A CannonRide Down the Great Divide (solo)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 23, 2010.

1. gr8grins

gr8grins Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Right on CS, I really appreciate your efforts.
    Thank you
  2. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    Planning on ridding the 1st of August on a R80G/S.....Solo...S to North....will try and avoid any rough sections....from what I've read this should be very doable.

Thanks for the GPS coordinates and info, I'll be using Either CS or Big Dogs GPS coordinates. Made notes of rocky and/or steep rocky and deep water areas of concern
    Cannonshot likes this.
  3. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey One Less! My wife and I met you at Flagg Ranch in 2015 as we were riding the CDR. Im glad to hear you plan on riding it. We did Banff to Steamboat on a Vstrom two up- so you will do fine on that classic R80. We did Steamboat to Antelope Wells on a KTM 990 but nothing our Vstrom could not have done. Though the mud in New Mexico was horrible.
    One Less Harley likes this.
  4. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I remember you...was going through CDR rides and saw your thread, and was good to read about your trip....I've spent some time looking over reports to see where the sketchy areas are which I might want to avoid. I'm looking forward to the ride....it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, i work for GM and we are having a plant shutdown for 12-15 weeks for retooling..so what is one to do??????? I have no desire to go South of Antelope, but it's a good start and depending on how I feel I really want to see Banff!!! Looks beautiful in photos.... I assume I can cross into Canada with just a passport??? Now sure if any special documentation is needed for the motorcycle...insurance papers, Title/ registration???

My problem out at higher elevations was MPG..it dropped to 30 mpg...I will bring smaller jets. It's jetted for 500 ft elevation....performance also suffered at over 8,000

IF I find mud I will reroute!!!!
    KTM Mike likes this.
  5. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You can browse information on this site for border crossing into Canada. Hope you have a great trip!
  6. DrydenRider

DrydenRider Sun Seeker

Oddometer:
    I would always travel with my bike documentation but crossing the border should be pretty straight forward with a passport and a clean record. You may have trouble if you admit to a criminal record including a DUI even from many years ago. Question "have you ever been finger printed?" Answer is always NO
    Also NO HANDGUNS (very few of us own one) and if you bring a rifle (we have lots of those) make sure you read the rules about importing that.
  7. Serp

Serp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    no pepper spray either.
  8. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had no issues in and out of Canada with only an enhanced drivers license (Michigan).

As to pepper spray..what I found in researching that topic was the small pocket sized ones are not legal as can be concealed and hence used as an offensive weapon. But the larger ones would be OK. We carried a large one deep in tail bag when crossing border ...they never remotely asked other than do have weapons...answer no.

On topic of ever finger printed...I've never been asked that. I have been finger printed due to working in the medical field. I likely would be honest and say yes but explain why.

One less Harley...as I recall your bike had a huge tank. I'm guessing 7 or more gallons. Staying on route the longest stretch without gas is 230 miles or so . Even at 30 mpg if you carry a rotopak or similar you will be fine. Plus you can break off route to get gas in that stretch around 135 ish miles I believe and head down to Farson or up to Lander Wyoming and get gas.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
  9. Malthound

Malthound Whiskey + Amazon = Bike toys

Oddometer:
    I hope this isn't a hijack here, not my intent, but while crossing into Canada is easy and straightforward for most people, I'd like to offer a little personal experience. CS, please feel free to delete if this is out of place, but I'd hate to see someone go to all the planning required for the trip to just be turned around at the border.
    Canada and the U.S. share criminal databases, so if you've ever been arrested here in the U.S., Canada can see it if they choose to check. I was stopped at customs in Ottawa while traveling there for work, and they did a random check and asked me if I'd "ever been in trouble", which on it's face was vague and I guess I didn't understand what he was getting at. Anyway, I had gotten a DUI about 8 years before that and didn't even think to bring it up. Guess what. Not only did they know, it pissed them off that I was "lying". I was summarily turned around and put on the next flight home. According to their consulate, if you have only one offense, and it is more than 10 years in the past AFTER probation, etc. you will likely be allowed in. It's not automatic though and may require you to bring court docs. The link CS shared above is helpful, but it's also difficult to get through to anyone who can give definitive answers. Moral of the story, be careful going into Canada if you have any history with the law.
    KTM Mike, Cannonshot and PYG RYDR like this.
  10. Serp

Oddometer:
    When my buddy I came back to Canada from our WBCDR ride last year, they asked each of us individually if we had any pepper spray.
  11. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Did any of you have pepper spray? Curious if they are indeed making a distinction between a concealed pocket size vs. a bear repellent large version.

I know my son rode into Canada 2 years ago with a large bear spray canister attached to the outside mesh pocket of his backpack (i.e., very visible) and he was welcomed with open arms by Canadian border officers.
  12. Serp

Oddometer:
    We didn't have any, so it didn't go any further with me (but they did go completely through my friends gear based on what they typically call a "random check").

I just had a look and the official line is ".... prohibited from entering Canada - mace or pepper spray designed for use on humans", as per the following link to Canadian Border Services Website:
    http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html
    so I guess it's okay as long as it's obviously meant to be used as a bear deterrent.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  13. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you both Canadians returning home? Not sure it should matter though.

I wonder if point of entry matters? We entered at Sault Ste. Marie Ontario coming from Michigan...not exactly big Bear prone. It was at start of trip so certainly would not appear we just came out of grizzly country. Plus I suspect when you are two up with pretty wife as pillion they may assume lower risk?

Also the formula for pepper spray for people is different than what is allowed in US for bears. I would answer " no but I have bear spray". It even has a picture of a bear on it. Might be pushing your luck though.

Perhaps my wife and I got lucky. I do however recall reading on the Canadian customs website it drawing a distinction between those pocket sized people spray vs big Bear spray.

14. Serp

Oddometer:
    My wife and I have travelled across the border several times a year on our motorcycles with our enhanced drivers licence.
    But now we're using our (Passports and) Nexus Pass that we got last year. This involved getting finger printed on all 10 fingers - so if they were ever to ask about finger printing (which they never have) we would answer yes.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  15. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Serp I see you found that customs info I mentioned. I was starting to wonder if I was making it all up! Thanks.
    I feel better now!

Serp likes this.
  16. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled across this thread! I need to do a thorough read-through, I'll be doing part of the TCAT and Part of the CDR!
    Hopefully those gpx's are still available online!

-cFogs
    Cannonshot likes this.
  17. PapaWolf

PapaWolf When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Oddometer:
    Great RR! I started reading through it, and by the time I got a few pages in, someone recommended that I use the Cannonshot tracks and info for my trip instead of other tracks (no offense to other great riders who put the time in to create tracks to share!). So, I am going to start over with reading the ride report and this time follow along and prep the CS tracks for my use.

I am having a bit of a hard time figuring out what some of these abbreviations are. @Cannonshot, I am wondering about the following:
    - CD
    - Cp (ie, CpBannack)

Thanks in advance, and here I go!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  18. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Not sure about CD, possibly Continental Divide, showing when you cross it. Cp is CampBannack.
    PapaWolf and Cannonshot like this.
  19. PapaWolf

PapaWolf When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Oddometer:
    Ah CD makes sense, and so does Cp. Thanks, guys!

Cannonshot likes this.
  20. LodiHal

LodiHal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bumping this because it deserves it. And I’m thinking about doing part of this ride.

Thanks cannonshot!