990 ADV Won't Start - Fuel Issue- has pressure at EFI

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Shov3BR, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    2011 990 ADV Dakar. Rode it all day, ran fine. Parked it. It wouldn't start the next AM.
    • Cranks fine
    • Tried squirting fuel into air horns - it started so it's a fuel problem
    • Fuel at EFI inlet fitting.
    • Checked fuel pressure - 3.5Bar as specified
    KTM shop manual says that there are no serviceable parts on EFI.
    There is some electic gizmo on near the EFI fuel inlet (see pic). What is it and could it be part of the issue.
    Thoughts?
    -Don

Attached Files:

2. MCCOYBOY

MCCOYBOY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like the fuel injector. Should be 12volts present on one of the wires with key on and the other side is supplied a ground signal from the ECM when the fuel injector needs to deliver fuel. A noid light can tell you if your fuel injectors are getting the required voltage and ground to do their job.
  3. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Does the Noid light plug into the connector at the gizmo in the pic, i.e. is that the injector? I now see that there is a similar gizmo on the other cylinder so I'm guessing so.
    If the injector is getting a ECM signal that indicates that the injector is bad, are parts available?
    Sorry to be so dense but EFI is a mystery to me.
  4. MCCOYBOY

MCCOYBOY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You would disconnect the injector and plug the noid light into the connector and proceed to try and start the bike. If while the engine is cranking the light begins to flash that indicates the injector is getting the required signal to work.

You can use a test light as well but it's a little harder to do without a second set of hands. If the injector is getting the signal and the fuel pressure is at spec then most likely the injector filters are clogged. The chances that both injectors failed is slim and if the filters are clogged they can be cleaned and tested. I have tested and cleaned hundreds on my machine and have only had a few that couldn't be fixed.
  5. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. THANKS!
  6. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What did it end up being? Both injectors clogged?