990 Jerky throttle

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Nine90, Oct 12, 2008.

1. azkiwi

azkiwi message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    AFAIK they are all the same. I have a G2 on my 07.

Full set
  2. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Cool...

What exactly is the 15-minute idle ritual, anyway? Do you just let it sit there & idle for 15 minutes and that's that? I know I'm really flirting with the obvious here...

Chris
  3. nunzo

nunzo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    nailhead-There are links to this fix. But in short, I placed bike on center stand, ran for 15 minutes (not 14 or 16) without touching any controls. The fan kicked on 2x to cool things down a bit. At approximately 15 min and 20 sec. I turned off at switch, then with key. Put on my riding gear and away I went.
  4. max.headroom

max.headroom That "Retro" Digital, Ummmm ..... Dude.

Oddometer:
    With favorable weather conditions I was able to get around 500 to the tank(s). I tanked up in Farmington NM, and then again in Ludlow CA. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

As for carrying that much fuel .... it didn't bother me.

I thought I properly did the 15:20 thing, but I didn't have a stop watch or anything, just looked at the clock on the bike. Also it was on it's side stand, not it's center stand.

I will redo the 15:20 thing (to the second) on it's centerstand.

Pending that - If it doesn't get better - I still may opt for the G2 - as standing on the pegs, and hitting the throttle - well ... there's a great deal of jerk and snap. Same with a decel, say into 2nd, to turn at a tight intersection .....

Besides that the bike is awesome. Endium Finedum - but seriously, the throttle at this moment is MONDO, MONDO, MONDO touchy, specially in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It seems to get better to some degree with 4th, 5th, and 6th.

G.
  5. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm on it-- soon as I get home. Did it make a big difference?

Thank you very much,

Chris
  6. MetalClawWolf

MetalClawWolf I rode a bike once!

Oddometer:
    From what I understand you need to unhook the battery, and short the ecm in a way that it drains all the power out of it, THEN you can do the 15 min engine setting process.
  7. nunzo

nunzo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also read the ECM power deal with unhooking the battery. I did not do that and it appeared to work just fine. 15:20 is not the magical number, I thought I read somewhere elase that it should not exceed 15:45 or be less than 15 min. Also, there was something about the ambient air temp be less than (just guessing here???) 74 degres F.

Good Luck
  8. lstewart

lstewart Jus' Sayin'

Oddometer:
    I love these forums, great info, but...Sometimes it's hard to differentiate between, myth and fix!

I just got a new '08 990. I've let it warm up to two bars, and four, with no change in the jerky throttle. I've been riding it a lot trying to get used to smooth throttle control. I don't care how smooth you are, it's going to snap on and off. I don't want to get used to it, I just want it to be better. I'm going to try the 15 minute idle trick as soon as I log off, and I will be ordering a G2 400 if I can find one. I'll try anything if it works, but...

Is there anyone who can explain how the G2 cam helps, and how letting the bike idle for 15 minutes, is supposed to work?

On another note. My bike is going to the dealer next week to be diagnosed for runnability issues. Like many others, when it's cold, it starts fine, idles for about 1 minute, then goes dead. Restarts fine, and idles fine from that point on. And, at around 70mph, slow roll onto the throttle, and it stalls for a second. I'm thinking it might just be lean, and maybe they'll richen it up a bit, but it doesn't run hot, five bars max. Any thoughts?
  9. MetalClawWolf

MetalClawWolf I rode a bike once!

Oddometer:
    Have the dealer redo the 15 min idle deal.

Tell them the motorcycle does not idle properly and the throttle is way too touchy.

Im fortunate (or unfortunate :D ) enough to work at a KTM dealership. Ive ridden more KTMs than 'most' of the people on this forum, From 65sx to 990s. And every single EFI KTM Ive ridden is a little touchy, but, with some time, you can nil it out. The cam is a good fix though. Basically It slows down how fast the throttle opens as you twist the grip.

In *very* basic terms, what the 15 minute idle time does, is let the ECM set itself to your altitude, and set idle and 'closed throttle' position. All new KTM motorcycles with EFI go through this before delivery to the customer.
  10. lstewart

lstewart Jus' Sayin'

Oddometer:
    I started the bike, didn't touch the throttle, and let it idle for 15 min, 20 secs exactly. Killed it with the kill switch, then turned the key off and left it off for 1 min exactly. Started it up and rode. Honestly, I can't say there was much of a difference, but maybe, a slight if any difference. Or maybe it was just wishful thinking. A placebo effect possibly. But, then again, maybe it was a little smoother...:huh

So next, I'll do the G2 cam and go from there. I'll also get the dealership to redo the 15 min trick just incase they know something I don't.

