A bunch of new soft luggage from Tusk

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by CmdrPopNFresh, Nov 28, 2019.

1. ADVraider

ADVraider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of guys install the Mosko Reckless ones over side panniers. I have the panniers mostly for crash protection and prefer the design and functionality of the Mosko Reckless 80 / Tusk Highland 80
    ktmrider36 likes this.
  2. CageFreeBMW

CageFreeBMW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By plastic waste bin do you mean like a small garbage can? No judgement, I just never would have considered that.
  3. LDesp

LDesp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the TUSK Olympus bags on a 2019/2020 CB500X ?
    Wondering if they fit the bike well or if they are too big.

Attached Files:

HandCanonShootr and No-Fret like this.
  4. Schmokel

Schmokel I got band for a fat joke.

Oddometer:
    Couple questions.

Would the rackless system work ok with racks installed? My DR already has racks. Don't mind keeping them on.

Secondly, so these bags are not waterproof? They need the liner to be waterproof? Or are some bags waterproof and others not?
  5. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    When pondering things like this, I get the dimensions of the bags, then make a mock up out of boxes. tape, strap, glue, whetever onto your bike and you'll see a pretty good idea of what it'll look like
  6. LDesp

LDesp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip, I do plan to do that as well. I was just hoping that someone may already have them on their 19/20 CB500X and could give their opinion and maybe share some pictures.
  7. 603Granite

603Granite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    correct. I picked up two garbage cans from Walmart & cut them shorter.
  8. CageFreeBMW

CageFreeBMW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s fantastic!!
  9. ryno23nv

ryno23nv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tusk Piot Pannier's currently out to stock until May, but listed at $149.99?
    Hope that price holds until they are back in stock.
  10. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    I hope that price holds *after* they're back in stock.
    Bayner likes this.
  11. ryno23nv

ryno23nv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea that's what I meant/said.
    Thanks blender.
  12. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    Oh, just tweaking you a bit. ;). I think there’s some pent-up demand for these panniers.
    ryno23nv likes this.
  13. JulienAT

JulienAT Om nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried the Highland on a Africa Twin yet? I know you're required to buy the Extension Plate for the AT which is now available on their website.

I'm really tempted to get the Base Model as I already have a duffle bag, also, 350$ is quite a bit more manageable than 700$ for the Mosko Moto...
  14. 71CJ5

71CJ5 n00b

Oddometer:
    Pulled the trigger on the Highland system with the 22L duffel and the accessory bags. I mounted everything up today on my WR250R and am pretty happy overall. The bags are not packed in this photo and I stuffed a blanket in the duffel to shape it. I'll work on packing my camping stuff in over the next week and then will be ready for a test trip! 20200430_180938.jpg
    20200430_184307.jpg
    20200430_180955_LI.jpg

The system is made for a bike with a wider and taller tail (I run a large Scaggs top rack) as you can see how much extra side bag lower strap is leftover. I put the passenger peg brackets back on and tied the side bags to those. You can also see how the top section arches up over the seat. The instructions say this is normal and will relax over time with weight. 20200430_200348.jpg

The instructions are pretty weak so I recommend watching the RMATV video on installation as I had the side bags bolted on the wrong sides at first :doh Overall it is pretty stable with just a bit of forward movement on the lower part of the side bags. Next step is to load it up and put it to the test!
    BillMoore likes this.
  15. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the one significant thing wrong with them is they cut the horizontal mounting straps too short. When fully loaded, there is only a few inches left to run through the clasp, which if it slipped could cause the whole system to “let go”. It is also difficult to secure them down because there is only an inche or two free of the straps to pull through the clasp. This is probably why they supple Velcro straps for free with the purchase, but it doesn’t solve the issue or make up for it.

Attached Files:

16. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    After using the Tusk Highland rackless soft panniers for over one thousand miles of forest service roads and rugged single track riding, I thought I'd share some photos and a review of how they perform. The videos from RMATV/MC helped answer some aspects of the installation but the mounting instructions were fair straight forward. I used four straps to fix the center piece to the stock top rack of my 15' KLR. These hold it from forward motion. A center strap I affixed to the back rim of my top rack by drilling holes then using a saws-all to connect the drilled holes allowing a slot for the aforementioned center strap. Together these hold the panniers system securely to the bike. Each side of the the centerpiece you affix a pannier. At the bottom of each one is a strap that I strapped around the steel loop by the passenger footrests. These hold the pannier bags from flopping as you traverse the terrain. I like the lime green 25L waterproof Compression bag that goes inside each side. So that's two water tight seals. Inner and the black and gray external. The accessory bags are great for 1L metal water bottles or a MSR fuel container. The center 22L bag holds an amazing amount of kit and extraneous items. I like the fact Tusk included a metal heat shield that simply affixes beside your muffler. I happen to run a popular FMF Q4. It easily attaches to various styles with a hose clamp. I have found this system keeps my rear taillights protected from unprompted maps alone technical trails. I can also verify dry bags after crossing DEEP water. 14" above the foot pegs. Water got over the top of my boots but not inside the bags! Nice light reflective materials are a nice safety touch. All and all a great system that keeps your carrying weight down low. Tough material construction. Tusk did their job doing their R&D.

Attached Files:

17. kaptkaos

kaptkaos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Tusk Pilot bags, and I have the Tusk Racks on my 2018 ATAS. I bought the metal plates with the quick release mounts. I attached the soft bags to the plates and they simply snap right in. Its a one sec install and removal, and the bags have handles on top so if I get to a hotel, I pull the release cord, and lift the pannier off the rack by the handle and just carry them right into my room. In the morning, its the same in reverse. I love the system, and it was about $450 all in with racks, mounts and bags. You cant beat that anywhere.
    EmmEff and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.
  18. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since Tusk just copies designs, (TUSK = Totally Using Stolen Knowledge), where would these design come from if it weren't for companies like Mosko et al? Tusk wouldn't have any products because they would have nothing to copy. They can't exist without others designing things for them. Mosko, and the like, are American entrepreneurs putting their lives, families, heart and soul, into these businesses; research and development, testing, design modifications, that costs money. Sure globalization has made for cheaper, more widely available products, but at what cost? I see it kinda like welfare, a few will pay more to subsidize the masses.
    xit109 likes this.
  19. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    actually, tusk/rockymountainatvmc (American company) basically bought the rights to the design of their bags from a smaller also american company that was producing these bags long before Mosko was around. they used their scalable production to reduce the cost to consumer and sell more than was previously possible. But go ahead and pay 700$ for two 50$ backpacks.

the tusk bags work very well and are well made.
    NTTF, EmmEff, SloMoShun and 5 others like this.
  20. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not denying quality, nor their location of incorporation. It is commentary on the general evolution of design to build concepts (Mosko et al = and others, or the likes of). Somebody has to pay for the design work. If no one pays for new designs, no new designs get built. RMATV is a retail company as stated in their website. They do not design, they sell.