990 high/erratic idle - throttle cable or...?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DanoPDX, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, the KTM parts you priced are about 25% cheaper at ktmpartshouse.
  2. DanoPDX

DanoPDX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Alex_RO

Alex_RO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I *think* I got mine from KTM, it's listed on the fiche for the 2005 KTM Superduke - PN 61041060000 (in case you find it cheaper / with discounts somewhere)
    http://www.polarispartshouse.com/oemparts/a/ktm/524b7b4ff8700231ac496661/throttle-body
  4. DanoPDX

DanoPDX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Alex, that's great news.

Regarding the '05 SD stepper:
    -- My mechanic indicates that I need the other stepper motor, the one that controls the butterflies, which based on the '05 SD parts diagram, is 61041160000.
    -- No one has either stepper here in the States (perhaps because the '05 SD wasn't sold here?), though they list them on the diagrams. (Meanwhile, they're not even listed for the '06 SD's onwards.)
    -- I did find both steppers shown as available here: http://www.ktm-versand.de/product_info.php/products_id/615274/language/en. I emailed them to see if this indeed the case. Fingers crossed, though I'm not holding my breath...
    -- QUESTION: Anyone have other recommendations for a European KTM parts source, in case the preceding one doesn't come through?

Regarding the Triumph stepper:
    -- I found another thread confirming that the famed Triumph stepper is a match for the KTM stepper (http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/wtb-990-idle-speed-control-stepper-motor.955829/ with pics at http://advrider.com/index.php?attachments/img_2419-jpeg.334574/ ).
    -- HOWEVER, my mechanic indicates that cube-shaped stepper shown in that thread is not the butterfly stepper, which he says is more oblong, has fins, and a large electrical plug-in.
    -- QUESTION 1: Can anyone confirm what the butterfly-actuating stepper looks like?
    -- QUESTION 2: Assuming my mechanic is correct, has anyone had any luck sourcing the butterfly-actuating stepper from Triumph or another source?

Thanks! I'm starting to fear I may be ponying-up for an entire new throttle body, or gambling on a used one (if one is even to be found). Either way, I should be up and running again by the middle of ski season. :-(

-Daniel
  5. DanoPDX

DanoPDX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One last question: Presumably folks have tried getting the steppers directly from Keihin, with no luck? Seems like the next place to try, but surely I'm not the first to think of it...
  6. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a whole set of throttle bodies I'm selling for 120. I got them trying to solve a problem on my bike. They are off s super duke but the part number is the same. Bike they came from was parted out st 6k miles.
  7. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM sent.

/Johan
  8. DanoPDX

DanoPDX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Part, I'm interested too, if Johan didn't grab them all.

UOTE="Parx400, post: 30370898, member: 169165"]I have a whole set of throttle bodies I'm selling for 120. I got them trying to solve a problem on my bike. They are off s super duke but the part number is the same. Bike they came from was parted out st 6k miles.[/QUOTE]
  9. josea1952

josea1952 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can can get a set of complete bodies do that, super easy swap. Bolted on and went, if not get the 1050 triple stepper, and tps. I wouldn't concern myself with physical appearances, just make sure the part numbers are what is right. I almost ordered that same stepper till someone spoke up about having spare bodies. I did countless resets, cable adjustments, and never really saw an issue with tps voltages. No one has ever posted a real way to tell if the stepper or tps is bad either, all speculation. Best answer I got was just change them both, the primary tps and stepper.

I have my old set I plan on fixing and then selling but that won't be for a while since I'm out of country which helps you none.
  10. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found this with some info how to check a stepper motor:

http://www.stva-repair.com/2004-2005_GSX-R_600_750.html

My Phoenix based turd of a 990 is not running as it should (thanks previous lying bastard, "runs great") butterflies have been removed ...quite sure its cause the stepper has given up even if previous owner did not reply to my confrontation and asking about it.

Would love to have a reasonably priced set of throttle bodies for my visit now in October when I will try to address some of the issues. If that is not possible I will see what I can do with the bike as is.

Can not justify shelling out another $1000 on it, it still "runs" but has some annoying stumbles on heavy throttle action that makes it harder to ride.

Idle stepper Im quite sure is shot! Was going up and down some and finally gave up with no idle what so ever, was solved with the manual adjustment screw so plan for that was installing a manual adjuster 950 style but if acquiring a working stepper would be better.

/Johan
  11. DanoPDX

DanoPDX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm back again. Long story short, my mechanic replaced both throttle position sensors (sourced from KTM) and both stepper motors (sourced from www.KTM-versand.de), then finally got the bike running well, after re-setting one of the new TPS', which had been mis-assembled at the factory. Success!

And then failure. Near the end of a short ride that otherwise went great, the FI light comes on, and the bike has no extra acceleration when twisting the throttle hard. Runs fine at idle and light acceleration. So I limp home, restart the bike, count the FI light flashes, and get #72, "stepper motor for 2nd throttle valve."

So back to the dealer/mechanic we go. I'm thinking maybe a loose connection, or at worst, we warranty that new stepper motor, as I've ridden the bike all of a few hundred miles since it was previously fixed.

The mechanic says the stepper motor is fine, and isn't finding any loose connections. He's thinking maybe the ECU has gone bad. I'm thinking that sounds like rubbish.

Does any of this sound familiar? Other ideas for what could be causing the #72 fault light and non-acceleration, including after new TPS' and stepper motors were recently installed? Is a bad ECU really a possibility?

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm losing patience with what had otherwise been a flawless bike and a great shop...
  12. DanoPDX

DanoPDX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Due to my lack of patience, among other things, the bike now has a new throttle body, and is running great. Which seems to confirm that bad TP sensors (and maybe steppers) were probably the original culprit.

And due to my mechanic's unwillingness to learn how to synchronize the new stepper motors to my original throttle body, I'm now sitting on a set of brand new steppers, and a set of brand new TP sensors, all currently installed on my original throttle body.

And if anyone is interested in any or all of those parts, I need to recoup some of my purchase price, due that dealership's unwillingness to pull its head out...

My flea market ad: http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...sensors-stepper-motors-throttle-body.1252613/

Thanks!
  13. DanoPDX

DanoPDX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. SauceSquatch

SauceSquatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ugh... I have been plagued by this as well for quite some time.
    I just took the plunge and bought new the new throttle body assembly, wish me luck.

For what it's worth I found it for a little over $800 from https://www.ktmworld.com/
  15. SauceSquatch

SauceSquatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Confirming that was indeed the solution to my problem(s), really happy to report the good ol' Katoom is back in beastmode; which is a huge relief because I was going to cry (and then possibly set it on fire) if this did not fix it lol
    Dano990 and Dusty like this.
  16. jsager

jsager Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Checking in on folks who have had this issue - the problem I’m chasing is I had no idle issues but was chasing a bad rectifier - at some point before that was replaced they did an ECU reset, then I swapped the battery and rectifier - after that the stalling was cured (voltage issues solved) but now I’m having random high idle when off the gas (2000-5500 rpm!). Turning off the key fixes it for a bit, and sometimes the 5000rpm idle will get stuck, then go away for awhile, then return.

never has has the low idle issue, or stalling. First guess is to reset ECU with the new rectifier but want to solve everything in one shot if possible after reading TPS and stripper motor threads. Thoughts on the rectifier ECU issue?
  17. jsager

jsager Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Turns out that all that needed to be done was reset the CPU since replacing the voltage rectifier. Good as new.
    Themastermike and cejnys like this.
  18. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's very interesting. I assume you used TuneECU to clear adaptations?