A CannonRide Around Lake Huron

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Sarnia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The day started off nice enough. On top of all the rain they had already, they expected between 40 and 60mm more today.
    [​IMG]

Big rail yards in Sarnia.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still running passenger service.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Round house for power units.
    [​IMG]

The St. Clair Tunnel goes under the river to the US. The first tunnel (to the left) was opened in 1891. Prior to the tunnel there was a bottleneck here with rail ferries. The original was an engineering marvel. They gnawed the tunnel from both ends at the same time and ended up with a continuous iron tube about 7,000 feet long. The tube had a diameter of just under 20 feet. At first they used steam but that was too dangerous (suffocation) so they went electric for the crossing.
    [​IMG]

In 1995 they opened the new tunnel and closed the old one. The new tunnel was bored in a single direction. It is a little over 6,000 feet long and has a diameter of 27.5 feet so it can handle double stacked freight cars.
    [​IMG]

1907 postcard of the original tunnel.
    [​IMG]

Steady rain. Lots of standing water about.
    [​IMG]

Sarnia has a big industrial element. They have refineries that get oil via pipelines from Alberta. They have a big petrochemical industry that took off when WWII created a demand for synthetic rubber. This industrial complex is a big polluter (air and water). The chemical outfits also tap the salt deposits under the city to get chlorine. Canada deemed the industrial complex here so important to Canada's development that they put the image of a Sarnia refinery on the back of a ten dollar bill.
    [​IMG]

This ship was built in Texas, loaded up with oil, and then sailed to the Great Lakes via the Welland Canal. With its twin fixed screws it can run almost 15 mph. It can carry liquid cargoes that range from gasoline to fertilizer.
    [​IMG]

During her first winter on the Great Lakes she got stuck in the ice in Saginaw Bay. The Coasties had to come and bust her out. She hit a bridge once and messed up some ballast tanks. When she was unloading in Detroit a massive ice floe struck her and tore up both sides of her bow including some internal damage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sarnia also has the world's largest photovoltaic power plant.
    [​IMG]

I think it is up to about 97MW.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This ship was built in Ontario. It was designed and built to handle coal (and iron ore). It has been run aground and has been banged up by a saltie (ocean going ship) when it was coming out of a lock.
    [​IMG]

What is interesting about this ship is that it has a single variable pitch screw with some fancy tunnels in the hull that maximize performance.
    [​IMG]

These guys seemed much happier than I was.
    [​IMG]

The Blue Water Bridge. Jointly owned by two governments.
    [​IMG]

When they built the first bridge, they had to keep the St Clair River open so they couldn't use floating platforms and the like. The bridge had to have 150 foot clearance for ships to pass.
    [​IMG]

The first bridge opened in 1938. Over time, they had more demand than capacity so they put up a second bridge in 1997. Of course, they immediately refurbished the original bridge so traffic was still not so good.
    [​IMG]

Together this pair of bridges is the second busiest crossing between the US and Canada with the Detroit-Windsor bridge crossing being the first.
    [​IMG]

The 40 mile long St Clair River runs from Lake Huron to Lake Erie. There is a strong current whipping through here. At this spot the river is narrow and deep. Further down it widens out and slows down. The drop is only about five feet.
    [​IMG]

During shipping season, this is one of the busiest waterways in the world with a ship passing on average about every seven minutes. To improve navigation, there has been some dredging and riverbed mining in the St Clair. By itself, that dropped the long term lake levels for Lakes Huron and Michigan by about 16 inches. Since then, unexpected erosion after the last major river project dropped that another 3 to 5 inches. The nearly two foot drop due to human intervention has some people calling for remediation to slow the flow of waters through the St Clair to restore former lake levels.
    [​IMG]
  2. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Am enjoying every page of this report Mr Cannon. I have had very good luck with the Stich triple digit rain gloves. I think you would also.
  3. tengai

tengai *

Oddometer:
    Good news on the Lake Level reported recently-----

LAKE HURON WATER LEVELS CONTINUE ABOVE AVERAGE IN JUNE

CRAIG ROUTZAHN
    Wed, 17 Jun 2015 06:20:46 EDT

<!--[files/02946_ARMYCORP_JUNE.jpg]--><TABLE style="MARGIN: 25px 10px 10px 20px; FLOAT: right; CLEAR: right" width=302 bgColor=#696969><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD>
    click on the picture to enlarge

