A CannonRide Down the Great Divide (solo)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 23, 2010.

1. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed American Anti-FAscist born and raised. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Circling Sagittarius A* in spaceship Baltimore
    I got to take this photo because @Cannonshot R3Loader mentioned the marker. :D
    When I read it on my crappy gps, I turned around.... We all got photos at the marker. :D Cannonshot changed my life for the better in other ways too.
    DSCN1064.JPG
  2. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    Agreed! I did the ride several years ago, and it was this thread that provided the most info.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  3. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep this thread got my wife and I here:

7 2014 Wyoming Vacation pics card 2 140.JPG

As well as here: (both of these technically off the CDR proper, but such great bits of history so close, we could not pass them up!) This one is of Parting of the Ways, (the real spot, not the marker out on the highway).

7 2014 Wyoming Vacation pics card 2 162.JPG
  4. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The reason I put the work into these threads is to try to encourage more people to experience these things for themselves. Very nice to hear it helped some others find the joy I did on this ride. Thank you!
  5. RedRover_CO

RedRover_CO Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love it when people take a really good camera and tell stories about where they go. Doesn't satisfy my urge to explore, but rather fans the flames. :) On another note, I hadn't noticed when the OP was written until I saw the Fort McHood stickers on the bike windshield. Had to be pre-9/11, before the gate guards stopped waving cars through and everyone had to present an ID. Wow how things have changed, I had forgotten about those decals. @Cannonshot--I rode through Frank and over Crowsnest Pass on my way to the Arctic Circle last year, but didn't have the time to stop and appreciate the finer details. I'm only semi-retired from the Air Force--still have a full time contractor job that made us press the pace. Thanks for the pics, maps and report.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  6. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    Thanks again. I used some of his stuff for a ride last August. Ride About for 1,800 miles in Wyoming
    Cannonshot likes this.
  7. Tx/Maine

Tx/Maine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you seems a bit lite but I don’t know a better word to use. Thank You !

As I read thru these pages I cannot help but get inspired to make a run North, from Texas. It will take me a bit to get the bike (2014KLR) dialed in for the adventure but I’m determined to do it....

***just curious, where did you sleep on the trip, tent or hotels? Sorry if you have gone over that, I’m only on page 5.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Both. Depending on cirumstances/weather/etc.
    outbacktm likes this.
  9. ridemtra

ridemtra single track

Oddometer:
    What bike is preferred a 450 dual sport or 990 adventure for the gdr
  10. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    450 if you are wanting to ride the more challenging routes, travel with less gear, ride less miles each day.

990 if you are staying with blue and green routes, carrying more gear and traveling longer distances in less time. And if you have someone to help pick the bike up.

I felt my DR650 was just about right but I was doing a longer ride and lots of miles each day.
    decodent likes this.
  11. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    A point of clarification seems fitting here. The references to blue, red and green routes likely is referring to GPS Kevin's tracks. This thread was about Cannonshots tracks. My understanding is Kevin's is in large part based on Cannonshots, but does clearly differ. What you see in Cannonshots pics here may or may not be the same if you don't follow his tracks.

Having said that, when my wife and I rode it, we followed Cannonshots. They were excellent, and based on my experience,.are what I would recommend. (Having not followed others I can't comment on them).

Other than bypassing a few notable spots, ie Fleecers Ridge. We did it two up on a VStrom 1000, and finished on a KTM 990. (Our ride was split up due to time constraints).

Sure a 450 would be easier in spots, but it was a fantastic experience for us on a big bike. Following different tracks, of course you will have a different experience.
  12. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    I took a DR650, and - for me, anyway - it was the perfect bike.

I don't consider myself a gonzo rider, and I bypassed the steepest/ gnarliest sections. It was light and maneuverable enough to do anything and everything I wanted (and even a few things I didn't!).

There's no way I'd take a larger bike - i.e., 990 Adventure, 1200GS, or African Twin - on the route I did.

Best thing about the DR650 ... I rode from south to north. And when I hit Canada, it became a decent touring bike. I rode another 1500 miles thru BC, Idaho and Montana with all my gear. There's no way I would've done that on a 400.
    Scribe and guavadude like this.
  13. gordfraser

gordfraser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i did the divide southwards in aug 2017 on a 690 and thought it was a great/best bike for the trail. we camped and so carried #50 or so. worked fine.

i highly recommend it.

we did 2600 miles in 14 days. but did not go down past CO. there is lots to do in CO!!

G
  14. ridemtra

ridemtra single track

Oddometer:
    sounds as if you follow Cannonshots route a loaded 990 would be fine
  15. gordfraser

gordfraser Adventurer

Oddometer:

We did gps kevins route mostly. most of it is easily do able in a twin bike. the technical stuff came in CO mostly and there you had choices, so you could pick the terrain that you wanted.

I saw 1200's up some of the passes. And they were upright!

was a lot of fun!

G
  16. CrustyCrusaders

CrustyCrusaders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In 2017 we did the northern half of the divide (Glacier to Denver) based almost entirely on Cannonshot's GPX. Thanks so much for laying this all out and inspiring us to get out there. It was the trip of a life time and we made a youtube series with our footage. Take a look here.

17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Great video work! Looks like you guys had a blast.
    randypower likes this.
  18. CrustyCrusaders

CrustyCrusaders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mr Head likes this.
  19. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found your YouTube series a few weeks ago as it was still in progress. Three cheers on the series. No pretenses, just friends setting out for some good fun and captured in a superb series of quick easy-to-digest videos that took time to put together.
    CrustyCrusaders likes this.
  20. Choby

Choby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot, met up with you and a couple buddies on the IDBDR a few years ago. I tried to load the CDR onto my Zumo 595 and received an error? I'm tech challenged am I missing something? Also do you have a line on paper maps for the ride? Thanks
    Choby