A CannonRide Around Lake Huron

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The former Wurtsmith AFB.
    [​IMG]

Some fancy new Air Force gadget. Must be a reserve unit around.
    [​IMG]

The base used to have B-52s. Since all the infrastructure for big planes was there when the base closed it was an easy transition to make it a maintenance facility for heavy aircraft and a base for a cargo company.
    [​IMG]

Airlines send some heavies here for extensive inspections.
    [​IMG]

Kalitta has 22 747 freighters and hauls a lot of cargo around.
    [​IMG]

This guy started up hauling parts for the auto business with a twin engine Cessna 310.

The owner is also a professional drag racer. In fact, he won the money to buy that Cessna 310 while drag racing.
    [​IMG]

After the attacks of 9/11 when no planes were flying, Kalitta had a plane in the air flying high priority rescue supplies from the west coast to the east.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is also a museum on the base. Pretty basic stuff there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The old military housing area on base. There must have been a glut of available housing in the area when the based closed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like WWII stuff.
    [​IMG]

This statue in Oscoda was originally built for a department store parade float in Detroit. After the parade, someone bought it for $50 and brought it here. It was covered in fiberglass and now stands in the park. Lots of towns claim an association with the Paul Bunyan lore.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I mentioned in the Sarnia or Port Huron post that I lopped that off since a front was parked over that area dropping heavy rain for a day or two. I had about 1 1/2 days riding in that area that I will pick up on another ride. There is a lot of interesting stuff there to take a look at.

I think it was a nine day ride, but I poked around a lot looking at stuff. I think I did something similar on Lake Superior in about the same amount of time.

Can't do 'em all! :dunno I try to hold down the total number of waypoints to 1,000 when I am done with the file. Some things I check out on the ride I discard because they turned out to not be much. Some things I skip in the first place. Some things I never find out about. :D

Thanks for the offer. It would be good to see you again!
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I like kidding those guys. They do such a great job!

Thanks! I left lopped off a side loop of some interesting things that I decided weren't connected to the lake loop. I still want to cover them. Maybe I'll expand that a bit and come back to the area to check a few more things out. I'll hit up a few folks for some more local knowledge if I do.

Wish I had known! It would have been nice to chat a bit!
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Oscoda to the 45th Parallel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Commercial fishing boat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of two stone depots along this line. The RR was going to build the usual wood depot. The people of the town talked them into building a stone depot by having the town contribute the stone. The RR told them what they needed and the locals piled the stone on site.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sturdy looking caboose.
    [​IMG]

Dredge.
    [​IMG]

The head turns and gnaws the lake bottom loose. Then pipes pump the slurry away.
    [​IMG]

Compare it to this heavy-duty model the Corps of Engineers used on the Upper Mississippi River.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This head gnaws through trees.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stop and wet a line along the way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting old school.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

“Rules for Teachers 1872″
    1. Teachers each day will fill lamps, clean chimneys.

2. Each teacher will bring a bucket of water and a scuttle of coal for the day session.

3. Make your pens carefully, you may whittle nibs to the individual taste of the pupils.

4. Men teachers may take one evening each week for courting purposes, or two evenings a week if they go to church regularly.

5. After ten hours in school, the teachers may spend the remaining time reading the bible or some other good books.

6. Women teachers who marry or engage in unseemly conduct will be dismissed.

7. Every teacher should lay aside from each pay a goodly sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years so that he will not become a burden on society.

8. Any teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequents pool or public halls, or gets shaved in a barber shop will give a good reason to suspect his worth, intention, integrity and honesty.

9. The teacher who performs his labor faithfully and without fault for five years will be given an increase of twenty five cents per week in his pay, providing the board of education approves.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lighthouse at Sturgeon Point
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice calm day today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went looking for Alcona. It was big time once. Not much there now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About all that is left.
    [​IMG]

Old school.
    [​IMG]

Old stone church.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They certainly went out of their way to make this one fireproof.
    [​IMG]

Nice sand (but firm) backroad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oil production (idled) in the area.
    [​IMG]

Everybody wants to claim these two.
    [​IMG]

Tourist joint.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Alpena

[​IMG]

Alpena airport was used by Bruce Willis and crew for Diehard 2. They needed the snow, which the Denver airport didn't have, so they moved it here. It was also used in an episode of Home Improvement.
    [​IMG]

Always nice to see what kind of boats are around.
    [​IMG]

Government boat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kind of defeats the purpose of a flying bridge. :dunno
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coastal artillery.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On a trailer and ready to deploy. Quicker to take it to a landing close to the need than to motor the entire distance.
    [​IMG]

