990 Adv 2.5" rear wheel?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by crashmaster, May 15, 2009.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Thinking of going to a 1.85" front and 2.5" rear wheel (Woodys) for the 990 adventure.

My main concern is with the 2.5" rear as its so much smaller than the stock 4.25" How does the narrow rear rim perform on the pavement?

My main impetus for doing so is of course better dirt peformance and especially to be able to run a 120 or 130 rear tires, something that I should be able to easily find in central and south america when I need to replace a tire.

In addition with the 2.5" wheel I can run dual rim locks as well.

Just concerned that it might be a bit too squirrely on the pavement even with a 140 or 150 tire????

Anyone running a 2.5" rear I would appreciate your comments.
  2. 950TRANSALP

950TRANSALP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    'Been Running the same sizes for over a year and it's fine !!
  3. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Excellent, just what I wanted to hear. I'm sure it hooks up way better in the dirt and doesnt wallow around so bad like the 4.25" rear.:thumb
  4. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    I've been try'n to decide which rear rim to by. A 2.50 or a 3.50.
    I've been lean'n toward the 3.50. It would be a bit better for road (compared to the 2.5) and put down a nice foot print for off road.

The SE's sure spin the rear tire easy. Dont you think that could be becouse of the skinnier rear tire????????
    I think the the 3.50 will let the bike put more power to the ground.
    4.00/4.25=to wide
    2.50 =to skinny
    3.50 =a nice middle ground.
  5. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Depends what kind of surface you're riding on. The more narrow wheel gives a better bite in loose stuff, sand, dirt, gravel, etc. The wide wheel floats more and makes the ass end wallow all over the place before it hooks up.

A 100 hp bike will spin any rear wheel easily of course, its how quickly it quits wallowing and hooks up that makes all the difference, and for that more narrow is better.
    never been likes this.
  6. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:

I take it this means you've decided the 990 is the right tool for your trip?:thumbup

I run 1.85/2.5 on the weekends and swap back to stock for the commute.

I don't "push it" on the road too much with the dirt combo but it seems to work just fine. No funny buisness. I've done 1000+ mile trips with no issues.

The stock wheels with Avon Roadriders is a very.... confidence inspiring setup. Feels like a real streetbike. :ricky
  7. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Yeah Brent, pretty much decided on the 990. Hell, I already have it, I'm taking it 80% of the places that I take my 450, and its ready to go and I need to save money at this point, so no new bike. I figured I would just use the 2.5's on the street no problemo, I cant see it being much of problem as I dont tend to push the bike on the street with knobbies anyway. Thanks for the input, good stuff.:thumb

Vince
  8. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    This is bull shit. I have seen a bike weave on the street with a 2.50 and I have whatched a bike bike weave on the streat with a 3.50.
    While watching this, I had no weave with the stock 4.00.

I think the OP is smart enough to know that stock rim is to wide for dirt use. But for South AM. (street, dirt, tire size) I'm going with. 3.50 is the
    Do All Be All rim size. Whats wrong with that.
  9. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    sorry that was a pretty aggresive post. (blame it on the whisky) I'm withthe OP.

I need to change the wheel size (more dirt and no bead lock). I know the SE's run a 2.50. But why not a 3.50 for the ADV. thats looking for a alternitive.
  10. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Sure, for the weekends. but for a SA ride???????????
    Whould you want a little more?????????????????
  11. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Yes, for an SA ride. Have you found a nice selection of 18" 150's in your travels to South America? More likely you found a very nice selection of 110's 120's and 130's. See what I'm getting at?

PS. A narrow wheel is always better in the dirt.
  12. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Dont get me wrong, I am look'n to do SA too, some time. Your post is interesting to me, but, I dont need to read "what I have is best posts".

I think a 140 or 130 tire will be ok with a 130 rim. Is there any one out there that is runung a 130 rim.

I know Joe Barker (KTM Red Bull USA) ran a 3.50 on his ADV. But that was before the SE came out.
  13. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Huh?:scratch
  14. 950TRANSALP

950TRANSALP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back to your question :
    The narrow rims are much lighter , and easier to fix flats , to me they feel fine on tarmack . Just run enough air in them , the tire might wear a little faster .
    FYI the 950 race bikes in 2002 were on Excel's narrow rims and hauled 14 gal. of fuel around the African desert dang fast thanks to Fabrizio . Cycle News Jan. 30 2002 #4 .

Just got back from a 2,000 mi. New Mexico trip with 606front and 908rear on lots of GREAT twisty pave and dirt w no problems ..

Hey Yugoi how's my old silver 950 treating your bud ?
  15. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Well I want to get as much mileage as possible out of the rear. However, I'd bet cash money that I could find a 120 and spoon it on the 2.5" rim WAY easier than I could find a 140 or 150 for the 3.5" rim.

Like I mentioned, better in the dirt and easier to find tires to fit a 2.5"

If someone has some good reasons not to run a 2.5" rear rim please let me know.
  16. Pete156

Pete156 I love to eat!

Oddometer:
    I've run a 1.85 Front and 2.50 rear on my ADV for the last 3 years. I can still rail on the road and don't have much trouble keeping up with the sportbikes (even with knobbies). Just ask a SE owner how well they work on the road. The bigger advantage comes however off road. The big ADV turns in quicker, can be thrown over harder, and seems to come back up faster. I thought about a 3 or 3.5 on the rear but I can't live without rimlocks and airing down. I also thought I might want the wider rims back on for long trips but I was wrong. One set does it all!
  17. mudder

mudder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got rid of the stupid wide rim and changed to a 2,5" SE rim on my adv.:D
    (with original hub)

Attached Files:

18. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    do tyres last longer on the narrow rim? more traction offroad?
  19. mudder

mudder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No the tyres don't last longer, but you can buy cheeper tyres.
    The traction in mud is better because the nobbies stick out more on the sides. Crossing the grass in the middle of a small gravelroad feels more secure.
  20. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Ive been running a 3.5 rear & 2.15 front which I have done a few thousand miles on. The handling (Ive only run knobby tires on these wheels - 908RR rear and MT21 front) is fine on mud, dirt, hardpack & plenty of motorway riding at 90+ mph.

I am wishing now, I had gone with a 1.65 (A60) front and 2.5 rear - as the feedback I have heard from guys with this configuration is there is little-to-no difference in road handling between this and my current setup. Given I have a street wheel set for road duty, Id have preferred to have gone with more aggressive offroad wheels from the start.

Either rim size in excel (or other similar hardy rims) is always going to be better than the soft stockers.

The above advice is sound. If youre in a tight spot, youre going to find tyres for regular dirt bikes much easier than for these bigger rims. Thats not to say those tyres are going to last! But if youre tyre is fooked, you at least have the option of driving miss daisy than waiting for days/weeks for an ordered 140-width tyre to be delivered into a remote region of, say, Peru.

Likewise, you might be better off with 19/17 wheels for the same reasons - more road rubber readily available.

:dunno