A CannonRide Down the Great Divide (solo)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    mootsuno likes this.
  2. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    500,000 antelope. Seems like there are more out here. While I know that they are classified seperate from real antelope, that is what the FWP calls them for hunting permits. So whatever you call them, pronghorn, antelope or speed goats, don't run hit them on the road, it'll ruin your day of biking.

As always, thanks for the great ride report CS.

David
  3. wayno

wayno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rest my case sorry!:lol3 must have hit a nerve
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Nah, no nerve. :D I didn't get into the antelope too much this time because I had already covered it in another report. You'll see what I mean when I get to the Atlantic City area which I covered pretty thoroughly in the Pony Express report. Sometimes it is smoother to just reference some previous info for those that are interested in the detail.

Thanks for following along on the report!
  5. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    No, Wanyo, no worries. I just find it fun when people bring up that bit of triva.

David
  6. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Excellent Cannon, just superb my friend. Please continue.:clap :clap
  7. coop74

coop74 Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer:
    Are there sections you have ridden so far that when you look back and think that was not smart to be riding solo on?

Coop
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Only Fleecer Ridge so far.

When I ride solo I reset my risk management profile/meter to account for the circumstances. I take it easy and generally stay out in reasonably well trafficked areas. I sense when I am in a more remote stretch and take even more extra precautions during that period.

Granted there are some areas on this ride where there is not a lot of traffic, but in the areas I have ridden up to this point in the report riding solo is not a serious risk at all.

I use the SPOT tracker as a tool for people to keep track of me but do not rely on it. Depending on terrain and cover, it may not get a signal out in the specific location where you need it to. However, people that monitor your progress can see where you last were so in the event you dropped out of sight satellite and contact wise, people would know where to start looking for you. I also have a buddy with solid GPS skills who has and understands my track file who keeps an eye on my satellite tracking.

Hazards? Traffic accident with another vehicle or object. Running off the road over a steep bank. Breaking down and not being prepared for it. Hopping a challenging log when you should probably go around since you are alone. Not being bear aware.

Riding alone is great - in fact for some it is their preference. I like both group and solo riding. Riding solo is ultra-relaxed as the only expectations to meet are your own (and you have no drama to deal with). If I want to turn around and look at some animal tracks, take a picture, or look at something of interest to me, I am not interrupting the tempo of a riding partner's ride.

Being retired, riding alone is often the case since most other riders I know have jobs and and we don't share the same schedule.

Obviously, you must be confident that you can do the mechanical maintenance and repair tasks you need to accomplish to keep your bike in the game (including field expedients).

Riding solo also means you have to carry more stuff as you can't split the load of common items between riders.

If someone is wondering about riding this alone I would say go for it! It is not nearly as daunting as one might think.
    f800kris likes this.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Too many roads have soft spots when wet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tie hacks were paid 12 cents a tie in 1913.
    [​IMG]

In the 1930s, they were making 30 cents for hacking a tie.
    [​IMG]

Ties were cut in the winter and floated in the spring.
    [​IMG]

By WWII, hacks were getting 50 cents a tie. So if an efficient hacker cut 50 ties in a day (wow!) he earned $25. Big money at the time.
    [​IMG]

Pinedale started up in 1904 with two landowners and a merchant. Each landowner doanted five acres and in the beginning gave away free lots to get things started. It all worked out.
    [​IMG]

Pinedale ahs the mountain man museum. Exhibits are about trappers and indians and such.
    [​IMG]
    RememberTheFallen and Effendi like this.
  10. Tee2

Tee2 I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer:
    Great RR Canon.

I'm heading to Colorado next week. Can't wait!:wings

How do you keep track of all the info and pictures during the trip? Do you take notes during the day on paper or do a journal at the end of the day?

I would like to do a RR but it would be nothing compaired to yours.

Thank,
    Todd
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    First off don't worry about comparing ride reports to someone elses. Matters little. People read what they are interested in. I'll be looking forward to reading yours after your trip!

I don't take many notes. If I want to record some information I don't already have, I take a photo of the text and extract the info later. I put pictures into folders sorted by the day they were taken and work through them in segments as I do the report. I take a lot of pictures but only use a portion of them.

I am retired so I have some time to spend during the Wisconsin winters doing research about places I might like to go. This is entertainment - kind of like reading good books. In fact, by spring I usualy have 2-3 rides researched and ready to pull the trigger on during the riding season.

In a case like this one, I take a look at the route and search out anything interesting that might be proximate. I waypoint it and then go to work organizing the ride.

First step is to develop a matrix of relevant information. I put in clickable links that go to web sites that contain more detail that I can reference later.

[​IMG]

Once I have that put together and sorted out to a near final trip, I go to work preparing a document with relevant information about the historical stuff. I get this from books and web sites. In this case I had about a 75 page narrative of historical stuff that I could read as I went to places along the way. This allows me to enjoy rich information about places I visit - often more detailed than what I would find on site. Makes for a better experience for me.

When I go the write the ride report, I have to cook down long stories in my reference narrative to a couple of brief sentences that tell enough of the story (along with what the picture tells) to be (hopefully) interesting and entertaining. I don't try to tell a complete story, just enough to cover the point.

The research is very entertaining to me. The ride is excellent because of the motorcycling and going to the places where something interesting happened. The ride report is usually a lot of work that takes a lot of time. About halfway through I start wishing it was complete (some others probably do too :lol3 ). I appreciate the reports that others do that are helpful and interesting to me and others so I stay with it to try to give something back or help out the next guy that might want to make the trip.

Hope that helps you. I'm not recommending that people go to the trouble that I do as it could be a lot of work - if it wasn't entertainment for me.
  12. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It turns into a great read for people like me for whom this kind of information resonates. Thanks for writing it up! :lurk
  13. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    I've read since I became an inmate. Just FANTABULOUS!:wings :rayof :rilla
  14. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Me too, love the detail that I didn't have time to find when I was out there. :thumb

Great report, Cannon!!

Back to... :lurk
  15. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Actually on a Mac you can just click command, shift, 4. This allows you to crop the pic first, no editor needed. Then right click on the image change file type to jpg. Youre done!

Great ride report!!!! Makes me want to research the places more often, starting with where I live. Thanks for taking us along:thumb
  16. busdriver803

busdriver803 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap I am enjoying your report and am in awe of the research and details that you have been able to provide. I find myself going to my computer first thing in the morning and last thing at night just to see if there are any new posts from you. This ride is on my to do list and your report is providing a lot of good information and help in my trip planning.
  17. captcham

captcham Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interested to see your next gas stop from Pinedale, we are planning on heading out of Salida on the 15th and our planning shows your next leg going south the longest without gas. We are looking at side tracking to Lander, curious what your plan is, also what's your range on a tank? Cheers and keep it coming.
  18. MikeBike4

MikeBike4 Hacked

Oddometer:

:bow
  19. _vortex_

_vortex_ snow snow snow :(

Oddometer:
    Free and vastly better than the paint that comes with windows: http://www.getpaint.net/
  20. wayno

wayno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: