1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

A CannonRide Down the Great Divide (solo)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Hardroad

Hardroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your sticker on windshield of Motorcycle. Is that the same old Camp McCoy we went to for our National Guard Two week Camp?
    Hardroad
  2. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:

:stupid

R.E.S.P.E.C.T!
  3. Clockwatcher

Clockwatcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Cannonshot....Great RR , of course this means that I have to add this to the "bucket list". Planning to retire next year just so I can get started....:wink:
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Boulder 12 miles south of Pinedale and also Farson west of South Pass City. Also fuel sometimes available in Atlantic City in cans.

Please Continue CT ! :clap
  5. wayno

wayno Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I'm starting to go thru withdrawl:ear
  6. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The scenery changes a bit from the lush mountains of Montana to this arid area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

South Pass City
    [​IMG]

The Carissa mine and mill.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much of the Carissa facility is being restored by the State of Wyoming for an exhibit.
    [​IMG]

South Pass City back in the 1870s.
    [​IMG]

More details and pictures about South Pass City are covered in this single post from my Pony Express ride report.

Atlantic City is nearby.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Atlantic City in the 1870s.
    [​IMG]

More detail and pictures from Atlantic City are in this single post from my Pony Express ride report.
  7. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some times I think I was born in the wrong century!:lurk

:*sip*
  8. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    So do I, then I realize that I am a few months away from Forty, and that a century or so ago, I would effectively be an old man virtually past my prime!:lol3

That, and they didn't have motorcycles to enjoy the area!:wink:
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    This is the second component of that long strech without fuel. There is fuel 12 miles south of Pinedale in Boulder, so that reduces the Pinedale to Rawlins run to around 210 miles. My KLR would normally handle this distance handily on the fuel in the tank. However, this is not a nice smooth highway ride. It is winding, runs up and down hills, involves pushing gravel, and requires you to slow down for antelope frequently enough to make a difference in your fuel consumption.
    [​IMG]

This country is pretty desolate. There are some oil wells in the area, but I don't know how often they are tended or how much vehicle traffic they generate.
    [​IMG]

My recommendation would be to pick up a small gallon (1 1/3 gal) gas can a couple of towns out from this crossing. I say a couple of towns out because there may not be one available when and where you want to get it so best to get it when you can. Fill it right before the crossing and then ride about 50-60 miles and then dump the gas into the tank (no one really wants to drive gas around in a plastic can). Rather that haul the can around, pass it on to another rider.
    [​IMG]

I have gotten gas at Muddy Gap, Lander, and Farson before.

As rugged as the terrain looks in the aerial imagery, it is really kind of scenic on the ground.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The BLM manages wild horses in this area. The horses are descendents of the mustangs that Spanish explorers brought over that escaped and formed wild herds. Once the indians figured out how to capture them and use them, the increased mobility changed their lives dramatically. Since many people moving west relied on horses, these wild horses were attractive as remounts.
    [​IMG]

The management of wild horses is often a subject of controversy. Some people object to rounding them up. The BLM points out that the range only has limited resources for which all species compete and horses, who have no natural predators in the area, need management at the hand of man.
    [​IMG]

Today's wild horses are more likely descendants of ranch stock that has escaped or was turned loose over the years.
    [​IMG]

One point of controversy is whether the government should keep horses that they round up in feed lots or should they be allowed to slaughter them instead. There is an adoption program.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wide open spaces can be lonely sometimes.
    [​IMG]

Mud issues when wet.
    [​IMG]

I was seeing antelope all over the place. Lots of females with two large fawns. The adults were pretty predictable as to the route of their flight, but the young ones were not.

I came across a lone elk.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually gravel turns to pavement. Just as isolated though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have to keep an eye on these pesky storms as being caught in the mud could cause you to have to camp for a bit until things dried out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    billmaxx97 likes this.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I kind of felt the same way until I read that book on frontier medicine. Scared me back to this century. :lol3
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Hope I covered this for you in the previous post.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoy this kind of stuff!

Thanks. Great that you enjoy it!

Hope it makes for a richer trip for the next guy. Thanks.

Thanks. I think there are a lot of great stories that can be told history-wise on some local rides. It would be great to see more people sharing some of that.

I have to apologize for keeping you waiting over the past few days. I to attend a meeting related to motorcycle trails in WI and then was off to a weekend rally of motorcyclists. Hope the info in this report serves you well.

Thanks Mike!

Fort McCoy is a base in Wisconsin that is a training facility for reserve and active components of probably all of the branches of service. The winters and european terrain have been uniquely useful to some. In recent years it has served as a power projection platform for units heading off to war.

Thanks Shaggie! Glad you are still enjoying it.

Hope the ride report helps!

Sorry for the delay. :shog
  13. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Wow, what an epic! Pretty much spent the whole morning reading the RR and following along with the tracks from when I did it. I'm having a great time reliving our 2007 trip vicariously through you:D The research and great pictures you put into these reports is simply stunning:clap Glad my information was of some small help.

