A bunch of new soft luggage from Tusk

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by CmdrPopNFresh, Nov 28, 2019.

1. transalper

transalper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3M Scotchgard Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film (6 Inch x 60 Inch)
    ~$20 on Amazon
  2. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, these are to protect the plastics or paint from getting rubbed off the wrong way.
  3. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Highland setup on a Super Adventure:

[​IMG]
    redCattledog, Red liner and ADVraider like this.
  4. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you
    I was thinking you had sourced some kind of abrasive film that protected the bags in a fall :)

Mike
    transalper likes this.
  5. transalper

transalper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Drz400 Tusk Toprack for Highland Rackless Panniers:

Heads-up, the Tusk Toprack does not fit the rackless panniers very well. The front of the rack is too wide and the rear is too narrow, so the panniers do not rest flatly on the rack and there is a large gap. I am debating about returning it, trimming the front, or rotating it.

UPDATE 4-8-20: I reached out to RockyMountain Motorcycle (I ignore the ATV part) and they responded right away to let me know they were already cutting some new racks and will send one to me as soon as they are ready (2-3 wks?). Great customer service!

20200405_104234.jpg
    Dao1 likes this.
  6. ktmrider36

ktmrider36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I mounted the Tusk Highland 80 liter setup yesterday and then took it for a short ride on a local four wheel drive road to see if it would stay in place on my KTM 1090 Adventure R. Here’s my impression so far.

Assembly is a little bit of a pain in the ass. The directions are a mish-mash of papers and brochures which are not real clear. The pictures don’t help much. The worst part is attaching the side bags to the center saddle with the T-nuts. They have a video on line describing this as very easy, using your thumb to get them started and then a hammer. Dont believe it. The T-nuts are rather difficult to get installed. I think the holes might be too small and the prongs too dull to easily pierce the material. In my opinion they should have been pressed in by the manufacturer. Making the customer hammer them in as suggested by the instructions seems like a crappy way to do it and will probably cause some of them to go in crooked. I found a drift in my garage and was able to bang them in but it took a while. Attaching the accessory bags to the side bags using the Moly Sticks wasn’t too bad once I figured it out through trial and error.

Installing the product on the bike was pretty straight forward. The number of straps seems a little daunting at first but you eventually figure it out and realize that they all have a purpose and then it seems very simple. It’s really a nice design which I think we can thank Mosko Moto for. Tusk did a great job of duplicating their rackless system minus a few features but it seems high quality. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Mosko Moto’s Reckless 80 but at $175. less, this system seemed like a good deal to me. That’s capitalism at work and I’m happy with my purchase.

I love how these bags help me keep the weight low and forward. They seem like they are tailor made for KTM Adventure bikes. A really good fit. They lean forward at just the right angle to take advantage of the unused space between the bike and the exhaust on the KTM. A small portion rests very lightly on the massive stock exhaust heat shield. The rear end width of my bike fully loaded is now 28 inches. Perfect for Southern Ca lane splitting not to mention brushy single track. There was still room to mount one of my Dry Spec 35 liter hard bags on the tail rack, giving me 115 liters of storage capacity when I need it.

My road test went well. Lots of rutted rocky forest service road to see if they would stay in place. They did. They didn’t budge. No movement at all. Straps didn’t loosen, bags didn’t shift. They passed the test. They seem to be tough enough to withstand some tip overs too. That test will come sooner or later, hopefully later.
    57AA75A8-F132-4A06-9303-62DFD4DFE816.jpeg
  7. ADVraider

ADVraider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed review! Would you mind posting more photos of the setup please?
  8. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried one of the tank bags yet? I’m curious how they fit on a full size adv bike
  9. CageFreeBMW

CageFreeBMW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the larger of the two tank bags. For the extra $5 I couldn't help myself. Especially since the height difference was small enough I didn't foresee it being an issue.

So far so good with the tank bag. I have it on my BMW G650GS Sertao and it works great. I haven't been able to get it on the dirt yet to test full crotch clearance but so far it isn't in the way too much. No issue at all when sitting but when standing I can definitely tell it is there. I don't think it will interfere enough to be a problem though. I'll try to post one tonight of it on the bike and the clearance/interference while standing when I get home.
    RunninRanger likes this.
  10. ktmrider36

Oddometer:
    Sure here’s a couple more. The lighting is not 54ECA361-B03E-454B-84D1-CEE138A16AE9.jpeg A0F572DA-A5CA-43A5-8315-32AF8BF3ECA1.jpeg great in my garage.
    RunninRanger and ADVraider like this.
  11. ktmrider36

Oddometer:
    And a couple more DACDA9A0-9530-4833-AC79-0D1EDDD09BF0.jpeg 40489217-583C-4BAE-B522-3A28A5BD5570.jpeg
    Dao1, ADVraider and AdvNener like this.
  12. ktmrider36

Oddometer:
    You may note in the last picture that I have removed the passenger foot pegs. I then used the lower bolt threads to mount a T handle I found at the hardware store. Same 8m course threads. Makes for a good place to secure the lower strap.
  13. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody installed the highland system on a WR250R yet? I'm eager to see how well it fits this size of bike...
  14. Hollywood D

Oddometer:
    nice
  15. ADVraider

Oddometer:
  16. ktmrider36

Oddometer:
    You’re talking about a Tusk tail rack right? That’s what I have on mine. My bag system is butted up against the front of the tail rack. I could lift the bag system up a little and slide it back over the rack but I would have to remove the passenger handles in order to do that. I don’t want to lose the handles.
    94F3575B-B1A6-4408-BC75-10209BF6B7E8.jpeg
  17. ADVraider

Oddometer:
    sorry, i meant side luggage racks/panniers..

[​IMG]
  18. ktmrider36

Oddometer:
    No I wouldn’t think so, especially on the exhaust side. Seems to me installing these over racks defeats the whole purpose of these bags, which is “rack-less.” Why have the racks if you don’t need them?
  19. CageFreeBMW

CageFreeBMW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sorry for not getting this posted yesterday but here are some pics of how the large tank bag sits while standing. For reference, I’m 6’ with a 32” inseam. I’m not wearing my boots (1/4” to 1/2”) and I do have lowered pegs (1/2”). Like I mentioned earlier there is some interference but it isn’t too bad. And honestly I don’t think the 1” taller bag makes that big of difference. The smaller one would likely interfere about the same. So far I haven’t noticed any issues with the width or length.

I’ll make another update when I’m able to get into some technical stuff.

I hope that’s photos don’t get massive. I haven’t posted from my phone before...

Attached Files:

20. Hollywood D

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics. It's a little bigger than I thought it would be. I might try the smaller one.