_)$

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Fast Ferris, Jan 2, 2008.

1. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Cool post Ferris, :clap

I met Dave a few years ago when he was down under. I used to write for an Aust. magazine, "Heavy Duty" and was priviledged to meet the great man.
  2. scott_h

scott_h Scott Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lancaster, Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
    Dave is a fantastic human. A patriot through and through who has been at the tip of the spear in the fight for freedom for people all over this world. At the end of his distinguished military career (which he completed in spite of losing both legs from a land mine while on a patrol in Africa), he climbed on his 72 Harley and rode 83,000 miles to raise awareness for and provide encouragement to disabled people all around the world.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    He rode that old Harley alone and on a shoe string budget from the southern most point of South Africa through the jungles, the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Sahara</st1:place> desert all the way to the northern most point of <st1:place>Europe</st1:place>. Then went over to North America and rode from the east coast to Prudhoe Bay, then headed south all the way to Tierra Del Fuego tip of South America. He then went over to China, crossed the Gobi Desert into Mongolia across Siberia and Russia just after the USSR fell apart and made it all the way back to the UK. He then capped off that adventure by riding all the way around <st1:country-region><st1:place>Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region>.<o:p></o:p>
    His books, Riding the Edge and Riding the Ice are excellent reads and once you grasp the magnitude of what he did, you cannot help but to be inspired by this guy.<o:p></o:p>
    I had the honor and privilege of meeting Mr. Barr last spring briefly at a hot rod show here in <st1:City><st1:place>Lancaster</st1:place></st1:City>. He is a very humble and low key guy considering what he has accomplished in life. He is the definition of true class act and hero in my book!
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    that would be cool! Dave's got some amazing stories to tell. :-)
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    very, very well said Scott.

Dave and Luke are on the road as we speak, headed directly to Lancaster H-D/Buell to drop off the Siberia Sportster. maybe give them (Lancaster) a call and ask them to keep you apprised of Dave's ETA so you could meet them there? i know he'd appreciate the support, and would be blown away if he knew of this thread - and all the kind words on his behalf - here on ADVRider.

take care,
    Ferris
  5. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    thx Dave. :-)

very cool that you got to meet Dave Barr. he sure has a way of making people around him feel special. that, to me, is one of the hallmarks of a "real" celebrity, the ability (and natural desire) to share your gifts with those around you.

here's a true story: when i moved to Cali (the Lake Isabella area) in the late 90's, i knew of Dave Barr and his accomplishments. what i DIDN'T know was that for several years i lived about five minutes from Dave's house! i discovered this when i bought a copy of his book "Riding the Edge" from a local bookstore, and always thought how cool it would be to run into him some day, but sadly i didn't have the courage to call him, introduce myself and see if we could maybe get together some time.

enter my friend Jim Bantz (JB2, pictured earlier in this thread). JB2 is many things, but he ain't at all shy. he placed a cross-country call to Dave, explained that he had a good friend in his immediate vicinity, purchased a copy of "Riding the Ice" over the phone and asked Dave if he'd mind hand-delivering the book to me, to which Dave readily agreed.

what a cool thing to do, on BOTH men's behalf.

one day not long after i heard the unmistakeable sound of a piped Harley-Davidson pulling up outside my front door. altho we'd had many bike-related get-togethers at our house over the years, it was uncommon for us to get drop-in visitors, plus i didn't recognize the rider or the machine.

i walked outside to meet our visitor, and as he dismounted from the bike i noticed the two prosthetic legs, and INSTANTLY knew who he was.

i didn't (yet) know WHY he was here, but i was so excited i was babbling like a little kid at Christmas time. we had a brief but wonderful visit, and towards the end i thanked him for about the millionth time for who he is and what he's accomplished, and for taking the time to hand-deliver his book.

and i told him what an honor it was to finally meet him.

to which he replied, "Well, I've heard lots of great things about you from JB2, and it's my honor to finally meet YOU!"

how cool is that?!?!? :-)

we've since had Dave and his family over for dinner several times, usually with a houseful of other cool biker-types in attendance, too, and Dave, of course, is always the hit of the party.

my trip up to Pickerington for the AMA presentation was a last minute deal, and Dave didn't know i was coming. it was SO cool to see the expression on his face when i showed up outside his motel room door, and the giant bear hug i got a couple of seconds later i wouldn't sell you for a million dollars.