Just one minor clarification regarding Lava Mountain: The carnage/rocky stuff you linked to back on post #92 on page 7 was actually after we took the wrong turn at the FR 1878 - FR 1878 D-1 separation (marked by the circled "i" near the red "X" on your map shot) and headed southeast along Quartz Creek. We had intended to head back to the west to rejoin the route (we would have taken a road which follows the stream that heads west from the intersection just below the letter "r" in "Quartz") Then we ran into a group of locals who said the way back up to the west was even more difficult. We ended up bailing east to I-15. So - we never did do the section that you bypassed.
    After reading this back I see I'm doing as good of a job explaining it as I did when I pm'd you:huh :lol3
    [​IMG]
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for contributing some more detail to the information on the route! Your pix/video have already been helpful to many. Here is an enlargement of the area you are talking about to make things clearer.
    [​IMG]
  15. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might have to agree on last century’s medical care.

These 2 syringes (top right corner) were used to cure the ills of constipation up until the mid 1800's. Normally self administered, by "sit on it and pump". Thanks, but no thanks.

Lewis and Clark took one of these on their Trail. Clark was elected to administer these syringes on more than one occasion. Even infant Jean Baptiste was a recipient at 1 1/2 yrs old, in Idaho.:puke1

[​IMG]

Saws, knives, etc above were used for amputation of broken limbs. Drillbit in center used to relieve pressure on the brain if someone was kicked in the head by a horse or butt of a gun. All of these tools were in use from 1790 to 1850.

16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Notable Union Pacific Railroad depot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Territorial Prison from days gone by.
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the big house.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perhaps this is a good time to tell about Big Nose George who used to live here. His gang tried to knock off a train in 1878. A Deputy Sheriff and a Railroad Detective were assigned to track him down. They followed the gang to Rattlesnake Canyon. A gang lookout saw them coming and the gang stamped out their fire and hid in the bushes. Just as the two cops realized the coals were still hot, they were ambushed and killed. George later got captured. When he tried to escape from the local jail, people got irritated and a lynch mob of 200 snatched him from the jail and hung him from a telegraph pole. Two local doctors did an autopsy. They crudely cut off the top of George's skull to study his brain for "criminality". They gave the skull cap to a 15 year old girl (their assistant) who later became the first female physician in Wyoming. She used the skull for an ashtray, door stop, and pen holder. If that is not creepy enough, one of the doctors collected skin from George, sent it to a tannery, and had shoes and a medical bag made from it. He wore the shoes to his inauguration when he later became Governor. The rest of George's remains were kept in a barrel for a while for further study. Too creepy.
    [​IMG]

Some other notables from Rawlins include:
    Larry Wilcox - co-star of CHiPs (grew up here).
    Russ Leatherman - voice of Moviefone (often paraodied on a wide variety of shows)
    Mike Lansing - ball player for Expos, Rockies, Boston RS

Nearby Sinclair started as a company town that sprang up as a result of the oil business.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put together as a complete community.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Town square.
    [​IMG]

I think this was probably the company offices at one time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huh, no big dinosaurs looming over Sinclair's town? Odd... :lol3

[​IMG]
  18. Tee2

Tee2 I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer:
    We did a family trip out to Colorado two years ago and my daughter wanted to stop at every Sinclair that had a dino she could get a picture by. I think it was like 10-11 places. It seemed like it turned into the purpose or the trip. :lol3

And the funny thing she was in high school!:eek1
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I've got to put this report on hold for a while.

What has been happening in the background is that my bike started burning a lot of oil. A LOT of oil.

By the time I made this last crossing from Pindedale to Rawlins I was more concerned about the oil consumption than the fuel. :lol3

I had to make a choice between continuing to run by pouring oil in the bike, even between gas stops, or trying to nurse it home for a repair.

I wasn't sure whether the problem would get worse or not. Continuing on would have taken me further from my home base making recovery in the event of a failure much more difficult. Not much fun to ride waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Needless to say I was pretty unhappy.

I did manage to nurse the bike home by taking two lane highways and keeping the speed and rpm down. By the time I got back, an oil consumption test indicated it was burning even more oil than it had been.

The good news is that the bike is being repaired under warranty. The bad news is that I still don't have it back.

I don't want to start a big side discussion on bike problems. Just giving my experience that may be relevant to others who find themselves in the same situation.

My plan now is to get my repaired bike back (in process), break it in, and then haul it back to Rawlins on my van. Once there I will finish this wonderful route and document the trail as I have been. Under this scenario I get the chance to turn around at the border and ride back north to Rawlins exploring some related alternate routes which will result in more complete documentation of the trail.

I made some commitments to the Central ADV Rally (put on a GPS class, and I also provide road and DS GPS tracks/routes) so my plan is to get back on the trail right after that (first week in September).

I guess I need to find a place in or around Rawlins to stash my van while I wrap up this ride. Perhaps someone could help me out on this.

I have been giving some thought about having another rider or two join up for the final segment.

Thanks so much for following along. I'll pick up the detailed report again once I wrap things up. My goal is to have a fairly detailed record of the entire route which while hopefully serve as another reference for others to use.
  20. wayno

wayno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your probs...patiently waiting:thumb