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

THE OVERALL GREAT LAKES BASIN RECEIVED ABOVE AVERAGE PRECIPITATION FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 4 MONTHS IN MAY. THE U.S. ARMY CORP OF ENGINEERS IN DETROIT SAID THAT BOTH LAKES HURON AND MICHIGAN WERE ABOVE THEIR LONG TERM AVERAGES AS OF THE END OF MAY WITH LAKE HURON UP BY 4 INCHES AND LAKE MICHIGAN BY 6 INCHES. PROJECTIONS BY THE CORP OF ENGINEERS INDICATES LAKE HURON SHOULD REMAIN ABOVE ITS LONG TERM AVERAGE FOR THE REMAINDER OF THIS YEAR. HOW MUCH HIGHER IS DEPENDENT ON THE AMOUNT OF PRECIPITATION IN THE BASIN AND THE INFLOW FROM LAKE SUPERIOR AND LAKE MICHIGAN IN THE REMAINDER OF 2015.

----------------------------------

Still following along Cannon...
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Port Huron

I originally planned a day or two exploring up and down the St Clair River including some interesting stuff in Detroit. With this nasty rainy front stationary here I decided to take a "rain check" on that and pick it up later on. The weather people said that if I rode north I could get out from under the rain. So, I stuck to the lake proper instead of taking a substantial side trip.

[​IMG]

Port Huron burned (50 dead) in the Great Fire of 1871. This fire happened at the same time the Chicago and Peshtigo fires happened. The fire burned much of the thumb of Michigan.
    [​IMG]

This is a museum ship. The USCGC Bramble is one of about 39 180 foot seagoing buoy tenders that were built between 1942 and 1944. The ship was built by a dredge company in Duluth.
    [​IMG]

This ship was based in San Pedro (CA), Juneau, Frisco, and was involved in the A-bomb test on surface ships in the Bikini Atoll.
    [​IMG]

During the 50s, this was one of the ships chosen to attempt a forced passage in the Northwest Passage. This successful mission was the first circumnavigation of the North American continent. She also chased drug runners in the Caribbean and spent a lot of time doing aids to navigation, icebreaking, search and rescue, and law enforcement on the Great Lakes.
    [​IMG]

Industry across the river in Sarnia. Lots of stacks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This ship hauls stone around. It was built during WWII under a government program where you had to trade in some old ships to get a new one. Even though the government approved the plans, the first time this ship sailed in moderate seas the deck cracked. It happened to another sister ship that almost foundered as well. The government ordered that these ships have some significant reinforcement done to their structure. Big ships like this breaking in two is not uncommon. The ships flex so much that if you look down a passage that runs the length of the ship the hatch at the other end can go partially in and out of view.
    [​IMG]

I saw it loading stone up in the UP in the past.
    [​IMG]

In February they were doing some welding in this ship while it was in port. A fire broke out. The local fire department and some confined spaces fire fighters responded and put it out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Earlier this spring, she ran aground up near DeTour.
    [​IMG]

The Coasties sent boats from St Ignace and The Soo. A helicopter flew up from Traverse City (MI) to see if anything was leaking.
    [​IMG]

Museum in Port Huron.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting old railroad bridge.
    [​IMG]

Counterbalance.
    [​IMG]

Great Lakes Maritime Center
    [​IMG]

Great place for boat nerds to do some ship watching.
    [​IMG]

Left over from the rail barge days.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure what this was all about. Maybe a school.
    [​IMG]

Now a museum ship, this light ship was launched in 1920. Light ships were big on the Great Lakes. They are like light houses but mark dangerous shoals out in the lakes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue Water Bridge
    [​IMG]

Tommy Edison
    [​IMG]

Tom used to work in the news bidness at this depot. Now it is a museum with a bunch of Edison exhibits.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fort Gratiot came into being after the war of 1812. Key terrain here at the top of the St Clair River and all that. The fort was manned on and off through the years. There is a light house on the site.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some interesting people are from Port Huron. Felix Watts was an inventor that invented a motion picture projector and a bunch automotive stuff like an ignition system, light switches, and locking mechanisms. He sold stuff to Henry Ford and was pals with him. Vice Admiral Freddy Sherman was from here. He was a three-time Navy Cross winner. He had the Lexington shot out from under him during the Battle of the Coral Sea. He had some important assignments during the war. Herbie Kalmbach was personal attorney to Richard M. Nixon. Herbie got hooked into the Watergate scandal and did some time in the big house.

Another reminder.
    [​IMG]
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I bought a pair of those rain gloves when I got home. Haven't put them to the test yet. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks for the update! That is great news and a remarkable recovery in the past few years. It is making a lot of harbor and marina owners happy. For a while, some ships had to limit their loads because ports weren't deep enough.

