A CannonRide Down the Great Divide (solo)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Serp

Serp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to know, thanks. Right now, we are planning on south to north. Re: Del Norte airport - looking at Google Earth the route appears to cross one of the runways!
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Slight change there since they made some improvements at Del Norte. You will easily adapt to it on the ground when you get there. No problem at all.
  3. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:

HA!
    yes it does go across the runway!
    one of the mechanics came running out waving his arms when I started riding across it.

[​IMG]
  4. tribune

tribune n00b

Oddometer:
    Myself and a coworker just finished the CDR starting from Cranbrook, BC to Mexico then heading north back to Cranbrook, picked up all the BDR tracks we could heading our direction but had to pass on any of the big east-west loops because of time. Three weeks total and 8400 KM all on the same TKC80's (ya, they were shot). Many thanks to Cannonshot for the tracks. Just over nine days to Mexico, no rain anywhere and no mechanical on the way down. Lost the stator on my green drz 200 miles south of Moab in a rainstorm in the middle of nowhere. My partner on an older KLR pulled out his battery and we rigged it to my ride, put my battery in the KLR and bumped it. Got it to Moab where we had parts waiting. HIgh praise for Chad at Mad Bro Motorsports in Moab. He dropped everything and spend tons of time sourcing parts and helping out with workspace and tools to get us back on the road quickly. Chris the mechanic was really helpful too.
    Stunning scenery with the trees turned and every imaginable road surface to keep it interesting. Had a few get offs but nothing serious. Most while stopped due to 29" legs and 33" seat. Do it!
    IMAG0005.JPG
  5. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    Reviving this as I'm in the early planning stages of the CD ride, going from North to South, early to mid July 2016.........on a GS.
    Thanks for the resources and the tracks CS!
    ADVwxyz and Cannonshot like this.
  6. Moto Jimmy

Moto Jimmy Bushwacker

Oddometer:
    Me too but I'm planning for August on a Tenere. This thread has been most useful and my inspiration!
    ADVwxyz, KTM Mike and Cannonshot like this.
  7. Frank.Wagner

Frank.Wagner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful trip and thanks for all information and pictures :)

Short question - which maps (paper) are the best for this trip and where are can buy it ?
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Some people use the Adventure Cycling Association map set because it has a lot of information printed in the margins.

If you are using the GPS, some paper maps to have on hand (though they might not be used) are some of the folding recreation maps various people publish for the states you pass through. I don't know if there is a "best" map but many people are pretty satisfied with some of the Benchmark map products for this kind of thing. You would want the folding rec maps and not the atlases.
  9. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Benchmark maps rock! De Lorme... not so much. Just copy the pages you need and highlight your route and that all saves bulk. I numbered those page copies in the order I would need them and it worked really well. Even put up some of Bryan's detours in different color so we could do some of his side trips. Watch out for Fleecer and Lava. Just saying. Do the Gravely Range extra credit from inmate BYWAYS. Tony will tell you all about that one and it's well worth it.
    ADVwxyz likes this.
  10. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    Good info to know. After researching a bit I'm apprehensive about the trip on the piggy GS. Not really concerned about the gravel and smoother non pavement sections but the rock strewn hilly stuff I'll have to by pass. Going solo I have to be very conscious of any hazardous sections.

Question CS, you have an awesome route but if there is a section I want to bypass, like one of the out and back phot op tracks, how do I delete that portion of the route? I'm using Base Camp to view the route. Thanks
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Editing is pretty easy but more complex than what can be covered here. The easiest thing is to just ignore the tracks you don't want. Otherwise, if you PM me with what you want to skip I can quickly edit that out and send you a file without those tracks.
  12. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    Thank you
  13. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motoboss - FWIW, I have ridden from Banff to Steamboat Lake two up with my wife as pillion on a Vstrom 1000 (without any accompanying other bikes along with us). With a few minor exceptions (primarily due to weather, or roads closed due to bridge repairs at the time), we have followed Cannonshot's tracks the entire way. We did bypass Fleecers Ridge - much to steep (and I did see mention it was now closed to motorized vehicles?) . The key is to slow down and pick your lines carefully. Yeah, some bits are rough and rocky, and steep Some good examples are going up to the fire tower west of Helena (easy to by pass) and the approach to Chessman Reservoir (take the tracks into Helena proper instead) and other spots. The mud can get to be a gloppy mess if you in certain areas after a rain. Of course it all depends on your own comfort/skill level, but it is doable. Dont push your personal limits to far.

Cannonshot's tracks are a fantastic resource. I also second his recommendation of the Adventure Cycling Association maps. They include a bunch of very helpful additional info and are a great planning tool. Their book is also helpful (but less so I think than the maps).

We will be finishing off the ride from Steamboat Lake to the Mexican border late August or early September of next year. We are really looking forward to it!
    Moto Jimmy, MotoBoss and Cannonshot like this.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I hadn't heard anything about a closure on the drop on Fleecer. I went to the Beaverhead - Deerlodge NF web site to see what the current MVUM said. The closest I got to a definitive answer was in what they have posted as their current visitor map (in lieu of the usual style MVUM for that area) that shows restrictions. For the drop they show it is closed to 4WD yearlong but open to motorcycles, ATVs, and snowmobiles without restriction. I think it has been that way for years. If there has been a recent change that restricts motorcycles that is not yet documented on the official maps they have posted on their web site, we need to run down a source so that people know for certain what the status is.
  15. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the thread where I saw mention of that. I also vaguely recall seeing another mention on ADV, and a picture with a closure sign. I will see if I can find it. Perhaps it was a temporary closure as HighFive mentioned?

16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I'll call out there next week and see what is going on. People will want to know for sure if something has changed - especially since this is one of the "hot spots" along the route. :D
    KTM Mike likes this.
  17. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for putting in the work to post this! Planning a trip this summer and this really helps and is very inspiring. I can also take less pictures and just refer people to this thread!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    As promised, I called the Butte District to specifically inquire about whether the drop coming off Fleecer Mountain was now closed to motor vehicles.

There has been no change from the past. The table (remark 18 in a square box) that shows that the drop is closed to jeeps and open to motorcycles, ATVs, and snowmobiles is still in effect. The are signs along there that depict a jeep with a red slash on it indicating that the short section of the path on the drop is closed to jeeps.

During hunting season (Oct 15 to Dec 2) the path is closed but I don't think this is an issue for GDR riders.

I asked whether the visitor map posted to their map/MVUM page was current and was assured it was - although the map for this area is of poor quality when trying to use it on the web.

However, there could be a temporary closure on any road at any time so users must abide by any signage they encounter along the way. Often this has to do with forest fires.

Photo I took of a sign at the bottom of Fleecer. Since icons for other allowable uses are not depicted on the sign (motorcycles, ATVs, and snowmobilers) it can be kind of confusing - especially with the remark directing motorized users to stay on designated open routes. It would be easy for someone to read into this that the path was closed to all motorized. It is not the best sign and I had to ponder it a little myself when I saw it.
    [​IMG]

Permanent signs are not always accurate. Sometimes the forest service gets it wrong. Had a problem like that here in Wisconsin that I took on and fixed. Always best to refer to the current Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) for the property.
    [​IMG]
    KTM Mike and HardWorkingDog like this.
  19. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    C/S thanks for following up on that. I wonder what it was High Five had seen that prompted his comment on that other thread...perhaps a sign was misread. Regardless, now we know!
  20. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Planning a Northbound GCD ride for July on a GS Adventure, 2 F800GS and a 990 Adventure. This thread has been great to start our planning. Thanks!