9th Annual Rubber Chicken Ride 2021 (FINALLY!)

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by NMOHVA, Sep 18, 2021.

1. NMOHVA

NMOHVA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's FINALLY that time again!!!

Come join the New Mexico Off Highway Vehicle Alliance (NMOHVA) at their 9th Annual Rubber (Stripper) Chicken Ride dual sport motorcycle event in beautiful Truth of Consequences, New Mexico on October 22-24, 2021.

The 2021 edition of this annual tradition is, once again, a fund-raising event. All proceeds above NMOHVA's costs will go directly to NMOHVA's Access Defense Fund.

All three days (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) will feature a fantastic variety of great dual sport riding opportunities through the mountains and deserts of New Mexico. Some of the traditional favorite rides include historic Palomas Gap, the beauty of Chloride Canyon, and the high country views from Mt. Withington.

All of the motorcycle riding is strictly "no fee" and at the event participant's discretion. Maps and/or GPS tracks of suggested routes will be provided. As always, we anticipate plenty of people who would be willing to let others follow them as they enjoy the beautiful and varied scenery around Truth or Consequences and surrounding areas.

All road riding requires a legal, plated bike per New Mexico statutes. All dirt road and trail riding requires a plated bike, a valid NM OHV sticker, or a sticker from a reciprocal state. A USFS-approved spark arrestor is required on all Forest Service managed lands.

On to some details: We are calling this ride the Stripper Chicken this year because we have had to strip it down to the bare essentials due to that nasty little virus that keeps floating around so here are some details. Due to the rising numbers of Covid cases locally, our local caterer closing, and being unable to find a reasonable replacement caterer at this time, we the board have decided not to proceed with the usual dinner and raffle on Saturday night. I know this will be a disappointment to some of you but we feel it is the right thing to do given some of the persistent factors. Also due to those same ongoing issues we are not planning on morning breakfast meetings this year. We will hold our morning ride meetings at the Healing Waters Plaza downtown at 9:00am, this will give everyone a chance to have breakfast wherever and however they choose. Sign-in will be at the Healing Waters Plaza downtown Thursday afternoon and Friday Afternoon and during the morning meetup.

We are trying to do our best this year to hold the event while dealing with Covid issues and restrictions. Due to this there is a possibility that if the state or fed order the state or county shut down again we as a 501c3 nonprofit will have to comply and cancel the event. That said we will issue refunds to entrants and you will be free to do whatever you want to do on that weekend, like riding…

We will be adhering strictly to a 100 rider limit for this year's event. Rider's will not be on the official "in" list until the payment process has been completed. There will be no "waiting list" so register early to ensure you get one of the limited slots. As of this writing Sep 8, 2021, it looks like our limit of 100 riders is ok to proceed.

On a personal note from the prez of NMOHVA, I know the whole COVID debate can stir up some strong feelings on both sides of this issue. As such we are all big boys and girls so no one from NMOHVA is going to mandate anything on anyone. We are all going to be at this event of our own free will. That being said some people will be more and some less concerned regarding Covid. Some will wear masks and others won't so we will respect everyone individual decisions to recreate as they see fit. If you do feel sick before the event please stay home and let us know, we will issue you a refund if you can't make it due to illness. The only thing we will request from everyone is to use common sense, ride respectfully, tread lightly, and everyone have some responsible fun.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again and to get back out riding. Until then be careful and enjoy life and family.

Thanks,
    Dean Tulk

NMOHVA - President

2. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    T-shirts this year?
  3. NMOHVA

NMOHVA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not this year unfortunately, it is fully stripped :kat
    I did order some small event stickers. We just didn't know if it would happen or not so that is why we cut it back so much. We hope to have a rocking event next year :super
  4. scruffy

scruffy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might drift down that way from Salida before heading back east. It'll give me a chance to say hi to the Capt and get a few more days riding in before I put the bikes away till next year. Depends on wether or not I go to Moab.
  5. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Any changes to the tracks from 2019?
  6. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Oh, all right! All the cool kids are doing it. I'm in!