"Since September 2014, all of the Great Lakes have been above their monthly average levels for the first time since the late 1990s. The unusually wet conditions of 2013 and 2014 effectively ended the 15- year period of persistent below-average water levels on Lakes Superior, Michigan, and Huron. The surprisingly swift rebound in water levels on the upper lakes broke records across the region. The net rise in water levels on Lake Superior from January 2013 through December 2014 was roughly 2 feet (about 0.6 meters), the highest net increase ever recorded for a 2-year period starting in January and ending the following December. Similarly, on Lake Michigan-Huron, the rise in water levels from the record-low in January 2013 through December 2014 was a remarkable 3.1 feet (nearly 1 meter), an increase that almost tied the record rise set in 1950- 1951."

The paper says they have a difficult time predicting levels beyond six months so they don't know if this is a blip or a long term trend.

One thing we do know is that the water being diverted from Hudson Bay to Lake Superior for hydro and other projects in Canada add about 2% to the flow out of Lake Superior. These have raised the water level of Lake Superior by 2.4 inches, Lakes Michigan and Huron by 4.3 inches, Lake Erie by 3.1 inches, and Lake Ontario by 2.8 inches.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Around the thumb. The goal here was to ride out of the cold rain and wind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Port Sanilac has an interesting museum.
    [​IMG]

They started off as a lumber settlement and began to grow in the 1840s and 50s.
    [​IMG]

Harbor and marina. There is an underwater preserve along here that has a lot of great wrecks in it.
    [​IMG]

This is a private tribute to the lighthouse that burned with the rest of the town in the 1871 fire.
    [​IMG]

White Rock is named for a white boulder offshore that was used as a boundary marker for a treaty.
    [​IMG]

The wind was wicked riding along the shore.
    [​IMG]

Harbor Beach is a port of refuge. It started as a lumber town around 1837.
    [​IMG]

Frankie Murphy was from this town. Frank served as Governor, US Attorney General, an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. He is remembered for his dissenting opinion protesting the decision to uphold exclusion orders imposed on persons of Japanese descent during WWII.

Lou Sebille is also from here. Lou was a pilot during WWII and Korea. During the Korean War he attacked a North Korean armored column that was advancing on UN troops. He and his Mustang were badly shot up during the first pass. Lou turned his plane around and deliberately crashed it into the convoy. Medal of Honor.

"North Korean anti aircraft fire struck Sebille's F-51 as he turned to make a second run, heavily damaging the aircraft and it began trailing smoke and glycol coolant. Sebille had intended to release his second bomb, but he radioed Johnson that he had been hit and injured, probably fatally. Johnson radioed back Sebille should try to head for a US emergency landing strip in Taegu a short distance away, but Sebille responded with his last known words, "No, I'll never make it. I'm going back and get that bastard (sic)". He dove straight toward the APC that was his target. He fired his six rockets in salvo, but instead of pulling up to the regular 2,000 feet (610 m), he deliberately continued to dive his airplane and the remaining bomb straight into the target, firing his six machine guns. His plane sustained even heavier damage, and he crashed into the North Korean convoy destroying a large contingent of North Korean ground troops and vehicles though being killed instantly himself."
    [​IMG]

It was interesting to read that his first mission in Europe was to bomb a power plant with a result of one plane lost and 10 damaged. Three days later they went back but Lou was not on the mission. Of the planes sent on the mission, the only one to return was an abort - the rest were lost.

This outfit makes colors, flavors, and fragrances. They develop food and beverage systems, cosmetic ingredients, inkjet ink, and other stuff.
    [​IMG]

This 1858 chimney is all that is left of the mill in Port Hope that was taken out in the 1871 fire. After being rebuilt, it burned again a few years later.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice restoration of a local railroad depot. I started photographing railroad structures in Wisconsin so I pay more attention to them as I travel now.
    [​IMG]

Pointe Aux Barques Lighthouse. It is one of the ten oldest in Michigan.
    [​IMG]

The steamship Danny Morrell broke in two near here during a storm in November 1966. It was 603' long and usually carried iron ore. It was the last run of the season for her. When the ship didn't show up at Taconite Harbor as scheduled, the Coasties put out a "be on the lookout" for her. On November 30th a Coast Guard helicopter found the lone survivor of the wreck floating in a life raft with the bodies of three of his shipmates. He survived about 40 hours wearing boxer shorts, a pea coat, and a life jacket. The Coasties attributed the sinking to brittle steel which was a common problem for ships built before 1948. When the Morrell broke in two some of the crew were on the front half loading into a raft when they spotted a ship nearby. It turns out that the nearby ship was the back half of the Morrell and that it was still under power and was running them down on the front half. I think 26 of 28 crewman were located with bodies washing up as much as six months later.

