990's gone to the museums?

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by knobbyjoe, Sep 18, 2019.

1. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a multi thousand mile trip from Nevada to Alaska and back... but for the wife sake was in a class C Motorhome.

Saw lots of bikes that I yearned to be riding with, but mostly BMW:(

KTM 1190's were second and some 1090's with a couple of 1290's to round out the Austrian bikes. Got to mention the surprisingly abundant Harleys! One guy on a new and only seen 790 said his bike was a good one and able to carry gear but the wind shield needed improvement due to head banging buffeting. Yep been there!

But no 990's. Dang I have about 40K on my 2008 and she is still fresh with good care. Odd feel to have a bike that is now not a premier ride. To me though she still she is a great bike, fun to ride, and gives me a thrill every time I take her out. I'm getting older and don't think I will move to a new ride so the 990 and I will finish the trail together. I'm OK with that I have my traction control computer in my hand and head. All my suspension and other upgrades still make me capable and feel good. Long live the 990 and of course me;)

The Yukon!
    [​IMG]

Nevada
    [​IMG]
    Jeremy K, thump, Crazygreek and 8 others like this.
  2. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    Yeah, my two bikes are keepers too.

Then again, I'm not ruling out the possibility of perhaps adding a smaller DS/ADV bike to my garage, or perhaps a local playbike with no touring capability. Much of this depends on where I (may) move to in a few years.
    j.
    knobbyjoe likes this.
  3. bananu7

bananu7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A well-modded 990 is still superior to pretty much everything rolling out of the showrooms in 2019 (except perhaps limited run 790R Rally). Rather than sweating and overthinking obsolescence, I'd be glad to have a bike that will probably stay relevant way past where 1090 (and especially 1190) will stop being new shiny toys ;)

And frankly, the 990 catches more attention than any of those. I know one immediately when I see it; just got back from a (non-motorbike) trip over the Europe, cheers to the inmate that had his silver 950 parked in Luebeck, Germany. Not a single shiny R12GSAR could stand out as much as that packed, well used beast. Well, I didn't spot the sticker anywhere, but then again, the odds... :)
  4. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 950's and the early 990's are now being picked up by the 'bottom feeders'. They are selling the Wee-stroms, DR's and KLR's and picking up the cheap bikes. I don't run into them riding, but I'm not out on weekends too much now.
  5. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 1800 mile trip through WV and will be heading out West in 10 days. These are street trips, but I still do a lot of dirt, too. 72k and counting.
    IMG_1823.JPG
  6. Cafeducati

Cafeducati Stuffing my face with that 990 Steak

Oddometer:
    The only 990 needed for the museum is the HIGH mileage one and the history of a Dakar production bike with the lineage of the Rally, 950, then 990. This bike is what others wish they were.

Look at the weight. Lower than an AT and dimensionally smaller with similar power and less complexity. The comparisons can go on and on.

Granted the 790 is far lighter and with amazing suspension, but I personally like the chug the 990 offers over the 790. The GS has even more down low, but with the price of weight and width.

I see 950s and 990s all over. Probably more if not equal to the number of 1190s and 1090s.

I also LOVE the simplicity of the bike.

I think you have nothing to fear and everything to embrace!
    Crazygreek, knobbyjoe and Mane like this.
  7. Skellington

Skellington Pro Coffee Drinker

Oddometer:
    They might not be the newest bikes out there but still one of the coolest. I finally bought my first 990 ADV a few weeks back after wanting one for a long time. I remember when I first saw one in person and thinking how awesome the two fuel tanks looked and hearing the sound of that twin motor.
    Crazygreek, mutt550, Mane and 4 others like this.
  8. mutt550

mutt550 restless soul

Oddometer:
    My 990 just feels right......like......home.....
    Grog and Crazygreek like this.
  9. -clinton-

-clinton- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in Colorado last week and saw a boat load of beemers. More Harley’s than I care to mention and about a dozen KTMs. What impressed me was the 950s and the 990s were hanging with the other KTMs. Like they were a gang. Or a cult....
    knobbyjoe likes this.
  10. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    I firmly agree with all of you. I think we should all march on over to the flea market and buy up all the 990’s we can find. Personally I feel the ‘13 baja edition is the best and I’m pretty sure there is an awesome one for sale in Reno.... Look for it on page 5 today, being bumped back to page 1
  11. -clinton-

-clinton- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’d rather you bought my 950 so I can pay off my student loans. It’s listed and it’s a screaming deal. Just sayin...