Initially, the date conflicted with my on-call schedule but I got a co-worker to cover.

I had a new jacket & panniers to test out so I used that excuse to ride the St Cloud flavor of Chloride Cyn yesterday, Sunday. The decent from the goldfish pond into the canyon had fresh erosion debris washed on to the road, loose and rocky. And the climb out of Blackhawk Gulch was rutted up even more than it has been with lots of erosion deposits on the road for good measure. There was fresh fill in some of the deeper ruts so someone is working on it and it may pack down & firm up in a couple of weeks. The loose stuff washed down on to the road bumps up the difficulty a tad.

There's water in the canyon. Even spots with a little bit of current. And there are puddles of the kind that conceal tire ruts under their murky surface. Ruts that can grab your front wheel and yank it out from under you while depositing you not so gently in said puddle. But I don't know too much about that and there were no witnesses!

The good folks at the Winston General Store will prep and promise to hold their fire when they see the 2-wheeled horde descending upon them in a couple of weeks. Their extensive China Flu precautions consist solely of a sign next to the BBQ sandwiches that says, "Please wash your hands before self-serving!".
    gus1911 and sceep like this.
  7. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    :ear
  8. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to some good riding!!
  9. brewer90

brewer90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the fuel range needed for this ride?
  10. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Along with a few friends here, @Blakebird and @Hayduke, we drove our 4WDs over Chloride Creek today. We've never seen so many other 4WDs on the trail. I tried to count them. Maybe 20 all together. So I'm thinking I'll be riding CC Friday to avoid the weekend overlanders. The trail is in good condition. Should be a good ride.
    Blakebird likes this.
  11. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    going both directions too... groups of up to four or five full size 4wd Silverados and Rams - I too have never seen so many people on that trail.
  12. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Woohoo! 41 so far who ain't afraid of no stinking China Flu! (or maybe we're just not up on current events?)

Just throwing this out there. Anyone want to find out what the big light on the front of the bike is for and tackle Chloride Canyon @ night? When I ran the NMBDR, overzealous geocaching caused me to ride large portions of the Carson & Lincoln National Forests at night... AND I LIKED IT! All the little challenges that crop up during the day become bigger challenges at night and force you to think your way out of that wet paper bag. The difference in shadows & lighting, compared to the daytime really effect your style. I'm going to arrive a day early to settle in. If anyone else is interested in a nocturnal challenge just let me know and we'll ride Chloride Friday or Saturday night. If y'all too "chicken", see what I did there? I'll give Chloride Canyon a shot solo, Thursday night. Any takers?
  13. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Are there any new tracks or changes to previous tracks this year?
  14. grizzzly

Oddometer:
    all depends on the trail you want to ride. most of the rides can be done on a bike with a 100 mile range.
    if you are going to carry fuel DO NOT use tupperware or anything with a pop top.
  15. vhortykho

Oddometer:
  16. grizzzly

Oddometer:
    FYI most of that does not have cell coverage.
    i am not knocking on the volunteers saying this but a lot of the areas we ride are covered by volunteer EMS. most of there equipment is surplus, if they have a GPS it is there own personal unit.
    be ready to spend the night.
    EDIT it is going to be f-ing cold up there
  17. grizzzly

Oddometer:
    oh, there is usually fuel in Winston
  18. brewer90

brewer90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tracks link. I’ll plug them in and see what I get. My Beta gets shit mileage but I’ve never actually run the tank empty.

I spent three days up there camping last week. It was cold. Mid 20s at night. Winston did have gas.
  19. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can't download all the tracks described on that page. They aren't there, just the descriptions.
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Plus... there's a reason this rides used to be called the "Curse of the Captain". Lets just say this ride had a propensity for giving a rider or two a very bad day (or year). It's not been fed an unsuspecting rider for a couple years and has probably developed an appetite. :dukegirl