990 Engine Locked Up - new battery

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Monkeyboy1979, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Monkeyboy1979

Monkeyboy1979 n00b

Oddometer:
    537DE16B-6F0B-49EC-9313-DDE1C60AFFC5.jpeg 44DB1C7F-F3ED-43A6-AE44-053D1AF83BBE.jpeg Hey ladies and gents.

I’ve purchased a bargain of a 990 SuperDuke to pair nicely with the F800GS but as with all bargains..... there’s a hitch. my mates recommended this site and another to see what others think. Please don’t kill me by abuse if I’ve committed forum crime but not having a 990 adventure problem :)

The guy a got it off had stalling issues and had replaced the water pump axel seal etc which he said solved the problem for 80km then it came back again and kept stalling.

He then left the bike sitting for a few weeks and decided to shift it on, person turned up and jump started the motor with cables. Went dead again.

I bring it home and having paid for it discover the motor is locked up. Starter trying but engine not moving. panic. Seized I thought (still think) but...... I popped the air box and plugs off. Looking into the front cylinder I see open valves and some fluid down there. done the 6th gear reverse (by myself) and it won’t budge.

I’m hoping it is hydrolock and I need some tips on get it turning? How hard do you need to push? Is it likely to break? Could the guy of knackered it trying to start it via jump leads?
  2. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take the plugs out.
    If it hydro, then it will move.
    If it hydro, could have also bent a rod.
    Anyway, pull the plugs and see.
  3. Monkeyboy1979

Monkeyboy1979 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    As I Said above I’ve Already pulled the plugs
    Assume it’s seized then?
  4. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I missed that bit :(
    Pull the plastic plug out of the LHS stator cover, you can turn the crank from there.
    MotoActionADV and mountaincadre like this.
  5. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    It could be lots of things, starter, clutch, gearbox problem.
    If you can move the crank from the stator end, even just a little bit, back and forth then its unlikely to be seized and hopefully the issues is elsewhere.
    Good luck
  6. Monkeyboy1979

Monkeyboy1979 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate! Yep she is free and now turning from the starter. Sprag clutch next as it doesn’t sound great when cranking compared to a mates SMT
    mountaincadre and 1coolbanana like this.