Lots of federal presence here.
    [​IMG]

1898 Fletcher Paper Mill.
    [​IMG]

Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center
    [​IMG]

The local college offers marine technology.
    [​IMG]

They used to offer boat building as a community project. Now they are doing underwater remotely operated vehicles. Even small school kids are included in the program.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone told me they do SCUBA instruction in this tank.
    [​IMG]

Looks more like a set-up for ROVs to me.
    [​IMG]

Helpful employee that was pretty enthusiastic about the place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wonder if that windscreen is Asian Carp certified. The disturbance of the boat causes Asian Carp to leap into the air. Tough to get smacked by one at speed.
    [​IMG]

This place is concrete city.
    [​IMG]

This is where they train cement heads.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Probably not a good idea to cartop these concrete canoes.
    [​IMG]

Nice museum in town.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The quarry dumps rocks here so you can go fossil hunting and keep what you find.
    [​IMG]

Someone is probably wondering how you make cement. Here you go.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test question. :evil
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This outfit makes cement stuff like for making concrete blocks. There is also a drywall outfit in town.
    [​IMG]

Saw they were peddling brats so I had to stop. Bratwurst is a native food for Wisconsinites.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

World's largest cement plant.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    On to Rogers City - Part I Alpena to Metz Fire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very nice ride along here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Museum
    [​IMG]

Red right rising.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These life rafts float off a ship as it sinks. This on has two sides so as it flips with the waves people can climb back on. When one of the stone boats from Rogers City broke in two on Lake Michigan the people that survived (some only for a while) kept getting tossed off of one of these. With cold water, after a while you can't get back on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couldn't get in here to look around.
    [​IMG]

Here is what it looks like.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rare species of headless duck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front range light.
    [​IMG]

Rear range light. Line the two up to sail safely down the line to get into port.
    [​IMG]

The old range light.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Former keeper.
    [​IMG]

Old lighthouse.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Replacement lighthouse.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The kind of seas that sink a laker wouldn't make this lifeboat such an attractive prospect.
    [​IMG]

Very nice evening.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stone dissolves leaving cave networks underground. There are a few preserves of some of these networks around. Cavers go exploring there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An old mill. It ran until 1963.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good thing these guys are four-wheel drive. They were in there deep.
    [​IMG]

Tragic Metz Fire.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some people escaped the fire by crawling along the tracks. Those in this car were cremated leaving only ashes and bones.
    [​IMG]

As the train ran between stacks of burning ties and lumber, it ran onto the ground as the rails had been deformed by the intense heat. The open gondola full of people was stopped in the midst of it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An "authority" from this tavern told me that they were scheduled to build a new monument that very day next to the tracks by the tavern. No one had showed up that day.
    [​IMG]
  7. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never knew about Wurtsmith. Thanks for the look.
  8. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    Excellent. I spent summers in the Hawks/Metz/Posen/Rogers City area. Lots of stories, can't tell them all in RR, but I get all happy when you hit the ones I know. I get all 'huh?' when you tell ones I don't. Great job, thanks.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Rogers City

Rogers City has the world's largest limestone quarry. It started up in 1912. High quality stone.
    [​IMG]

These shots are from an overlook that lets you see into part of the quarry.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those are huge boulders, not stones.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have a viewing area near where the stone boats come in. No boats in port right now. About 500 boat loads of stone go out of here each season.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These Morans are everywhere it seems.
    [​IMG]

This is a picture from years ago of their stone boat fleet laid up for winter here. Two of these ships sank.
    [​IMG]

The Carl Bradley broke in two on Lake Michigan in a storm. There were a couple of survivors. The boat was scheduled to have some major work done. I read a book about the sinking and the crew was a little ill at ease because of some things that had been happening with her. Instead of going to the yard for major work, they scheduled one last trip for her.
    [​IMG]

<IFRAME height=315 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/692IEhRcHPQ?list=PL2691CFE2FFCDA0A4" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

The Cedarville was running in the fog in the Mackinac Strait when she collided with a salty. The salty holed her hull. The Captain tried to run the laker aground to save it but didn't make. She rolled and sank.
    [​IMG]

Nice calm evening on the lake.
    [​IMG]

Time to find a place to stay.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full moon kept things bright.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This bar is where some of the ship crews hang out. Want to talk ships? Stop here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another museum.
    [​IMG]
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Seems like Michigan has more than its share of cold war air bases that are now shut down.

