A CannonRide Around the Bend (Big Bend Region)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    My only experience was in the three camping locations I listed. I saw a lot of other sites in the backcountry that people might like. I'm sure others have recommendations to share. Except during peak times, I think you will have a lot of options you can take advantage of on the fly.
  2. KiloGraham

KiloGraham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More excellence which is very much appreciated.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  3. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope it is okay to revive an old dinosaur of a Ride Report. I have been researching the Big Bend area for a trip I have planned to that area in October. This Ride Report has pretty much overwhelmed my capacity to absorb information. It has taken me hours to get halfway through it.

I cannot thank Cannonshot enough for researching and then condensing all of this history and information. My trip will be soooo much better because of this excellent Ride Report.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm glad you are finding the report useful in you own planning for the trip. One of my goals when producing a ride report is to try to help out riders in planning trips of their own. I think digging out the regional historical stories can add a little color and entertainment to someone's visit there.

I hope you have a great trip and I'm looking forward to reading about it!
  5. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I did the KAT after reading your ride report of it. Being on a smaller bike I did things differently, but it was a good inspirational read!

I also plan on doing a Big Bend trip, though getting my riding buddy's schedule to line up with mine is the hardest part.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  6. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    I am a Planner, I always research the area thoroughly beforehand. I LOVE to share information with Pop as we are riding, he in turn benefits from a richer adventure. This also leads to us seeing POIs along the way that most folks never even know about.

This excellent RR has upset my planning. Before I read this I had no intention of getting into the State Park at all. Now I am re-routing.

I have an adobe house rented just NE of Terlingua for the second week of October. I will have 3 days to play while dragging my 73 year old Pop and a cousin-in-law/co-worker/friend/riding buddy along with me. This trip just went from a "We rode Big Bend" trip to a "Scouting Big Bend for the Real Trip Later" trip.

Of course Pop and I are not looking for anything challenging like King Kong hill, we will be the Harley Riders of the Dual Sport world.

And yes, I plan to do a decent Ride Report but it won't be as complete as this one. This is one of the few that I ever read that was better researched than one of my trips.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  7. njoytheride

njoytheride NJOYN' THE JOURNEY Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fact that this thread is still active after all these years is a testament to the excellent content. Spent months reading and reading again before our trip several years ago. Still check in every now and then to see the latest adventures.
    Thanks again Cannonshot.
    Oh ya... saw your sticker on the Oark General Store door. ( about 30 miles from my house) It would have been an honor to buy the burgers and pie.
    Oh ya ya.. congratulations on the AMA assignment. I know you will be a great representative. Njoytheride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cannonshot likes this.
  8. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond. Supporter

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
    One of the best written, most inspiring, motivational, and detailed RR I’ve read.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I guess that means you liked it. :D

There sure is a lot of interesting stuff to explore in that area and a lot of interesting stories to go with it all. Very much worth a visit!
  10. Ken Ackerson

Ken Ackerson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot, great RR, thanks! I read parts of it several years ago and wanted to make the trip out and tried October 2017 but rains and floods sent us up to Arkansas instead. Now I'm planning on leaving Florida on 11/3 for a 2 week trip out to Kerrville then on to BB. I'm riding with a 71 yr old guy on a BMW R1200RS and he's only pavement so I'll ride my S. Tenere but hope to bring my DR650 out sometime. We are not camping at all this trip so any lodging recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks again!
    cyclopathic and Cannonshot like this.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken. I don't have any lodging recommendations myself, but I'm sure some others can help out by answering here. Hope you have a great trip!
  12. wadethewanderer

Oddometer:
    Highland Inn, Alpine, TX.
  13. wadethewanderer

Oddometer:
    My Favorite: Indian Lodge, 16453 Park Rd 3, Fort Davis, TX 79734

Phone: (432) 426-3254
    Great riding in that area as well!
    Ken Ackerson likes this.
  14. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On 11/10 you'll find me at the Chisos Mining Company Motel in Study Butte, my go-to cheapo flop house which is more than adequate. Be sure to have your coffee and tortillas at The Chili Pepper Cafe.

The next day I check out and head for Mexico's Copper Canyon on the KTM 500.

Both of these are near the intersection of 170 & 118 in Study Butte, gateway to the western entrance to BBNP.
  15. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    I would make the argument for something in Terlingua. That puts you much closer to the National Park and allows you to spend more time along the Rio Grande. Better still split the trip up, stay in Alpine or Fort Davis for a couple nights and then in Terlingua for a couple nights.

I just returned from Terlingua where I rented a little vacation house for a few nights. It was Perfect for what we wanted.

See:https://advrider.com/f/threads/big-bend-beats-up-redfish.1345020/
    SkizzMan likes this.
  16. Ken Ackerson

Ken Ackerson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for your recommendations! I do want to split it up and stay in several areas. I like the thought of Terlingua or Chisos lodge in the park for a few night then Ft Davis for a few and maybe Marfa for a few before we head back.
    Ken
  17. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Whatever you decide to do in the region @Ken Ackerson , you've started your research with the absolute best ride report on the Big Bend region right here. It's widely understood that Cannonshot wrote the Magnum Opus on the subject. Now go and check out his other ride reports for more inspiration!
    Redfish Hunter likes this.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a good bike to take to the area! We went through earlier and had to opt out of several routes in BBNP and CC. Where are you going in CC?
  19. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  20. Ken Ackerson

Ken Ackerson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We'll be at the Chisos Mining Co Motel on the 8-10 then going to Ft Davis for a few more days so we'll see you in Terlingua!
    Tricepilot likes this.