990 Adventure weight loss!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by pvmoto, Sep 7, 2012.

1. pvmoto

pvmoto Instagram @ pvmoto

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I need to strip the big girl down for routine maintenance and thought I might do some mods to reduce weight. I've got a two into one Arrow (custom) on it already. Anyone have any tips on shedding weight from the 990's, apart from pipes and single disc conversions?

Cheers
  2. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get a lithium ion battery you save 8 lbs right there.
    Remove your crash guards. I've crashed many times without mine and you just scuff the tank or protector up. If you want performance, you dont need to look pretty. But I try not to crash
    thebarber likes this.
  3. piercalif

piercalif Biciveloce

Oddometer:
    it weights virtually nothing compare to the stock pump
  4. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
    Exactly right, those tanks are tough, and unlike the crash bars they won't catch on stuff and throw your bike around.
    Also get rid of rear pannier rack, use a giant loop.

Other than that I'm all ears too.
    Battery swap with Lithium one is a no brained and is now on my list. Front brakes to a single disc not so, as I do too much road riding and track days, heavy on front brakes.

Plastics don't weigh too much, but I guess is an area?
  5. pvmoto

pvmoto Instagram @ pvmoto

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if Safari tanks add much weight?
  6. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    Not at all. They weigh less than the stock stuff they replace.
  7. Oli990

Oli990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you can remove the black plastic in the upper fairing
  8. Terence FFM

Terence FFM prof. cat-herder

Oddometer:
    I imagine that a swap to a 2.5" rear ought to shed a few pounds too, not to mention making it a off-road worthier. The switch from a 2.15" to a 1.85" or 1.6" is probably negligible but worth doing nonetheless. Up front a single disc should shed a pound or two as well though. These changes have the added benefit of reducing unsprung and rotating weight which is always better.
  9. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Convert to a foam air filter set up and lose the airbox is worth another 4-5 pounds. Battery, 2/1 exhaust with aftermarket muffler, and air box is over 25 pounds less weight. Yes you can feel it, and no it is not the same thing as losing 25 pounds of body weight. The single disk set up is probably worth another 5 pounds but I am waiting on someone to offer a 320 disc kit using the stock caliper, so I have not done that mod yet. Tubeless wheel conversion is a few pounds of unsprung weight especially if you run heavy duty (and they ARE heavy) tubes. I hate those things.

I also am one of the ones who take a minimalist approach to bolting on a bunch of extra stuff, No need for crash bars. If I damage the tanks bad enough in a crash comprehensive insurance (which is cheap) will replace them.
  10. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    I've go tall of this done on the 950RR and it makes a huge difference (lion battery, single disk, tubeless, air box, exhaust) bike handles amazingly off-road...
  11. Yascher

Yascher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    better keep original airbox if you ever come close to river crossing, as it makes the bike almost submarine-able!!!
    snarley likes this.
  12. bikepsych

bikepsych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't mean to "high" jack the thread, but what is the water crossing difference between having the airbox and replacing it with a Rottweiler? I haven't been in water over the footpegs yet but am itching to try. ;-) I guess it would weigh less in the water anyway right?:evil

BG
  13. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Lower part of airbox is not watertight anyway
  14. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah, negligible difference. Plus the oil in the filter will repel the first bit of water intrusion as well as the airbox would, and the velocity stack height doesn't change at all. I'd be really surprised if it made a difference.

I'm still super wary of pulling my crash bars. I had them off for awhile...then put them back on and promptly went down on a muddy hill and they did their job well...and then got caught on stuff another mile or two down the road so I took them off again. Now they're back on. Maybe I'll take them off after reading this, haha.
  15. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Remove center stand. I carry a small single rod which works in conjunction with sidestand to hold either front or rear off the ground.

I am making the single disc and abs removal mods. I always forget to weigh parts. But there are several pounds there.

Use soft bags without racks. I run a 2 into 1 exhaust and only had to make an aluminum pipe guard for the right side.

An easy one if it works for you--remove passenger pegs.

Not suggesting that these mods are right for everyone. But if lighter is your thing.....
  16. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    renogeorge,

Intrigued by your center stand mod. Do you have a picture you can share?
  17. Pismo950

Pismo950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  18. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much do you weigh?
    BMI?
    If you're 250 pounds and save 6 or so on a lithium ion battery it's a bit ridiculous.
    Lose some lard, that is if you're on the upper part of the BMI scale.
    It's cheaper and you'll maybe live longer.
    OK no fancy farkels but then life's hard :D
    Deviant666 and Qwik like this.
  19. maden

maden Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You may be right about the health aspect…

The claim that body weight should somehow have anything to do with how heavy or light a bike handles, is just wrong… Now if you were to become much stronger, that would help in handling the big bike :)

There is a reason to why people do not use the 990 Adventure for MX racing, and that reason is that the big bike is too heavy.

The 990 will never be a MX bike, but every Kg you remove will make it better.
    Thats my opinion at least.

Edit:
    Forgot to add some useful info… I think one of the best ways to shed weight is to pay close attention to what gets bolted on the bike. I try to consider that any farkle i bolt on should replace a part on the bike. That is not always possible like navigation stuff and luggage, but then it is just a matter of not going crazy with that stuff… Use of soft luggage will save plenty of weight.

T
  20. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe we can get some real weights in?

Did weigh mine in:

[​IMG]

235 kg (518 lb), fully fueled, stock toolkit onboard, tire tools and first aid kit.

List of what has been done that would change the weight:

Wings exhaust
    CPR Trio
    Touratech Skidplate
    Pyndon monster 320 mm suspension
    Excel rims, 1.6 wide front, 2.5 wide rear, heavy duty inner tubes
    Single caliper
    Air horn
    Extra LED lights
    Oil pressure gauge

Might have been a few more minor mods that would affect weight that I have missed.

/Johan