990 Jerky throttle

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Nine90, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Nine90

Nine90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just did 2 weeks away on my 990 on some terrific roads in South & Eastern Australia. A total of 5,000km. The bike performed almost faultlessly with the minor exception of the jerky throttle response at low revs.

Into tight low speed corners it makes throttling off a bit harsh and then feeding the power in through the corner you need to maintain the touch of a surgeon on the throttle to avoid it 'snapping' on. This is both on dirt and on tar. You can ride though it but I can't understand why its so bad.

Is a cure for this (powercommander?)? Its my only issue with the bike which over this trip proved to be the perfect 'Adventure' tourer (for me).

PS. I read other threads that said it got better with time but mine now has 10,000km on it and its just the same.
  2. pinglow

pinglow Adventurer wannabe!

Oddometer:
  3. OONYACK

OONYACK Dislikes gingers

Oddometer:
    Akro's 16 tooth sprocket G2 throttle cam are now on your shopping list:deal
  4. Moraflex

Moraflex Banned

Oddometer:
    16th will make it worse if you do not do the 15 minute idle trick. You have a "air pressure compensating contol system" (my own verbage) and the last time the bike was set, it was in Austria whis is one hell of a lot higher altitude than Australia. Do the 15 minute idle and you should notice a world of difference. Then allow the bike to warm up for 2 minutes every time you start it. Do not apply the gas in this 2 minute warm up.

If you get the G2 cam call them and order the "K4". It's made for this bike but hard to get. I have one and it's great.
  5. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain on that one; at low speed when I reeallly don't want to do anything to upset the apple cart, the throttle on the 990 is hypersensitive. I attribute it partly to what feels to me like a very light throttle return spring.

Chris
  6. Tangai

Tangai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ain’t none of yall boys never rode a two smoke motor-cross bike?
    Clutch control, young men. Clutch control’s what it’s all about.
  7. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    If this was a two-stroke, I wouldn't be wondering why it rode like one at low speeds...

Chris
  8. max.headroom

max.headroom That "Retro" Digital, Ummmm ..... Dude.

Oddometer:
    Thank you ...... I was going to post the exact same thing ....

I just got back from Santa Fe NM, from collecting this;

[​IMG]

And the bike performanced flawlessly as well, cept for the throttle jerk in the low revs. The "snap" of it immediately told me - must fix throttle jerk issue, and I was going to start searching this forum because I read earlier (before collecting said steed) that there was an issue ......

A G2 is now on my shopping list .....

G.
  9. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder if we can find some stiffer springs? I think that would be a good fix.
  10. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking; the brutal throttle return spring on the 1150 Adv did get to be a a chore on the slab, but boy it did seem to counteract the little motions that translate into jerky low-speed throttle action.

Chris
  11. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Where can one of these throttle cams be obtained? Where does it go?
  12. Taurkon

Taurkon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe some bikes are that much worse than others, but a 16 tooth counter solved all my issues without a throttle cam. I've had the bike on some semi-technical single track with no throttle complaints.
  13. Nine90

Nine90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I use the clutch in the dirt when the bike is relatively upright but I'm not too sure its the way to go at 60kph entering a tight hairpin with the bike leant over.

Thanks for the feedback ... G2 throttle cam on order.
  14. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. azkiwi

azkiwi message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    I think KTMTwins.com has the full set - 200, 300, 400.
  16. jak

jak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed the 300 on mine but got a 400 with the kit.
    Is there that much difference?
  17. MetalClawWolf

MetalClawWolf I rode a bike once!

Oddometer:
    Ive been riding EFI KTMs and I had that problem. Good news is you will get used to the touchyness of the throttle. Its nothing wrong with the bike, it just isnt set like the japanese EFI systems.

No real reason to buy the kit honestly, just give it time.

DEAR GOD How big is that fuel tank?! Looks like you can ride across the whole US on one tank of fuel! :D
  18. unkle_george

unkle_george Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sheesh, I'd be a little nervous with that much flameable liquid between my legs.

You get used to the jerky EFI, but usually by not going places where you need decent throttle control. I'm beginning to wonder if I had a failed O2 sensor from the factory.
  19. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
  20. nunzo

nunzo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 08 990 Adv. was extremely "jumpy" and hyper sensitive to the least amount of throttle input. I performed the 15 min. idle trick (fix??) and then rode the bike this evening. The throttle response is improved 100%. No more jerking around, and the off throttle transitions around town are greatly improved, although not as smooth as my Sprint ST.

Now all I need is for the dealer to repair the leaking fuel pump and front end wobble, and I'll be a happy camper.