A CannonRide Down the Great Divide (solo)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Your Zumo model probably isn't capable of handling 500 point track segments so it is truncating them. I'd pick up a Garmin 64st on sale for $230 or so. Bicycle maps of the GDR are available for purchase but the require adjustments where motorized isn't allowed. https://www.adventurecycling.org/cy...ycling-association-great-divide-book-map-set/

Considering the cost of the maps, it looks like a better option is to buy a more track capable GPS.
    Mr Head likes this.
  2. RedRover_CO

RedRover_CO Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^ Echo Cannonshot's comment. Lots of sponsored tracks (like BDRs) are created by setting points every 30 seconds when recorded. Not all devices can handle that many data points. Also, you can find the official BDR tracks here: https://ridebdr.com/download-tracks/ and I'd advise getting a paper copy of the BDR from either Touratech or Butler Maps. Also helps to know what NF ranger district you're in, and get the most recent MVUM from a ranger office. These are usually free but in limited supply.

For general reference, I've created a GoogleMaps page with the IDBDR that includes passes that are on the trail (or nearby):
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1qwKtLbIFK00bAU0vJrxGkt3uMt65wPtg&usp=sharing
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I think there might be some confusion here. He mentioned that we met in person on the IDBDR but his question was about the Great Divide Ride (this thread and sometimes referred to as the Continental Divide Ride). :D

64st $250

64st $269
  4. Choby

Choby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, for the cost of this 595 I should send it back to garmin….through their fu&%ing window...on fire.
  5. Choby

Choby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I am not sure how this works. I have an SD card in the unit, does this make a difference? Does the 64st come with maps? And yes I am doing the divide ride just stated we met up on the IDBDR. My 595 does load those easily enough though.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The 64st has built in topo maps and will serve you well on the divide ride. You can still run your Zumo for other stuff. You can put a map card for other maps in the 64st or put a card in to store data.
  7. rocksterman

rocksterman adventure duffer

Oddometer:
    I would. Garmin’s business model is rapid planned obsolescence. You are better off with a cheap Android device
  8. JoelBench

JoelBench n00b

Oddometer:
    I apologize if this has been asked. Still working my way through this great thread. I am interested to know if these tracks are suitable for Jeep. I am interested in going south to north. The best information available seems to be motorcycle based. Just wondering if my jeep will be good. Thanks. Joel
  9. turtlemoye

turtlemoye I'd rather not be online. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're gonna die.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Your reliable jeep will be fine. Hope you have a wonderful trip.
    wilfred likes this.
  11. JoelBench

JoelBench n00b

Oddometer:
    I appreciate to encouragement. We all have to go sometime. Might as well be fun.
    randypower likes this.
  12. JoelBench

JoelBench n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the work you have in this. Looks amazing.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to report about your trip in the four-wheel sub-forum we have. People will be interested to read about it I'm sure.
  14. tin-tin

tin-tin tallpaul

Oddometer:
    Passing the time social distancing on a snowy Sunday. Just finished this fantastic report and have to say really helps expel some of the gloom surrounding the virus and gives me something to look forward to when we come out the other side.
    wilfred and Cannonshot like this.
  15. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^ Two-wheeled Adventuring, Trip-Planning, Exploring, Overlanding does this for me regardless of which bit of chaos, drama, or rut I find myself! :clap
    MotoBoss and Cannonshot like this.
  16. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    Am starting planning this ride in mid-August with 5 riders. Paraphrasing what BigDog told me, just use Cannonshot's tracks as is and enjoy yourselves.

I posted many ride reports on AdvRider from trips in CA, AZ, UT, CO, ID, NM and WY. We have similar style and really enjoy your ride reports. Reading them is like being there.

PS am listening to Neil Young's version of Four Strong Winds as I read your report thread.
    Cannonshot and HardWorkingDog like this.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I'm a little jealous of your trip! The Great Divide is such a great ride. Many thanks to Mark (@BigDogAdventures ) for priming the pump for so many riders to check it out for themselves.

I hope you folks have a wonderful ride!

I need to go back and re-read this report myself to revive some of those feelings while I'm locked down with social distancing. :D
  18. 48north

48north n00b

Oddometer:
    We live and Kalispell and I have two teenage boys. We're all just getting into adventure riding and would LOVE to do this route.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  19. fikoli

fikoli n00b

Oddometer:
    Fantastic route!!
  20. dhilt

dhilt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the CDT last September and had a mechanical and was stuck in Kalispell for 5 days. Its an amazing ride from your place to Banff and not too far if you wanted to get a taste for it for a couple of days then maybe do the route south another time if you didn't want to do the whole thing all at once.