990 Electrics conundrum.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Trisyphus, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Trisyphus

Trisyphus n00b

Oddometer:
    2008 990 Adventure:

Over the last few weeks I’ve been having some interesting issues with me 990. Whilst accelerating anything more than gently the bike would bog and splutter until I backed of and re-accelerated slower. I had convinced myself it was a fuel filter/pump issue and bought myself the rebuild kit with a plan to sort it out, however, having two full tanks of gas, I decided to go and have a little pootle in the sand to drain them down.

Whilst out riding, all of a sudden the bike broke into splutters and then died. When trying to re-start it the FI Light came on with an unrecognisable code. (What looks like 12 , 6 video attached).

I tried to jump start the bike to no avail, and to my immortal shame, had to be towed out of the woods by a DRZ-400.

When I turn on the ignition, everything lights up and the fuel pump comes on, but I cant get it to engage the starter motor. I have tested the battery and am getting a solid 12v (and I charged it completely overnight just to make sure) , on a battery that is only 12 months old.

To check if the starter was working, I jumped the starter relay, and got the starter to turn over, but couldn’t get it to fire.

I then bought the OBD dongle with the intention of using TuneECU to diagnose the issue, however upon plugging it in I can’t get it to connect to the ECU, which scuppered that plan.

I’m now faced with laboriously testing through all of the circuits looking for a fault, unless anyone can has any suggestions on where I should look first.

Thanks in advance. T
  2. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer:
    My first stop would be the battery ground line at the battery and the frame, then the positive cable- same thing.
    But other than that, I'm useless to you.
  3. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    I had a problem with my 990 doing the same thing. Turned out to be the hazard switch which was faulting out.
    jfink likes this.
  4. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    These 3 items as part of the Safety Start System could be suspects....:dunno
    [​IMG]
  5. Trisyphus

Trisyphus n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions, I have my trusty tester, the wiring diagram, a playlist of 90’s rock and an ample supply of red bull and chocolate biscuits. I’m going in and may be some time .......
  6. jhalfhide

jhalfhide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered a couple of Bluetooth odb dongles to find one that worked. I can send a link if need be. I also have the lonelec cable one. I'm East Sussex if you're local and need to borrow.

I also have a sidestand cheat dongle that I keep just in case and haven't had to use yet as that would be my first look
  7. Trisyphus

Trisyphus n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer jhalfhide

I have the Lonelec cable, that’s the one I can’t get to connect. I’m beginning to get a sinking feeling that it might be the ECU that’s buggered....
  8. NKL

NKL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Faulty ECU is very rare and 12v isn't enough for these bikes to start, sounds like your battery might be suspect, a fully charged one should be over 12.
    Check all the battery connections and the ones on the starter solenoid.
    Boatman likes this.
  9. Failo

Failo Is it spring yet???

Oddometer:
    My 2010 990 Adventure exhibited almost exactly the same symptoms last year. The bike ran crappy, stumbled, cut out, etc. I was absolutely convinced it was a fuel delivery issue but after I checked fuel pressure, etc it did the no power to the stater routine just like yours. Lights, fuel pump, everything worked just no power to the starter. I jumpered the relay like you and could get the stater to spin but the bike wouldn't fire.

The shop manual has a pretty comprehensive guide for testing the various electrical components and everything checked out fine until I got the start/stop switch on the handlebars. For some reason the wire colors on my switch didn't match the repair manual. I was about ready to set the thing on fire at this point but I decided to just buy a new switch assembly ($40) to rule it out. Installed the switch and the bike fired right up.

Unfortunately it still had the stumble, etc. I plugged in Tune ECU and it showed I had a defective rear ignition coil. $60 later the bike runs perfectly and I haven't had any issues since.

Stick with it. You'll figure it out. Or you'll set it on fire :lol3.

Well, SHIT! Shortly after posting this I took my 990 out after bleeding the brakes. Twenty miles from town on a rough gravel road my abs light came on then the instrument panel starting going crazy (tach was swinging wildly, all kinds of lights blinking)and the bike stumbled and cut out all the way home. The bike made it home under it's own power, barely, and I suppose I'll start trying to figure it out tomorrow. My love affair with KTMs is rapidly coming to an end.
    mountaincadre likes this.
  10. bobone

bobone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    crazy instrument panel for me is either check the battery connectins or the cable under the key
  11. Failo

Failo Is it spring yet???

Oddometer:
    My problem turned out to be a broken post on the negative battery terminal. I realized when I closed the battery cover and tightened the screws the power went all wonky. I put the battery on my bench, hooked up the volt meter, and started pushing, pulling, twisting the terminals. Sure enough, pushing just a little on the negative terminal made the voltage start jumping around.

The battery is less than a year old so I called the vendor, Impact Battery, and they are sending me a new battery under warranty. They said they've seen this a few times before when someone would over torque the battery bolts. I suspect mine has been cracked for a while but romping around on some rough roads finished it off.

Just goes to show that many electrical problems can be traced to the simplest of causes, but can be maddening to diagnose.
  12. jfink

jfink Can't get there from here

Oddometer:
    As Slammer218 indicated, check that hazard switch. Also, the bundled wires on the right side of the steering head. The old "wiggle the wires" method, seems to work best for testing. The battery is sometimes a source for these types of issues. And don't necessarily conclude that it is only one problem. It could be bad fuel filters and while trying to get it restarted, dead battery. Good luck.
  13. Trisyphus

Trisyphus n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm still going with the fault-finding, and still no luck. The switch seems ok, but I may just replace it anyway. I've tried a side stand switch override to make sure that's not it and it didn't help.

Currently, the throttle body is on the kitchen table waiting for while a build a TPS tester to check if the sensor is kaput !

My love affair with my 990 is definitely in need of couples counselling.....