A sister ship cracked but didn't sink in the same storm. Being a total loss, they decided to tow it to Europe to scrap it out. On the way, it broke in two in a storm off Newfoundland and sank.
    [​IMG]

I kind of lost track of where I was along here. Cold wind and rain had made me a bit hypothermic. Even though I was using an electric jacket and my Klim Badlands kept my body dry, I was still losing more heat than I needed and had wet hands and feet. Temps were in the 40s before adding motorcycle induced wind and wind off the lake. I did manage to ride out of the rain though. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fishing outfit. I think these guys have it much worse that I did riding in the rain.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was trying to figure this gadget out. It looks like it might sort sugar beets since this is at a sugar plant.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped at a Tim Hortons and got a hot cup of coffee. When I took my coat off I immediately started awkwardly shivering. Relaxed and warmed up for a bit, got a little something to eat, and called it a day. Got a room and dried stuff out.
  7. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    Great update! As I suspected, lots of things I have ridden past many times and never really noticed. Also some I see every time I go past. Thanks. I hope you got to stop at Wimpy's in Lexington for a burger.
  8. Wal2

Wal2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    brilliant, constantly interesting and engrossing, a mini modern road movie, :D thanks for taking the time, your effort shines through and makes a quality ride report......yes, its different to an Alaska to Argentina ride, but nonetheless captures the essence of great motorcycling, albeit in a different vein,...... history, geography and motorcycling.......3 of my favourite subjects rolled into one.....:thumb

pity about the wet feet/hands.....:lol3
  9. OnTheWay

OnTheWay Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you spend time on ridding and writing report?:norton:norton:norton

It takes a lot of time to find story behind.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Bay City to East Tawas - Part I

Bay City developed because some ships had a hard time getting up the river to Saginaw. It was originally called Lower Saginaw.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The grand old city hall.
    [​IMG]

A few years back they were doing a roofing job on this thing. Some contractor grinding bolts started a fire which set off some sprinklers. The five hour fire-fight wasn't so hard on the building, but the water damage from the sprinklers and fighting the fire was.
    [​IMG]

The old Republic Hotel. Speaking of the government owned power company here. In 2009 the electric company put a power limiter on a 93 year old's house to try to collect on an outstanding $1,000+ electric bill. They installed the limiter but didn't talk to the guy who already had a check made out to pay the bill but hadn't yet mailed it. The 93 year old died of hypothermia a few days later. The fit hit the shan and all limiters were pulled. The 93 year old left a $500K estate to the local medical center.
    [​IMG]

Nice railroad station. Oh yeah, the guy that founded Avis Rent A Car is from here. Also, Madonna was born here.
    [​IMG]

This looked railroadish as well but I didn't find any background on it.
    [​IMG]

GM has a big power train plant here that dumps about $37M in payroll into the area.
    [​IMG]

This is the museum ship USS Edson. This destroyer was built in Maine in 1958. She was out of Long Beach and served in the Pacific and Far East. She got some commendations in the Gulf of Tonkin and worked the Taiwan Strait. She was shelled by North Vietnamese land forces and even took a little friendly fire from the USAF.
    [​IMG]

The ship was named after "Red Mike" Edson, a Marine Major General. Edson was awarded the Medal of Honor, two Navy Crosses, and a Silver Star among other things. He commanded a Marine Raider Battalion during WWII. Looking back on his engagements he seemed to get into desperate battles that ended with hand-to-hand combat. Here he is on the job in Tinian.
    [​IMG]

His Medal of Honor Citation. "For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty as Commanding Officer of the 1st Marine Raider Battalion, with Parachute Battalion attached, during action against enemy Japanese forces in the Solomon Islands on the night of 13&#8211;14 September 1942. After the airfield on Guadalcanal had been seized from the enemy on August 8, Col. Edson, with a force of 800 men, was assigned to the occupation and defense of a ridge dominating the jungle on either side of the airport. Facing a formidable Japanese attack which, augmented by infiltration, had crashed through our front lines, he, by skillful handling of his troops, successfully withdrew his forward units to a reserve line with minimum casualties. When the enemy, in a subsequent series of violent assaults, engaged our force in desperate hand-to-hand combat with bayonets, rifles, pistols, grenades, and knives, Col. Edson, although continuously exposed to hostile fire throughout the night, personally directed defense of the reserve position against a fanatical foe of greatly superior numbers. By his astute leadership and gallant devotion to duty, he enabled his men, despite severe losses, to cling tenaciously to their position on the vital ridge, thereby retaining command not only of the Guadalcanal airfield, but also of the 1st Division's entire offensive installations in the surrounding area."

