would I install the (slightly) upgraded voltage regulator that EME sells into my own 1150 if my riding conditions were similar? Probably, but it could depend on how easily I could top up the Odyssey with a proper float charge at adequate amps.

If you can readily plug the bike into an higher-amp charger for several hours, overnight, etc., then the upgraded regulator is less necessary. Still, it can't possibly hurt and the price sure it right.

My own 1150 gets ridden sporadically, and I now fully disconnect or even remove the PC680 (or now a clone Full Throttle FT230) and let it float charge for a few days per quarter. When I can ride regularly, I still put a 12+ amp charger on the battery every once in a while. That last sentence is overkill, I know.
  3. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not the capacity, it's the voltage that it regulates to. It'll put out 50A at that voltage, but it won't go higher. - plenty of capacity - it just won't go over about 13.8~14V.

4. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    U.S. branded battery "tenders" are often rated to < 2 amps, and those will take an hour or four to top up an Odyssey PC680 in an 11X0. Luckily, those batteries are robust enough to still crank the engine when under-charged. Still, the bike's alternator doesn't have a voltage output that it is optimal for modern AGM motorcycle batteries. That makes sense given that the battery tech is considerably newer than the bikes' design.

Ideally, at least according to roger 04 rt, the PC680 would really like to see alternator output > 14 volts, but these older bikes weren't designed for that. Those upgraded voltage regulators from EME are one method to approach that output. Roger detailed another method in one of his posts linked below, but that approach is more involved, requires soldering, etc.

I use an inexpensive floating charger that goes to 8 amps (mostly because I caught it on sale), and that works fine to top up my 1150's battery before putting it away for weeks at a time.

Really great reads within this list for those who love the minutia... https://advrider.com/f/search/75233947/?q=odyssey&t=post&o=relevance&c[node]=3&c[user][0]=219092
  5. MSR Jungle Thumper

MSR Jungle Thumper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From now on I will be connecting the R11GS to the Battery Tender every other week