Dave Barr is the real deal, folks.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Dave Barr and Fast Ferris, February 10th, 2005, Wofford Heights, California.

- photo by Denise (Dnutz here on ADVRider)
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Dave Barr in his natural element, southbound Hwy 395 near Lone Pine, California, September 9th, 2005.

- photo by Denise/Dnutz
  8. strikingviking

strikingviking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ten years ago, I too, had the honor of meeting Dave Barr in person as he was selling his book Riding the Edge at an Easy Rider bike show. His remarkable accounting of an incredibly difficult journey planted seeds in my head as well as the many others whom the bike was passed to. Dave defines the phrase Brass Balls.
  9. bigrichard

bigrichard Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's unfortunate that many ADVriders don't seem to be aware of Dave

I had the great pleasure of attending a presentation he gave at a BMW rally here in California and talking with him afterwards

But I think most of the ADVrider contingent at the rally sat around drinking instead of walking 100 yards to attend his slideshow :dunno
  10. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    What do we have to do to get Mr. Barr on ADVrider?
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    wow, this is most excellent, a response for Dave Barr from the Striking Viking - thank you!

Dave's a humble man on the outside, but in his heart he's aware that he has touched many lives in his lifetime, and i'm honored that you took the time to say that he has touched yours.

thank you. :-)

FF
  12. bigrichard

bigrichard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good question

My guess is that he might be more inclined to accept an invitation to attend an ADVrider event than to hang out in cyberspace
  13. Laughingdawg

Laughingdawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I have a question. How do you shift gears with two prosthetic legs? does the bike have to be modified, or is it all about how the left prosthetic is positioned on the peg?
  14. strikingviking

strikingviking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey hey---guess you gotta buy Dave's book...
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    www.davebarr.com
  16. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I heard about Dave Barr on the BadWeb Uly forum, so a few years ago Mrs. Greg got me a copy of "Riding the Edge." It was riveting...first ADV-style book I'd read. What a man and what an accomplishment.

Just finished TWTT. Ditto about both.

Very cool to see SV and DB together, even if "electronically."
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dr. Greg, i agree on pretty much all counts.

i say "pretty much" as i, perhaps, am the only person in the world who has yet to snag a copy of TWTT, even tho i've spent many hours on this board following SV's most excellent exploits.

i suck, therefore i am.

tomorrow is payday. tomorrow evening, after work, i'll be ordering my very own copy of TWTT. it is, to be sure, about frikkin' time.

speaking of Uly's: several years ago i scored a most cool memento from Dave for my collection:
    [​IMG]
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...here's a shot of Mr. Barr posing on MadDuck's Uly during the FBRAT ride, taken at Whitney Portal, Lone Pine, CA 9/9/2005:
    [​IMG]

cool stuff. :-)

FF
  19. scott_h

scott_h Scott Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lancaster, Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
    Ferris,

Thanks again for posting the pictures and report of Dave delivering his bike to the AMA museum. If I can nail down his ETA, I plan on being at the AV H-D and see him deliver his other bike. Should be fun to watch.

Scott
  20. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scott, you're welcome, and VERY cool that you're trying to hook up with Dave. hope you've got a digital camera. :-)

if you hear anything regarding an ETA, would you mind posting it here? thx.

for anyone in the area, here's some additional info:

Antelope Valley Harley-Davidson
    1759 West Avenue J-12 Lancaster CA 93534
    Phone: 661-948-5959 Fax: 661-942-4599
    Toll Free Phone: 800-99HARLEY
    http://www.antelopevalleyhd<WBR>.com