990 Akropovics - Whats wrong?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Duneflyer, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Duneflyer

Duneflyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what took place - straight out of the box from KTM without any controls on variables etc - plug and play (except without the play):cry I'm gonna wait and see what happens when more experienced people come up against the problem and then hopefully through shared information move on :1drinkThanks again for input. As an aside the KTM handle bar risers work!!
  2. DBRacingGod

DBRacingGod n00b

Oddometer:
    Most plug 'n' play maps are cock without a dyno to check them on. At best you can only get in the ball park.
    Ask anyone who knows about tuning bikes and they'll tell you that you need to set up your FI to suit YOUR bike, not some 'one size fits all' downloadable toot.
    Take your bike and cans to a decent dyno operator and ask them to sort the fuelling properly and NOT to simply download Power Commander's or KTM's map.
  3. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    :lurk I've a feeling this issue is of high interest to 990 wannabees. Can any other owners share their experiences with aftermarket pipes on the FI version? Has anyone a positive experience as yet?
  4. willsuds

willsuds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just put AKRO's on the 990. There is a slight FI glitch but it is less pronounced than before with std cans and FI map. I presume a dyno session would tailor a map to a particular bike and this may solve alot of the problems. I think the AKRO's are 'LOUD' :ear without baffles but intoxicating :clap.
    Am trying to pick up a spare set of baffles for modification...

Overall, I am happy with the bike to date.. but might try to get it on a dyno at some stage.
  5. Duneflyer

Duneflyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I heard today you can get an Austrian FI map! Where is this going?:huh
  6. celtic kiwi

celtic kiwi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder how this got through. It obviously sticks out like dogs balls on a canary .

People say take it to a dyno shop . But I would have thought these would be read only changes to the software , thereby stopping the inept killing the bike by screwing round with the 'jetting'. That meant you had to get some green skinned computer nerd to hack it ( am I wrong ?)

Those power commanders drop inbetween the black box and the injectors , so you alter the signal coming out to alter the result. and the adjustments I saw on the one a friend use was quite crude 2.5% per adjustment.

Maybe I'm just old technology...and infact have no clue what so ever ?
  7. Duneflyer

Duneflyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bummer is this bike is meant to take me away from people and I'm ending up doing this :huh It has even crossed my mind to go back to a 950 or maybe a bmmm i can't say it!!!! :puke1
  8. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:

:lurk bmmm ......... I wouldn't go that far:eek1
  9. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    I said a few things about FI in the past
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2268402#post2268402

That's the cause of your problems.

So far as getting a 950, this would be my reason :- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2060321#post2060321

Keep your pipes tho as they will fit a 950

10. Louge

Louge silence of the limbs

Oddometer:
    yellow house 25 miles NW of the white house
    I was an evaluator of the Mille's FP1413 chip. Sort out other areas of your bike for now, the maps will come. Flashing the EEPROM will only take seconds.

For the bike to be running that poorly the new map either didn't take or worse corrupted your original map placing the bike in 'limp home' mode with a basic timing advance curve and fueling map.

richardg makes a good point. A friend's Craponord just failed AZ emissions three times. Further research indicated the bike had to run a specified amount of time to stabilize its ignition and fueling variables.

Bottom line: He's an Arizona citizen in good standing again ...
  11. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
    You sure you can't run the standard map with the Akros on?

My FI R1 needed absolutely no mapping with an Akro can on it, however if I changed the stock air filter to a K&N, BMC etc, the mapping would then have to be changed.

My FI V11 Sport with Mistal cans on it seemed to run better and did according to the dyno without the Power C. installed.
  12. Duneflyer

Duneflyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input from K2m and Louge - I'ts just that I want it all, and I want it now! Just kicking myself for not grabbing a 950 instead of wondering about depreciation - dumb ass business thing. I have been informed that under no circumstances should the Akra's be used with the standard map.

My question is can FI be set up to make dirt and going slow :huh fun again. This bike is great if trying to nail everything in its path but sometimes frenzy is't appropriate.
  13. Window_licker

Window_licker n0b

Oddometer:
    Duneflyer

I'm completely in agreement with you on your last statement.
    I have just spoke to my Dealer in depth today about the problems I have been having with my 990 and they understood what I was talking about. The bikes having cans and an ECU flash on thursday, I have told them that if Im not happy with the bike I will be hoping for a good part exchange and for them to find me a new 950. They said they were all gone , so Im quite prepared to either wait for a secondhand minter or take my 950SM back if they can't find one.
    Im pretty gutted about the 990, it has some very good points, the looks , the comfort, the strong engine when your accelerating. But the tryres suck in the wet ( and now I have been told that KTM have only tested the oe pirellis and my dealer won't even fit a different brand, nevermind a 19" front) and the glitchy throttle response makes me ride like a novice , and makes me like a nodding dog as the EFI can't quite work out whether to come on or off the gas.
    Combined with a nice weave that I can feel when holding the bars, turning into a wobble if I take my hands off I would say that Thursdays a make or break day .
    Good luck with yours, the way I feel like with mine at the moment makes it a no-brainer , the 990 is not the bike the 950 was. I dont think any amount of complaining to KTM will make any difference either. My dealer says Im the first person to mention the FI woes, and also the first person to say the pirellis are not good enough in the wet.. Some accolade :splat
  14. Duneflyer

Duneflyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Window Licker

Please let me know how you get on with your bike on thursday by posting on this thread. I'ts good to hear I'm not the only one feeling the blues - are all other owners of the 990 kidding themselves? Ok it looks great etc. but I want a bike to ride - in all conditions - this bike is meant to compete with the Beamer! certainly wouldn't as an overall package :cry:cry

My cans only exagerated the problem alongside introducing a nasty vibe at 4500 rpm (dealer reckoned this was due to them being too light - ahhhhhh!).

All the best.
  15. zeph

zeph Zeph

Oddometer:
    I had the the after market exhaust set up and the reprograming done at 1,000 kms. The bike goes even better now. Smoother on the throttle and able to pull away at even lower revs than before. I ran an 04/950 for 42,000 kms and enjoy this bike even more. The throttle control at slow speeds is not quite as good as the 950 but it's pretty close. The road holding is better, particularly after the front suspension adjustments suggested on a recent thread.
    I don't do serious off road rides, just lots of dirt roads and easy trails. The bike runs fine and fast on gravel happily sitting in the 80 to 120 kmph range. I did drop the forks about 7mm through the yokes because I'm a light weight and it prevents the front pushing out in the gravel.
    Out of interest I'm getting 15mm cut out of the centre stand to make it much easier to lift onto the stand. I bloody near broke my back on the 990 because of the one inch the lower suspension and not enough alteration to the stand or any at all?? I tried it first by puting various thicknesses under the wheels and 15 to 18mm seemed about right while still keeping the rear wheel off the ground. I'll put in a new thread when it's done and refitted.
  16. TonyIOW

TonyIOW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm with Zeph 100% on this one....my 990's throttle delivery is silky smooth with the akros and remap - although the demo bike I tried with the OE cans did indeed have a very snatchy response. I'm well pleased and certainly don't feel I've done wrong the wrong thing by trading in my old 04 950 for it.

My thoughts in more detail are here....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2503183#post2503183

Good luck for Thursday, hope it gets sorted for you. Certainly, from my own experience, the bike certainly has the potential to fulfill your requirements, so keep pestering your dealer till they get it right for you!!

Cheers, Tony
  17. Duneflyer

Duneflyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tony

Are you running with mufflers in or out? Does your bike run smooth from low rpm right through to the black line without any engine vibe?? If the answer to the latter is yes, who did your mapping and I would love their telephone number. Cheers.
  18. Window_licker

Window_licker n0b

Oddometer:
    Problem sorted :D

Selling the 990 , buying an 640 LC4 for the meantime and my dealer is looking out for a secondhand 950 for me. Sometimes the latest aint the best, I know Im giving up, but my free time is precious and I dont want to spend half of it chasing my tail .
    Actually now looking forward to an old 950, because I can change the wheels to a 19/17 combo and put some proper rubber on . The 990 feels like a bike designed to overcome bureacratic bullshit, that we then have to spend time and resources getting it back to how the 950 rode in the first place.
    This nanny state euro 3 emissions shit \ cant change your tyres because we are scared of being sued business is getting beyond a joke.

Anyway , Im happy now I dont have to research the effects of wheel sizes on ABS, FI ecu / throttle sensor nonsense. Im just going to ride my carbed LC4 and 950 with a nice smile on my face :lol3
  19. TonyIOW

TonyIOW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Duneflyer,

Yes! :D The mufflers are in, and the delivery is silky smooth through the rev range. It is now markedly better than my old 04 950 as far as the vibes go - although it obviously retains it's V-twin character....thank goodness!! As I mentioned in my other post (that the link directed you to), a friend of mine has a new 950 which, again, is substantially smoother than my old bike....my 990 is pretty much on a par to his. The carbs have a slightly "softer" delivery, but the snatchiness of the 990 in its stock form has been well and truly eradicated!

Premier bikes at Didcot did the remap which, as far as I know, was the standard KTM offering. Give Andy there a call on 01235 519195

Tony
  20. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems some bikes have a loose connector which is making a snatchy response??
    for some it works and some it aint.....something aint quite 'right'.