990 running hot this year

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by tahoeacr, May 20, 2009.

1. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems kinda strange. The air temps aren't that high yet. My bike just runs the fans alot off-road this year. Just did an oil change and all is good. No coolant loss either. Oil temps yesterday got to 242. Climbing up a canyon in the dirt averaging about 30 mph. I have never seen anything higher than 226. I was also down on HP at my last dyno session. Could have been the different airbox, but it's the same thing that SD's are seeing 5-10 hp gains. I think I'll do a leak down/compression test. What #'s are you all getting? I think I read 195+-. Break my heart if I have to pull the heads off:evil .
  2. azkiwi

azkiwi message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    Global warming :D

Really though, there are other external variables in oil temperature. Humidity, terrain, rider input to name a few.

If you modded the airbox you might be running leaner now. If you're making more power why would you not expect more heat? :dunno
  3. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not making more power. Air/fuel ratios are in the low 12's. Plenty rich. Airbox temps are lower than with a stock air box. Terrain was uphill, but I was running mid throttle at 3-5K. Far less load than I put on it last year in the desert at 100+ temps. I could see it if it was all first gear slow riding with no air flow to the oil tank.

I think your right. It's global warning=longer riding seasons.
  4. Rellik

Rellik o-KAY!

Oddometer:

Noticed the exact same thing with mine :huh
  5. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    Or that crappy fuel they're selling these days.:baldy
  6. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    My 990 went up to 6 bars the other day in NY traffic. Wasn't super hot either. I think these things are made to go fast all the time.
  7. Jhalls

Jhalls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not new to bikes by any stretch of the imagination but I am new to my KTM 990 ADV.

I too have noticed that it seems to run hot. I was also wondering if that was the norm. I just bought on 07 with 5k on the clock for 8.5k so am well happy with it but I wondered if I had a problem when in traffic I saw 5 bars.

I guess not from readind this post.
  8. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a good point. Next comparable day I'll fill her with race gas and do the same canyon.
  9. azkiwi

azkiwi message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    Its all relative, eh? If KTM just added a bar at the top, everyone would be happy. :D
    Simosez likes this.
  10. Dogtown

Dogtown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I pulled off the stock plastic restrictive radiator guard and put on one of those steal after market jobbers and run 10-20 deg cooler!!!:clap
  11. raddad

raddad Raddad

Oddometer:
    What year is your bike Dogtown?
  12. raddad

raddad Raddad

Oddometer:
    I have a 2011 990 R and it runs hot. I have put on ti exhaust, added the extra fan, removed scog converters and other smog bits, remapped by factory mechanic. It runs cooler, but it is still too hot. I know from the factory they set them up incredibly lean to pass smog - hence the warm running, but I have done everything to cool this bike down and it still runs hot in my humble opinion. Any other suggestions?
  13. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    5 bars is normal on my 06 950adv. Cleaning the radiator made the biggest difference in cooling. It looked clean but when I cleaned the bike to check the valves it did run cooler after. Also noticed it stays cleaner with the high fender.
  14. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just how hot is it?
  15. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Waterless coolant, like Evans or zipty racing, sh847 series regulator, and a good synthetic 15-60 oil. That's about all that is left to do without adding a oil cooler. The series regulator shuts off the stator to control voltage instead of shutting extra volts which add heat to the stator. Plus removing the plastic rad guard and using a open racing one and washing out the rad regularly
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  16. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    Always worth remembering to check your sensors. A bad thermostat sensor might send you down an unnecessary path. I've borrowed a high zoot thermal scanner from work, and used that for checking engine temp. I was mostly curious if I could "see" the hot spot that was causing dieseling on a two stroke. Ended up spending a highly educational afternoon firing up different vehicles and watching how they warmed up.
  17. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    For reference...
    2D58245C-2899-4A1D-B80E-43F87CE4493F.jpeg