There used to be a big shipbuilding outfit here. With the loss of Navy contracts in the 70s she went under.
    [​IMG]

Between 1920 and WWII, this outfit built yachts and a few cutters. They even built a yacht for the chairman of Montgomery Ward. If I recall, that dude was against getting involved in WWII and coincidentally the government took his yacht so the Coasties could use it for picket duty on the east coast.
    [​IMG]

During WWII the shipyard cranked out 154 vessels for the war effort including mine-sweepers, destroyer escorts, patrol craft, and the like. These guys had a unique upside down technique where they welded the hull while it was upside down, and then rolled it over to finish the rest of the ship. Their fast welding allowed them to crank out one 73 foot patrol craft each week.
    [​IMG]

After WWII they built some lakers. Their last commercial job in the 70s was to build a bow section for a 1,000 foot ship (but not the ship). The bow got floated over to another port to complete the build. With Navy contracts fading, so did the yard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the smooth move department, a tank ship was unloading gasoline in the harbor when another ship blew past causing a big wake that broke the tank ship free from the dock. A fire and explosion broke out and the whole mess ended up in court. 50% to the speeding ship, 25% to the tank ship for improper unloading procedures, and 25% to the dock operator for rotten wood pilings.
    [​IMG]

This is the Wally McCarthy. She was built in two sections at the yard in Sturgeon Bay, WI. She was the first thousand footer built there. She has controllable pitch props and bow and stern thrusters. She can carry about 79,000 tons in her seven holds.
    [​IMG]

She is a self-unloader. The conveyor and 250' boom can be swung 92 degrees in either direction and discharge about 6,000 tons of coal an hour.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Bay City to East Tawas - Part II

Looks like Pinconning is trying to cash in on some of that Wisconsin cheese industry. Between you and I, I hear that they smuggle Wisconsin cheese in by ship at night and rebrand it.
    [​IMG]

Actually, Pinconning is best known as the World Headquarters for VVmapping. I use these aftermarket maps for GPS units all the time when I am riding in the Great Lakes region or in the Appalachia region. Anyone that is a trail rider will appreciate these maps. They also provide an excellent trail guide that provides paper maps, photos, and video of trail systems (at no cost) so that riders can get excellent information about places to ride. Good folks!

I wasn't able to visit their headquarters, but I did get a shot of the facility where they produce electronic map downloads for GPS units. :D
    [​IMG]

Omer was intended to be named Homer until they found out there already was one in Michigan. They used to be Michigan's smallest city but now they have grown to be second smallest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the old depot is some kind of senior meal operation now. Omer had a law about shouting expletives. A canoeist fell out of his canoe and let loose in the presence of a woman and her two children. The guy got a ticket. The ACLU got involved and got the law struck down.
    [​IMG]

The lake is much calmer today.
    [​IMG]

Building made using local stone.
    [​IMG]

Tawas Point.
    [​IMG]

Looks like it has one of Augie Fresnel's lenses.
    [​IMG]
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It always amazes me some of the interesting things that are around that we don't hear much about. I missed Wimpy's but I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today. :D

Thanks! I used to ride around and see cool stuff and wonder what the story about it was. Even though I looked into a few things after those rides, it wasn't the same as having the information before I visited. Now I do the research ahead of time to find places I might be interested in.

Something I forget to mention. When I was riding around in the cold rain I would occasionally get a whiff of wood smoke from someone that was burning wood for heat. That smell was kind of comforting because it made me think about sitting in front of a wood fire while I dried out and warmed up. :D

Winter is Wisconsin is cold and snowy. I spend time during the winter reading books and searching the web to find out more information about places I might want to visit. I always find more stuff than I could get to on a ride, but doing the research to plan the ride is kind of like getting to enjoy it a more than once. The reporting part can be quite a task, but it is worth it to help out the next rider that might want to explore an area.
  13. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From your first post, looked like you were going to cross at the Ambasador Bridge and head up the Detroit River, Lake St. Clair, St. Clair River etc,???
  14. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    Thanks again, Bryan. I'm really enjoying this RR, especially since you just told of passing through my stomping grounds. I live a short distance from Port Sanilac.