This bike is perfect, except for the on/off throttle. But, I can live with that...
  11. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
  12. Darwinf

Darwinf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When new, my 07 990 ADV also seemed to have a jerky throttle and it surged while trying to maintain a constant speed of 30-45mph. Since then I have managed to do the following:

G2 throttle tube with 400 cam
    Akra slip ons (actually bolt ons)
    Akra map
    16T countershaft sprocket
    15 minute idle thing done once
    nearly 7000 miles of riding

Also, I always warm the bike up 2 bars before riding. I don't know when it happened but my bike no longer has a jerky throttle or has a surging issue. Did some or all of these items eliminate the problem? I think so, or did I just adapt to it? Whatever the reason, the difference is night and day. The longer I ride this bike, the more I love it!!!
  13. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whats goin on Darwin? Just got my G2 throttle today, will put it on for the weekend. Still want to ride on Sat? Santa Barbara? Eric
  14. lstewart

lstewart Jus' Sayin'

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link Venturi. That should come in handy.
  15. max.headroom

Oddometer:
    Plus 1 on that .... thanks for the linky Venturi. The prior time I did the 15 min idle trick, she was on her side stand. I'm still going to try that - obviously on her center stand - before I go with a G2 - but for 100 bucks I'm not against buying a G2 right now.

Anyhow - I love that F'ing bike !!!!!! :rofl

G.
  16. max.headroom

Oddometer:
    I am experiencing the exact same thing - and using the word surge is great. :thumb And I'm experiencing it at the exact same speed range .....

I have everything you have cept the G2. Though as I just posted, I did my 15 min idle on her side stand. I need to do it again on the center stand.
    I have the FMF pipes, but they're mapped as Akra.

Anyhow, it's good to know that the jerkiness can be taken care of ....

I'm sure it's a combo of fixing quite a bit of the jerk, and getting use to it ...

G.
  17. mysterio

mysterio Eventually an Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    Sydney: Black tracks and concrete canyons
    I'm wondering if some of this 'Jerky Throttle' isn't partly caused by the combination of a large capacity V twin and a very long swingarm. So that at particular points of the rev range there will some pent-up lash in that extra long chain.
  18. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed G2 throttle with 400 and 50% of the jerkyness is gone. The rest I will get use too. I still believe they need to put heavier springs on the throttle. That would help alot.
  19. easyman05

easyman05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could you please clarify the meaning of "jerky" throttle? I can't just imagine V-twin being jerky. Are you able to keep the needle at, say, 2000 rpm? Without playing the clutch? TIA
  20. max.headroom

Oddometer:

Hmmmmm ....... I'm thinking how I'm going to qualify it for me ........ :D

For me: - I would define it like this.

Between 30 and 45 miles an hour, and mind you this in town riding, I'm in 1st, 2nd, and then 3rd. When I go into 4th - on the rare occasions I can get up to some speed on the west side of town, the "jerkiness" smoothens out.

While in 2nd and 3rd, in that jerky zone, I can maintain a constant rpm and all is fine ...... It's when I slightly slow down, say 3000rpm to 2000 - 2200, and then hitting the throttle again, there is a jerk. Or - what I've also come to describe as a "Snap" - Because of the snap, you get jerked.

So deceling from 3rd into 2nd and maintaining velocity though, and hitting a corner that you're going to go around, and getting through the corner, upshifting and hitting the throttle - you get the snap / jerk.

This also applies while standing on pegs, and going over speed bumps. :D

For some silly reason with all my bikes ..... I like to hit the speed bumps. :lol3

So it's not about not being able to maintain a constant rpm - at least not in my case ..... now there is some clutch action happening obviously when letting it out and giving the thottle some twist .... but I'd like to think of myself of being smooth on clutch action .... and being able to use my clutch properly a majority of the time.

With that said - when I rode my africa twin back from Co. Springs after labor day - the bike was new to me sure. After riding it for just a few hours, I became aware of what the bike liked in the sense of clutch usage, throttle usage, what rpms it seemed to like v.s. gear, and so on .....
    By the time I got home - 1400 miles later - I knew the africa twin intimately. :evil

After a 2000 mile ride from Santa Fe - I know my 990 really well, but not intimately yet - due to this snap / jerk issue that I'm still working through.

Today - in a little bit in fact - cause the bike is completely cold, I'm going to put her on the center stand and do the 15 min idle routine. I posted earlier that when I did it before she was on her side stand.

Anyhow - last - I have to admit that over the last few days of riding in town, I have gotten better with it, but I've had to become much softer on the clutch and gently, and I mean gently, let it out while working in the 2nd to 3rd gear range. So I've been able to smoothen out the snap / jerk issue a tad ..... like maybe 20 percent better - but it's still there ....

Anhow ..... there it is, and there you have it. :D

G.