990 Adventure TPS problem?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DC1200, Jan 19, 2011.

1. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    short ones comes from the SD, but no trumpets bad running and filter is loose mate...

off with the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Adventurer2

Adventurer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Never had trumpets, it was serviced at the local dealer for the first 2 years, by me from then on, no trumpets since I opened it. But, I will take this up with the dealer.
    I've ordered a TPS, unfortunately this becomes a trial and error exercise, but everything points to the TPS.
    I've ordered trumpets too, never had them for years, 74000km, uses no oil, but I fitted a pre-filter many years back, air filter has always been pretty clean at each service, DNA filter, but I reckon it's better to have trumpets, so will be fitting them as soon as they arrive, along with new TPS.
  3. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    for sure you need to have something there holding the airfilter in its place. Even the option of the filter being just seated does not work because the airflow comes from below upwards and then into the TB's.

Not playing smartass here, but besides the prefilter, is there an airfilter fitted!?
    jconly likes this.
  4. Adventurer2

Adventurer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For sure, I've used the DNA filter for years, similar to K&N.
  5. Adventurer2

Adventurer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, yesterday I had to do a memorial ride, (one of the co-founders of BAT, Bikers Against Tolls, a very corrupt system we are fighting tooth and nail in South Africa, passed away recently of a sudden heart attack, yesterday was the very well attended Memorial Run of James Sleigh) same issue with high idling, but after a throttle reset or 10, it started idling low, and stalled on occasion due to too low an idle, another throttle reset and it was fine for about 50km.....bring on the new TPS....will have it this Friday...
    guglemonster likes this.
  6. Crossy

Crossy n00b

Oddometer:
    My 2005 990 Superduke with 40,000km showed a 7 flash error code indicating short to battery or high voltage from second throttle TPS (confirmed via. tuneECU software).

Took my bike to the local dealer to reconfirm. I asked for a quote & repair estimate, but they said they couldn't give me a quote until they diagnosed the fault (which I already gave them & discussed with them prior to leaving bike). I called the dealer to check progress the next day & the technician said he'd spent half his day trying to diagnose, had spoken to the "gurus" & confirmed the problem was the second TPS ??????? Hello?? I could hear circus music playing in my mind. He told me the fix is to replace the entire throttle body set for $1600 plus labour for fitting because the second throttle position sensor (TPS) is not available in Australia as a single part. I asked how much for his diagnostic expertise & the bill was $480 to tell me what I'd already told him. I asked him to please not touch my bike anymore, and I will come & collect. I paid the bill & took my bike away.

I ordered the second TPS (part # Cpl 61041177000 ) from the US for $82.00, and it landed in Australia 9 days later. I fitted it to the bike & set it to correct voltage in approx. 35 minutes. The bike now runs perfect, with no error codes.

Learnings from dealer experience:

Get a fixed price from your mechanic to advise you how much time he's going to take at $125.00/ hr to tell you he doesn't know exactly what he's doing, otherwise you may be likely be paying for his tuition.

Check your parts availability (both inside & outside Australia) before you accept what they say.

Spend some time learning to use/ diagnose via. Tune ECU so you don't need to "gift" money to dealerships for basic adjustments.

This repair would have cost me approx. $2500.00 if I followed through with the dealership recommendation & repair. The bike is worth $5000 thereabouts.

Summary:
    I repaired bike myself for $123.00 (plus labour approx. 2 hours).
    I paid dealership $480 to tell me what I told them when I delivered the bike to them.

Crossy.
    Benduro likes this.
  7. Adventurer2

Adventurer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 weeks later, still waiting for my TPS......thanks to DHL, one of the most useless couriers in the world, my part is still in Customs....
  8. akisgrm

akisgrm n00b

Oddometer:
    just for the history,
    Ihave a lot of problems with the idle. sometimes 3k sometimes 4k 5k ...........k k k
    shut down the engine and all good. after a while the same.
    whenever set the tps at the correct numbers the bike its ok for a while again.
    I took the tps on my hand and measure it with the polymeter..... somewhere in the middle route of the tps loose the signal :)
    Then i buy a new tps AND ALL THE PROBLEMS SOLVED :)
    Benduro and guglemonster like this.
  9. akisgrm

akisgrm n00b

Oddometer:
    I forgot to tell you that my engineer (official dealer) wanted to change my entire body and I pay 1500 euro while I built it with 100 euro
  10. Adventurer2

Adventurer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear, my bike is doing the same.....looking forward to getting my new TPS.....if only DHL would do it's job properly...
  11. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    most of the time dealers are too scared to go through the procedure of the initial set-up and go for the easy fix, it's never their money

:)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  12. Adventurer2

Adventurer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My TPS finally arrived, along with two trumpets, fitted today, those that have done it will know it's not a 5 min job...anyway, 15 min idle reset as well, starts and idles where it should....ran out of test ride time, will do that ASAP.
  13. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    How many kms do you have since new?
  14. Adventurer2

Adventurer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    74000 km, had the bike since new.
  15. Adventurer2

Adventurer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Test ridden for about 2oo km, all good, idle back to 1500rpm, bike is now HUGE FUN to ride again....feels a bit different with trumpets now fitted too....Thanks for all the tips here guys.
    Benduro likes this.
  16. rossguzzi

rossguzzi 990 Adv.

Oddometer:
    Is there any chance a new tps could improve the feel of throttle response or does the tps only control idle ?
  17. Benduro

Benduro Detox Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm having these exact symptoms with my 990smt.
    Gonna hook up tuneECU today and try to sort it out.
  18. freewild

freewild n00b

Oddometer:
    need some help too please

have the same problem on my 990 year 2006

is the tps of the model 2009 compatible with that of my 2006 ?
  19. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the USofA, a 2006 had carbs, I assume your bike has fuel injection? All the front TPS units are the same one fuel injection models.
    Check the voltage with the bike idling and hot. Should be 0.600v, if not just adjust it.
    If you have a rough, spikey voltage as you open the throttle, then get a new one.