990 Adventure TPS problem?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DC1200, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Adventurer2

Adventurer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the TPS unit from the later 990 that uses 2 TPS's the same as the one used on my model that only has 1 TPS? I see the TPS alone is not available without buying the whole throttle body....and with the South African exchange rate I'd have to donate a kidney....
    If so, anyone have a KTM part #?
  2. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    the TB unit is basically the same. bot 990 generations share the same configuration in TB's, both have two TPS for two set of butterflies. the difference is that for pre 2009 the TPS is sold with a set of TB's attached (and proportionally priced) while after 2009 the same part is available separately - can't remember the P#, but is displayed in a few Tunececu/TB's/FI 990 related threads.
  3. jconly

jconly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, both front and rear TPS are different, and available from the newer fiche.
  4. Adventurer2

Adventurer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 990 only has one TPS, on the front TB.
  5. jconly

jconly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really? What year?
    An early EFI here, 2007 (US).

Let me clarify, two TPS sensors.
    One for primary butterflies, and a 2nd TPS for the secondary flies.
    They just happen to be located on front & rear. Not necessarily one primary for each cylinder.
    guglemonster likes this.
  6. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    All 990s have 2 TPSs. The one that creates headaches is the one on the, front throttle body. The second one is on the rear. The same as 950s. You need to check microfiche 2010.
    Cheers
  7. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really!?

A picture will help a lot!
  8. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    well why not?? you take ithe secondary BF off and shut it down via tunecu :)

one left :)
  9. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to save some weight!

:hide

damn, my favorite emoticon is gone....
    guglemonster likes this.
  10. Adventurer2

Adventurer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was under the impression that the TPS is the item found on the front TB at the base, linked directly to the bottom TB butterfly, there is a bigger unit at the top of the rear TB which I understand to be a stepper motor, which opens the upper butterflies as the motor demands more, or less air, controlled by the ECU, the lower butterflies are controlled by the throttle cable, and this info is relayed to the ECU by the lower TPS, of which my model, 2007 ADV, only has a TPS fitted on the front TB, the rear TB has nothing fitted at the bottom, it seems to assume the TPS trusts that the TB's are balanced perfectly.
    I understand from a pretty clued up local KTM tech that the front lower TPS is the problem, highly unlikely that the stepper motor will cause an intermittent idle, I'm glad to hear that the lower single TPS is the same as the TPS used on later models with a TPS fitted to each lower butterfly, on the FISH for my model it does not list the TPS as a stand alone unit...
  11. Adventurer2

Adventurer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, sort of how I understand it, but I'm told the rear unit is a stepper motor, it tells the butterflies what to do, rather than gets told where the butterfly is.
  12. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    nope mate, the rear unit is a stepper motor, because is a stepper, but you also have a TPS on the secondary butterfly, you see the stepper opens while primary is operated by cables, BUT the CPU needs to know what is where, or no stepper operation and or iddle or map loading and on and on :)

you can simply take away the BF leaving the actuator and deactivating the system and the secondary TPS, simply inverting the cables and mounting it with the proper connector and you will have a perfect spare for the front ones :)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm done from too many filters today, hope I did the right tagging mate

people, correct me if I pointed out the wrong onese :)

[​IMG]
  13. jconly

jconly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know I'm an outlier, but I also had my rear, 2nd TPS sensor fail.
    Ran a map with the 2nd throttle set to 100% for about 500 miles.
    With about 40k on the TB at the time, I don't think the sensor liked being open all the time, and it bit the dust.
    Just saying, it can happen.
    guglemonster likes this.
  14. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    I do prefere letting active but removing the discs

faster, easier cleaner.... strange the sensonr would be damaged.... sorry
  15. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Well that is the first one reported.
    guglemonster
    The 2 TPSs are not the same, unfortunately, so they are not interchangeable. No If we could make a metal plate to adjust an aftermarket TPS... the start at $4-$5 in Alibaba. That could save a lot of money, since they seem to fail often at as early as 50k kms...
    :ear
  16. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    Gefr, I am quite sure it works, two SMR in Italy did it and also some one here, wish I had time to go the garage and take apart the SD race group I have as a spare to check the mounting :) statistically in the EU I have seen plenty starting to show early failour close to 60.000 most of them failing abrouptly at 80.000 but I know personally plenty of 950 carbs and 990 EFI with more than 150.000 with no issue, also here among us there are plenty of over 100.000 km, the rekord man has 200.000 plus and no issue. and again I see plenty of later model fail more often than early models .... your idea is really good, and you are the MAN to do it, and you know it mate :)
  17. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I believe the sensor is powered by 5Volts and its resistance varies, allowing 0.5Volts idling and 3.5V at full throttle. Now I need to remember school physics.
    Cheers
    guglemonster likes this.
  18. Adventurer2

Adventurer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I guess the best way forward is to order and fit a TPS from the front TB of the later model....lotsa moolah, but I guess the only way....
  19. Adventurer2

Adventurer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Strangely my bike came without those TB trumpets.....
  20. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    My opinion is to be sure there is in fact a TPS problem before ordering any parts.

Either we're not looking at the same parts or your bike has been subject to some hacking... those trumpets (two black pieces on top) are the ones that keep the airfilter in its place. You may have shorter ones as i think i've seen them before in the aftermarket, but definitely you need to have these parts or similar.