Thanks. Pretty interesting area in the NE part of the LP. Rogers City is quite an operation.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Heading toward Cheboygan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard to believe these lakes can break giant ore ships in two.
    [​IMG]

A pleasant cool and calm morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old school.
    [​IMG]

Very calm along the lake.
    [​IMG]

Pilothouse from one of the stone ships that used to operate out of Rogers City.
    [​IMG]

The Calcite.
    [​IMG]

The Calcite in for the winter with the other company ships at Rogers City.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steam powered fog horn.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ocqueoc Falls
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ocqueoc Lake CCC Camp
    [​IMG]

When the camps were established, the guys showed up on trucks and lived in tents. Then local contractors would build temporary buildings for the crews.
    [​IMG]

This place is preserved and used as an outdoor education center.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The equipment shed was small. Each camp only had some light trucks. Work was done with light tools by hand.
    [​IMG]

A nice spot for a camp.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lamprey weir on the Ocqueoc River. The lip, in combination with an electrical pulse barrier, prevents lampreys from moving upstream.
    [​IMG]

I think if they lift these plates they have a lot of lampreys trapped. Sea lampreys came in with ships that entered the Great Lakes from overseas. The lamprey devastated the fishery. We have a handle on it now but it is a constant struggle. More about lampreys later on.
    [​IMG]

It looks like they are using a lampricide drip to kill lampreys in the larva stage. The larva live in the river bottom for years before moving out to the lake. This small drip is very effective in knocking them off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Cheboygan
    [​IMG]

I can see where this would be useful in delivering construction equipment and supplies to the islands.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Fisheries Research Vessel Sturgeon (USGS).
    [​IMG]

The Research Vessel Arcticus (USGS).
    [​IMG]

Sport fishing boat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice pedestrian walkway over the river.
    [​IMG]

There is a lock to deal with this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New range light.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of my associates will have to wait outside. :evil
    [​IMG]

When I looked at the Opera House, I thought they messed up the original design. I guess it is a combination opera house, police station, and city hall.
    [​IMG]

Maybe the remodel wasn't so bad after all. This thing goes back to the 1870s.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old range light building. Looks like the panel and a new light are still in use. Line up the two to get a safe bearing into port. Take a look at the aerial image of Cheboygan at the top of this post and you can see how narrow the channel coming into the port really is.
    [​IMG]

The 2006 version of the USCGC Mackinaw. This is a heavy ice breaker that replaces the old Mackinaw that we'll drop in on later on.
    [​IMG]

Ice breakers big and small are required to extend the shipping season on the Great Lakes since so much raw material for industry is transported on the lakes. This one often works with a helicopter to sort things out ahead.
    [​IMG]

She was built by a Wisconsin shipyard.
    [​IMG]

Looks like contractor maintenance going on. I've seen this ship in dry dock in Sturgeon Bay (WI) before.
    [​IMG]

Besides being powerful as heck, this ship has azipods for the screws so you can spin the mounts in many directions. Great control of the direction of the ship which otherwise gets restricted by ice. So you could push the stern sideways to bust ice.
    [​IMG]

One her way to her home port of Cheboygan her first Captain put a 10 foot dent in the bow by hitting a seawall. Sunk his career I'm sure. He was probably with that ship during construction.
    [​IMG]

Old Cheboygan light. Got replaced by lights out on the shoals that replaced light ships.
    [​IMG]

Poe Reef Light.
    [​IMG]

All those cormorants hanging out there make the place look like a scene from a Hitchcock movie.
    [​IMG]

14 foot shoal. Not sure what the water depth is there.
    [​IMG]

When they built this, they built a giant wooden crib on shore and then floated it to the site. Then they filled it with rocks and concrete as a foundation and then built the rest.
    [​IMG]

You can see the Mackinac Bridge from around here even though it is a long way off.
    [​IMG]
  13. OnTheWay

OnTheWay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you again, excellent pictures and story ....

We are lucky below two photos are not reversed,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    On to Mackinaw City and the Bridge

[​IMG]

Lots of stuff going on here. Interesting working sawmill on site.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before the bridge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aligns the ramp to the deck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the original ice breaker USCGC Mackinaw. It was built in a year during WWII to keep the industrial engine fueled by extending the shipping season on the Great Lakes.
    [​IMG]

That bow has broken a lot of ice. A guy would have to stand watch on the bow during ice breaking operations.
    [​IMG]

Her first skipper became Commandant of the Coast Guard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swarms of bugs appear in the picture. It was bad.
    [​IMG]

Nice museum ship.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tourists headed for Mackinac Island.
    [​IMG]