Just out of curiosity, how long did the whole ride take?
  15. tengai

tengai *

Oddometer:
    Next time you come thru the Thumb, Cannon -let me know. You covered most of the sight-seeing places, but there are few others you breezed past, and always---free spot to take a rest and catch up on times. :deal

Went to Harbor Beach High School.
  16. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    :huh :lol3
  17. 2TrakR

2TrakR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Must have been a high-wind day, usually the locally-sourced-smog completely obscures our production facility.

Great write up, as always. Even with cruddy weather, you do spectacular work.

Wish you would've slowed down when passing us, could have given you the nickel tour and insight into the local saginaw bay beach agriculture scene.

[​IMG]
  18. OldSilverFox

OldSilverFox Let's Go!

Oddometer:
    Bryan
    Enjoying your RR.
    Too bad I didn't know you where in Sarnia. It's where I live.
    Would have offered a dry place stay and could have found a few interesting places to eat.
    Maybe next time.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    River Road National Scenic Byway - Part I

The byway is a 22 mile run along the Au Sable River.

Speaking of VVmaps, here is a sample that shows ORV trails and routes in the area of the byway. I like that it also shows public and private land.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oscoda. Eric Harris, one of the perpetrators of the Columbine High School massacre lived here while his father was stationed at a nearby Air Force Base.
    [​IMG]

A very nice ride along a very scenic river.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Au Sable River starts up in north central Michigan (LP) and runs 138 miles to Lake Huron. It is one of the best brown trout fisheries east of the Rockies and has been designated a Blue Ribbon Trout Stream.
    [​IMG]

One would think that the water here would be pretty pure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yet there is an advisory about eating resident fish from this part of the river. Below the hydro dams there is some excellent trout fishing for fish that migrate in from the lake.
    [​IMG]

Boat tour
    [​IMG]

There are six hydro dams along the river. I doubt they would be permitted today. Combined they produce less than half the power produced by the photovoltaic plant in Sarnia.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A long climb back up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would have tried this out on a lighter dual sport.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This sculpture depicts a log jam, a common problem for people floating logs on the river.
    [​IMG]

Logging was huge in this area. There was a lot of white pine to be harvested. Land could be purchased for as little as $1.25 an acre. During the winter sawyers cut trees and swampers trimmed them. Logs were loaded on sled and towed by oxen to a river. When the rivers opened in the spring, logs were sent downstream to mills. I think there were about 665 sawmills in Michigan back in the day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The middle guy was keeping track of their harvest on his iPad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you walk down a big load of wooden steps, you get to this floating shack that traveled with the loggers on the rivers. Cook house, etc.
    [​IMG]

This precise survey point was placed in a spot that was handy for people to bounce their GPS/smartphone readings against. Personally, I'm not a big GPS guy.
    [​IMG]

After loggers mowed down the forests, Frankie Roosevelt came up with the Civilian Conservation Corps as a relief program. Part of their job was to plant trees and fight forest fires. The Army ran these camps.
    [​IMG]

Wildland fire fighter.
    [​IMG]

This is a very good read about the CCC boys working with crews to fight a fire.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CCC constructed.
    [​IMG]

Today.
    [​IMG]

Shows how barren the ground here was after logging.
    [​IMG]

Today.
    [​IMG]

Imagine my astonishment when I learned that you had to be qualified (like for a chain saw) to use a cross-cut saw in the National Forests.
    [​IMG]

There is a marathon canoe race on the Au Sable every year.
    [​IMG]

It runs through the night (if need be) and is one of the Triple Crown of canoe racing.
    [​IMG]

They sure have a lot of steps around here.
    [​IMG]

I'll save you the walk.
    [​IMG]

Not so good for motorcycle boots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many nice overlooks on the high banks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even saw a grizzly on this trip. :D
    [​IMG]

I was poking around some dirt roads looking for something and ran into this guy raking while wearing KTM gloves. Of course this led to some chit-chat about adventure motorcycles and dual sports.
    [​IMG]
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    River Road National Scenic Byway - Part II

Hydro dam. There was nothing out here when these were built.
    [​IMG]

The bridge, now a snowmobile crossing, is on the National Register of Historic Places.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I notice these dams use tainter gates (a Wisconsin invention now used around the world).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camping available apart from the NF.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They would build one dam/plant and then move on to build another.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]