990 Akropovics - Whats wrong?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Duneflyer, Apr 16, 2006.

1. MarkN

MarkN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to say mine is really smooth all the way through the rev range. I ride nearly always on the tarmac but have done some easier trails so far and think the bike is great.

I do agree about the tyres though, they don't give a lot of feed back in the wet and I have had the front slip once or twice on sharp, fast bends, but then that could be a splash of truck juice on the road or because my suspension is set in the "sport" settings.

Overall, I think my 990 with Akro's is fab and the best bike I have ever had. I've had it 6 weeks and done 4200 miles. First service is booked for the 25th of this month.

Cheers

Mark
  2. willsuds

willsuds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 990 with akro's and remap is still what I would call snatchy, especially with slow speed, through the city driving. On the open road it is ok but can sometimes be hesitant. I would not call mine silky smooth.. maybe I am being a bit harsh about the bike but it is beginning to annoy me. I also set the suspension to sports settings which seemed to make matters worse... I'll prob revert to normal settings. Has anyone tried a different map or something like a power commander with akros? Thanks
  3. Window_licker

Window_licker n0b

Oddometer:
    Speaking to a power commander retailer this morning who knows lots about them. He has told me there is no specific commander out yet but he is working with the company to see if another is suitable.
    Im surprised to hear anyone who has a silky smooth throttle response as the TPS seems to be the cause of the problem and its the same on all the 990's . Maybe peoples riding styles don't show up the problem. When your picking up the power off a closed throttle on wet roads with skinny low grip tyres you need all the control you can get, and this is where the KTM, and many poorly developed FI bikes really suffer.
  4. Duneflyer

Duneflyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The most annoying characteristic with this bike is the way the engine wants to scream through the gears - this is great if you want blurred vision but useless when negotiating single track, or slowly filing thru traffic - you end up a gear to high and the engine labours so you shift down and the engine wants to rip again :huh .

I explained the whole nine yards to my dealer today and his contribution was that all FI bikes are the same and that I would have to change my style! To what? Apparently there are no more new 950's in the universe so I will have to put up with what i've got until somebody treats this problem seriously.:cry

Thanks for the feedback above. Cheers.
  5. MarkN

MarkN Long timer

Oddometer:
    The slow filtering thing can be achieved by having a 16 tooth front sprocket fitted. Although I haven't tried this yet I am considering having it done as so many people have told me about it.

HTH

Mark
  6. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been fiddling with FI for a long time (used to be an auto tech, now play with FI'd street bikes). In my experence its a positive step foward from carbs, it just requries a diffent process to set up. Namely a good dyno tune. The PCII that I use on my TL allows you to enter numbers in a huge spreadsheet to controll injector duration and ignition timing. The adjustment is virtually infinitaly fine, you only have the crude adjustments if you use the quick adjust buttons on the outside of the unit. These are just really to play while on the road, but you build the map with a laptop plugged into the bike or a dynojet computer (also connected to a dyno).
  7. Duneflyer

Duneflyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bikepilot

I'm not sure whether anyone in this neck of the woods would have a clue what your on about - unfortunately speaking.:puke1 Fancy a holiday in Scotland:rofl
  8. Window_licker

Window_licker n0b

Oddometer:
    A 16T sprocket won't do anything for the problem with thew 990, its FI related, not gearing. All you are doing when going down a tooth is increasing the revs in any given gear. You could say instead of being in fourth, ride it in third, but as Duneflyer mentioned, its the FI not wanting to run at a constant throttle postion which is the real issue
    A Power commander made a big difference to my horrible cbr600rr, which had far worse FI than the KTM. It still wasn't perfect but was almost rideable :wink:
    Maybe this will be the solution, but I probably won't get to see it as I will hopefully be on a 950 by then.
  9. markie_wales

markie_wales Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Duneflyer

Duneflyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Markie

I'll ring them tomorrow. Thanks.
  11. Duneflyer

Duneflyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Window licker

You should do the same as we live in a parallel (spelling?) universe. All the best.
  12. MarkN

MarkN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sideways also have a couple of very tidy used 950's in from £5500. Their phone number is 01305 851510 and ask for Chris.

Reading all the posts, it seems that I ride my 990 totally different to everyone else or I have been very lucky as mine really is a nice bike to ride and I would go as far as to say that it is the best bike I have ever owned. The fueling with Akro's is perfect and the only thing I found with it was that the throttle was very light, having got used to that though I'm now a very happy punter.

Cheers

Mark
  13. willsuds

willsuds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mark, perhaps you did get a lucky bike!!

I started off loving the bike and the all or nothing power delivery. Now it is becomming annoying and pisses me off totally. It had the Akro map (dealer) at 1k service which made it better --> but didnt fix it. :cry Not sure if we have any dyno shops here, so might have to go north.

either that or get a mint silver gs1150adv.... !
  14. Window_licker

Window_licker n0b

Oddometer:
    Duneflyer

Just rung everyone I could think of today. Bracken had a couple of 950's secondhand and a new one that they have been tuning and changing ( 17" wheels, steering damper, engine work) to be honest none of them really grabbed me. Either a straight swop for one with 15k on the clock or a grand and mine for a new S . Too much money to lose.
    I have instead hatched a cunning plan. My local bike dealer is going to source me a suitable power commander for my 990 and see if we can make the FI work.
    Changed my dodgy front tyre as well today for an AM26 Avon roadrider. Initial impressions is its completely cured the weave and needs a little more input for turning, the grip is coming up to as I bed the front in. Next week, a matching rear, 1st service , cans, ecu flash . If it still doesn't feel right Im going to get my dealer to look out for a mint 950 as I mentioned previously and run the 990 for the meantime.
    Sheesh, Iv'e changed my mind that many tines this week its giving me a headache :huh
  15. Duneflyer

Duneflyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Window Licker

Yesterday I rang one dealer in England and he wasn't able to supply any more 950's except secondhand. I'm worried it could be out of the frying pan into the fire if i'm not careful. So I'm gonna have to live with this bike for the time being until you've sorted the powercomander thing! (it sounds like you have a good cunning plan and a helpful dealer).

I haven't had problems with tyres except they don't last long (rear trashed in 2800 miles) front seems ok however corners aren't as fun as my R1.

Be in touch and all the best :1drink