A bunch of new soft luggage from Tusk

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by CmdrPopNFresh, Nov 28, 2019.

1. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pic of tusk bags packing up after a trip to the Sierra Nevada. Cruise control set at 90 mph the whole highway portion for hours. No issue. Took these instead of touratech cases and will take them on my next outing and stop by one of their showrooms in St George on my way through Utah in the next month.

also a pic of tusk bags in a mall parking lot for those so inclined. Had to pick up a camp chair to strap on them. Equally at home and people ask about them

Attached Files:

rd400racer likes this.
  2. Sōul-ō

Sōul-ō Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if an 11” iPad pro will fit in the clear pocket of the Olympus, preferably the small size?
  3. ColumboNH

ColumboNH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just mounted an Olympus small on my wife’s bike, if you don’t get an answer from someone else I will take measurements in the next couple days. My guess is that it will not fit though as the top clear pouch would be a tight fit for my iPad mini.
  4. Sōul-ō

Sōul-ō Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I did see that RockyMountain stated the dimensions in their review. I agree, there’s no way the 11” iPad will fit in the small. I’m still kicking around the large... I also saw the new Pro bags from SW Motech, and I like the new ring lock system they have. Unfortunately it looks like those will be difficult to get hands on before an upcoming trip in July. I’ll probably buy this in large, and move it to and 500 adv build I’m planning for next winter. Thank you!
  5. ColumboNH

ColumboNH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem, I’ll say that I was very impressed with the quality and build of these tank bags, especially for the price!
  6. JulienAT

JulienAT Om nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    Hey I just wanted to post my first impression about the Highland Rackless System for the Africa Twin.

According to Rocky Mountain ATV MC you need to get the "Africa Twin Extension Plate" (+30$) and also a Top Case Rack (+150$) to install the Rackless Luggage system on the AT

This morning I received the Highland Base model as well as the AT Extension Plate. After installing the extension plate I noticed the bag on the side of which the extension plate was installed was sitting noticeably lower to the other side. (Duh) which actually looked really strange and off-center. After closely looking at it I feel the 1x Extension Plate idea is unnecessary. Maybe having 2x Extension Plate for each side would be the best but then you add another ~70$ for soft bags.

So I decided to remove the Extension Plate and think it works fine without it. I also don't have a Top Rack since the AT basically has faring available to attach it.

If you're thinking of getting that setup for your AT, don't bother with Extension Plate and Top Rack. Just my 2cents.

Attached Files:

7. CageFreeBMW

CageFreeBMW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you get a chance would you mind posting a picture of how the extension plate attaches and the dimensions of it? I have a Mosko Rackless 80 I got a screaming deal on a couple year ago but I HATE how it sits on my BMW G650GS Sertao. Since my fuel tank sits under the seat it is way too wide so I'm curious if I could buy the Tusk extension plates and fit it to my Mosko.
  8. JulienAT

JulienAT Om nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    There you go,

It's basically 1 foot long x 6" 3/4

it's mounted with nut, washer and anchor nuts.

honestly, instead of spending 30$ like I did I think you should get away with a piece of hard plastic and drill hole wherever you need it, it's pretty much what this extension plate is. It'll be less expensive and custom made

Attached Files:

CageFreeBMW likes this.
  9. CageFreeBMW

CageFreeBMW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's not a bad idea! I'll need to look into that. I just find it hilarious that Mosko even used my bike in a demo video considering how ridiculous it looks! They don't offer an extension though, so hopefully that's all it will take.
    upload_2020-5-28_6-19-59.png
  10. JulienAT

JulienAT Om nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    Yeah it was basically the same with my Africa Twin. Just looked ridiculous so I removed it. lol
  11. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Bit late to the party here, but just a note about the Mosko bags "open holster" with waterproof roll-top bag insert vs the Tusk Highland roll-top bags with dry bag inserts.

My buddy has the R40 and he complains as much about inserting a Mosko bag loaded with stuff into the R40 holster as I complain about trying to insert the fully loaded dry bag into the Tusk Highland side bag. They are really equally as challenging to load with an already full bag. I've found the easiest way to deal with these Tusk Highland bags is to leave the dry bags in the side bags.

Separate from that, the only other issue I've encountered with my Highland setup is that on the KTM 1290 Super Adventures, the rear seat heat controls (if you have them...I do) kind of interfere with perfect mounting of the base system when you try to mount the system on the rear seat. This could be remedied by simply removing the rear seat heat controls I suppose.

