A CannonRide Down the Great Divide (solo)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 23, 2010.

1. richnyc

richnyc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a trip!!! Amazing travelogue... Brings back memories;) I did GDR twice, partially, and on a bicycle, in '07 and '09, from Banff, AB to Salida, CO, putting in 100 miles days. Loved every second of it. I knew there and then that I will return one day and re-do this trip on a motorbike and make my way all the way to Antelope Wells in NM. Your pictures and stories make it only harder to resist any longer. Thanks for that;) Either this year, if I decide to just wing it, as I have about 4-5 weeks free in July and August.... Or, in summer of '17, if not.

Thanks Cannonshot for a SUPER AWESOME epic trip report!!!

On the top of the Boreas Pass above Breckenridge, CO in '09:
    4048208789_7e1e3f3dfd_o.jpg
    Halen and Cannonshot like this.
  2. Helmsman

Helmsman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant write up, spent the last several nights reading it. Am in the real tentative stage of planning doing this trip with a friend or two. Probably be a couple years before we have time, but now I am really anxious to do it.

Thought I recognized Chris in the pics, put 2 and 2 together and realized I knew and road with him a few times years ago on street rides. Good dude!

Thanks for the detailed write up, booked marked it and plan on referencing it often!
  3. Fire44

Fire44 Old, Slow and Tired

Oddometer:
    Wrong thread.
  4. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm glad you found it useful. I tried to write it to help others plan a trip of their own. Looking forward to reading about your own experience once you complete your trip!
    scarysharkface likes this.
  5. Zapb

Zapb alidue cupido

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that wonderful Ride Report. Nice pictures and interesting facts.
    Saved my cold and rainy morning :)
    Cannonshot likes this.
  6. out rider

out rider You Go First

Oddometer:
    Just finished and do appreciate all that you put into this. You have a real talent and love for what you do with these reports.
    Thank You!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  7. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    As if one more attaboy is needed, but seriously this is the gold standard of trip reports...and a wonderfully informative "how to" as well.

I do have a question. I'm planning on catching the CDR west of Denver and riding it south to the Mexico border. I was hoping to do the trip in the first week of June but I'm concerned about the weather that time of year in the higher elevations. Any thoughts on that or has anyone done that portion of the trip in early summer? I'm combining this ride with a tour of the southern NM/AZ area anyway, so if portions of the CDR are no-go it won't stop me, I'll find a way around, just wondering.
  8. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    Het Cannonshot I have a question.........Can this be done in a Jeep or is it designed only for motorcycles and bicycles?

I had planned on doing it this year but being self employed it just didn't work out this year. I have been putting together my Jeep Cherokee and the Wife would like to go along, as well as the mutt. I really would prefer motorcycle travel but thought doing it in the Jeep, taking along all the necessary luxury camping equipment, would be a great vacation for the Wife and I.

Your thoughts?
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thank you all so much for your nice comments. I'm glad you found it entertaining and I hope you get a chance to experience it for yourself.

Regarding the jeep, yes you can do it with no problem. Jeeps are not allowed on Fleecer Ridge because it would surely lead to an ugly rollover. There are a few other segments that will not be open to jeeps but there are go-arounds available.

Edit: I missed the part about early June. Thanks guavadude for catching that. June can be a problem and opening dates can vary from year to year based on the weather that season.

http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/when-do-the-colorado-jeep-trails-open.73635/
  10. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert but some of the passes in CO aren't open in early June. You might check the 4x4 forums and google for previous year's conditions.
  11. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    Thank you Cannon,
    Cannonshot likes this.
  12. Lake_Bueller

Lake_Bueller Own ALL the Corners

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to do this ride in the summer of 2017. Fingers crossed that my riding partner doesn't change his mind:hmmmmm
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    No worries. You can easily do it solo without too much risk and you'll have a fabulous time.
    eddyturn likes this.
  14. Masterblaster

Masterblaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    i am gonna do this this year.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  15. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will enjoy it! Fun ride.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Go solo if you need to. I enjoyed this path so much I've been thinking about putting together a few folks who haven't ridden it yet and riding it again myself. :D
  17. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I'm going over the tracks from last summer and working on a ride report. Pretty sure I'm going again this summer too! Just go, ride whatever, bicycle if you have to, (kidding, I don't know how those guys do that). Enjoy these wide open American spaces while we still have access to them.
    spaceman_spiff and outbacktm like this.
  18. avkan

avkan jester

Oddometer:
    VERY NICE THANK YOU :super
    Cannonshot likes this.
  19. gr8grins

gr8grins Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi CS,
    Thank you for the great writeup. I plan to do the ride this Summer. The CannonLoaderR2 file from the link on your first post comes across as a Mime attachment and I can't open it. The others work like a charm. Any idea how I might go about fixing my process?
    Thanks,
    Brad
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Hi Brad. I just tried the download for R2 and found that it worked just fine. If it isn't working for you, don't worry about it as R3 is the one that you want to ride since it is a more recent version than R2.