The island has a population of about 500 year around. During the summer as many as 15,000 people a day can visit the island. There is an old fort on the island. They moved it from the island to the mainland back in the day. John Jacob Astor had a big fur trading operation here. By today's dollars he became the fifth richest American of all time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hotel on Mackinac Island.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Jimmy Barker is a 1,000 foot long self unloader.
    [​IMG]

The Mackinac Bridge used to be the longest suspension bridge in the world. It is longer than the Golden Gate.
    [​IMG]

The towers are 552 feet above the water and have about 210 feet below the water. Mid-span, the roadway is about 200' above the water. There is 155' clearance for ships. Mid span, the water is about 300' deep.
    [​IMG]

Seems like they are always working on the bridge doing maintenance.
    [​IMG]

The bridge opened in 1957. It is about five miles long. The center span can shift laterally as much as 35 feet in one direction during high winds. It won't wobble or sway, it just shifts and then eventually moves back into position under the weight of the bridge and traffic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Five workers died building the bridge. A diver got the bends, a guy lost his balance and bounced off a bunch of steel beams, another guy fell four feet into the water (heart attack), two other guys died when a catwalk collapsed. The catwalk guys were on their first day on the job. One body never found.
    [​IMG]

Since the bridge was completed, one worker died when he fell 70 feet into the water. He survived the fall but didn't survive the water temperature.

These grates put a little wobble on a motorcycle. Best to ride the paved lane if they allow you to.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out these great photos from building the bridge. Someone also made an excellent documentary about building the bridge that shows on public television every now and again. Here are some segments from the documentary.

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8TQWvQS94ms" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike Rowe did a Dirty Jobs episode chiseling paint inside one of these towers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Indeed. Thanks for following along!
  16. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    great stuff! hard to fathom that there were people there in the 1600's, when where i live was nothing not much more than 50 yrs. ago....
  17. Flyboy52219

Flyboy52219 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what this was all about. Maybe a school.
    [​IMG]

Building is called McMorran…...host concerts and such...there is an …ice rink attached to the auditorium. http://www.mcmorran.com

Loving this RR.
  18. Flyboy52219

Flyboy52219 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I kind of lost track of where I was along here. Cold wind and rain had made me a bit hypothermic. Even though I was using an electric jacket and my Klim Badlands kept my body dry, I was still losing more heat than I needed and had wet hands and feet. Temps were in the 40s before adding motorcycle induced wind and wind off the lake. I did manage to ride out of the rain though. :D
    [​IMG]

That looks to be the Port Austin Lighthouse...…my dad has a condo very close to downtown Port Austin. http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=172
  19. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Bryan,
    Odd F.Y.I. about Peoria's Cedar Street Bridge. It was built for sea going ships of the time. The idea was to be ready for the ST. Lawrence Sea Way; where ships would go down the St Lawrence River, then cross through Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, Lake Huron, Lake Michigan, down the Illinois, and finally down the Mississippi to New Orleans. All from the minds of men, just did not happen!

The Cedar Street Bridge carries Illinois Route 8 and Illinois Route 116 over the Illinois River. The bridge is a steel arch design that rises approximately 70 to 80 feet (24 m) above the surface of the river.

Completed in 1933, it received the Award of Merit plaque of the American Institute of Steel Construction as the most beautiful bridge in class A (costing more than $1,000,000) for that year.[3]
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The quote feature is not working right now so I'll reply manually.

davesupreme: Thanks! Those explorers back in the 1600s were some tough fellows heading off into the unknown, eh?

Flyboy52219: Thanks for the info on McMorran. I read the history on their web site. Pretty interesting!

Port Austin Reef light is what I had mapped. Thanks for the link.

I'm glad you are enjoying the report.

[​IMG]

Critic: That is interesting that they built that bridge in Peoria with big ships in mind. During WWII the government wanted the Manitowoc (WI) shipbuilding company to build some Destroyers. In the end, they built 28 submarines instead. The subs were transported from Lake Michigan via the Chicago Sanitary Canal and down the Illinois River to the Mississippi River and the Gulf of Mexico. Subs drew 15 feet and there was a 9 foot shoal on the Mississippi River so they had to put the subs on dry docks to transport via the rivers from the Great Lakes. By the way, sub building was new to Manitowoc but they knocked the first one out 228 days ahead of schedule. The 28th sub was delivered by the date required for the 10th sub according to the contract. At peak production they ran 7,000 employees with shifts that ran 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They produced 28 subs. Four were lost at sea. Manitowoc subs sunk 132 ships.
    [​IMG]