Otherwise I really like these bags. They're pretty rugged (dropped my bike on them a few times already), they're pretty well thought out, they're easy to clean (pressure washer!), and they're a damn good deal. The only thing I can really think of that would make these bags perfect is if they had a quick attachment system of some type, like buckles. First world problems and all, but having to thread straps all around the bike every time I want to take it off and put it back on can be a bit of a pain.

[​IMG]
    ktmrider36 likes this.
  12. ktmrider36

ktmrider36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good points made SRTie4K. I think the main problem with stuffing the Tusk Highland bags while mounted on the KTM Adventures is that the passenger handles are in the way and cause you to use a funky angle to get them in. I’ve thought about cutting them back a little but am hesitant to do that because they do a great job of keeping the bags tucked in close to the bike. I know some have removed them. That’s not an option for me. Neither is running the bags on top of the handles. I think it is just a nuisance I’ll have to deal with and not a big problem.

I’m realizing after riding through some heavy sand recently, that I would prefer not having the dry duffle bag over the passenger seat. There are times I like to get up on the pegs and get my ass far back over the rear seat and the duffle is in my way. Tusk generously give you straps and instructions on how to mount the duffle on the rear rack instead which seems to be the fix. ThIs gives you options when you want to ride aggressively.

Now I just have to figure out how to clean up the beaver tail area. Without having a bag mounted, the beaver tail and it’s straps are kind of messy. I’ve got some ideas but remembering the literature on the Reckless 80 says you can remove the beaver tail. I wish that feature was available on the Tusk.

Overall, still very happy with the Tusk bags.
  13. N0madic

N0madic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info and photos on your AT, helps me visualize what the setup would look like on my ATAS and the bags look much nicer in your photos than they do on the RMATVMC website so that's a plus.

I'm looking to swap out the Honda panniers for soft bags like this for more adventurous rides. What size duffel is that, the medium?

I almost ordered the large dry duffel recently as I wanted to get an idea on the quality of the product. I'd like to see them offer the Highland setup with the large duffel as an option package (and price) as they do with the medium and small duffels as it would be more versatile for me when not running the Highland bags.
  14. JulienAT

JulienAT Om nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    My bag is a 25L firstgear Torrent waterproof duffle bag I bought last year for 50$. The color scheme of my duffle bag is basically the same as the Tusk side bags which is a plus. I think firstgear also offer a 40L option and 70L
    N0madic likes this.
  15. N0madic

N0madic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn't even notice it wasn't the Tusk. I need to take a look at sizing and dimensions again, if that is a 25L some of the duffels I'm looking at may be a bit large.

Do you happen to know the width of the setup installed in your photos? Thanks again.
  16. JulienAT

JulienAT Om nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    The 25L is 19”L x 12”W x 12”H according to https://fortnine.ca/en/firstgear-torrent-waterproof-duffel-bag

Both side bags are 25L each, add the 25L duffle bag too. I'm used to backcountry camping so all of my gear pretty much fit inside a 50-60L backpack. I think 75L total is enough for long trip with extra gloves, socks, Liners etc. The biggest piece of gear that I have is my tent which fit outside the duffle bag attached with the Tusk top straps alongside the duffle bag

btw I just went to the garage and measured the total width of the side bags which is ~32 inches. The Handlebars are about 35 inches.
    N0madic likes this.
  17. N0madic

N0madic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's what I was looking for, appreciate it. :thumb
    JulienAT likes this.
  18. Mordster

Mordster Wish I was riding, doesn't matter where to

Oddometer:
    Gave the pilots a good off road run today, nothing crazy but got some bouncy in. SO worth the money. My compliments to the minor details such as strap retainers. I also appreciate I can go single side and use the front d rings and "over the top" buckles cinched to my top plate. Lastly, I'm thrilled I can compress them skinny. Kudos.
    24B59DA7-2727-4B5B-9E84-1FC5F6853667.jpeg
    62E98747-AEC8-476C-8EC3-069EBC012BD0.jpeg
    kevinA likes this.
  19. transalper

transalper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New DRZ400 rack. Fits Highland much better, but there is still a little gap.

Kudos to Rocky Mountain for good customer service and replacing the original rack.

20200620_164348.jpg
  20. AndyTAZ

AndyTAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_0055.JPG IMG_0056.JPG
    Mounted and happy
    tsak8 likes this.