A CannonRide Up the Mid-Atlantic Backcounty Discovery Route (MABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Ajacks

Ajacks "Not in the face"

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to get a call from Mennan to do a commercial.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  2. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! The detail is fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

The sign said it was only closed to PGE staff and contractors. Beings neither of those applied to me, I went around the gate in the ditch to the right. Easy peasy. There were three or four closures when I ran this, and I always rerouted, with the exception of this one, because of the verbiage on the sign. YMMV though.
    Yinzer Moto and Sal Pairadice like this.
  3. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report, the first first person account I've seen that shows so much detail. Thank you both. I am definitely going to be on the route this summer so this is a great preview. From your pictures ,I'm guessing my V-Strom should be capable of doing this route.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    As always!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cannonshot likes this.
  5. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Heading for home (west of Milwaukee).

It was cold. Feet were a little cool until we rode into warmer temps. Even five degrees seemed to make a difference.

[​IMG]

Ice forming on the face shield for a bit.

[​IMG]

We passed two salt trucks while in New York.

[​IMG]

Roads were OK but we were pretty attentive about bridges, etc.

[​IMG]

The weather improved all the way home. But it was still like winter.

[​IMG]

Another trip checked off. We really needed this after a long winter.

[​IMG]

Jack led us through the Chicago rush. We had to be very active to manage it.

[​IMG]

So about 617 miles today. Pretty smooth sailing.

[​IMG]

So, coming from WI, we spent 8 days on this ride. One day down, six on the MABDR, and one day back. Ready to go again!

That bald rear tire was a little short on traction in the snow back home.

[​IMG]
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Long meeting today on motorized recreation issues. I'll tidy up the GPS file for this ride and get it published for others to draw from in the next day or two. I'll post here when I do.

In the mean time, or at any time in the future, we are happy to answer any questions people might have.

It also might be helpful for riders to add appropriate content that would support this being a useful reference for others that are interested in riding the MABDR as things evolve over time.

Thanks again to the BDR folks for creating this wonderful opportunity!

Thanks to Jack being part of all this! Much appreciated. It was a great time and a great ride.

And thanks to everyone that followed along and to those that shared your comments!
    wilfred, sick_boy, drumdog and 10 others like this.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Hope this proves useful to you!

:photog

Thanks!

Thanks! I think the V-Strom will be fine.

Thanks Frank! Hope you get to ride this soon.
  8. Ajacks

Ajacks "Not in the face"

Oddometer:
    The most complete ride report ever. I once read, on the cover of a journal, "The unexamined life is not worth living" and below "The unrecorded life is not worth examining" Thanks for this Bryan.
    wilfred, Bob1775, GAS GUY and 2 others like this.
  9. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any post thoughts? What worked, what did not work, anything you would have done differently? Again, thanks for taking the time and effort to provide such an entertaining documentation of the route.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  10. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Thank you gentlemen. Very well done.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  11. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    I just finished sections 1-4 and thought about this RR all along the trip. There were countless times when I said to myself "hey, cannonshot mentioned this place" while soaking in the history that I would have otherwise missed. We met the farmer with the school museum. He said that he had been promised a CD so his wife, who writes for the local paper, could do an article on the MABDR and explain the sudden surge in motorcycle traffic.[​IMG]
  12. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great report - just got my Butler map of the MABDR in the mail yesterday and hope to run some portions of it during a trip to upstate New York next month. We will be going up I-81 on the way up and back and if time and circumstances allow it I'd like to run some of the route in southern Pennsylvania and West Virginia on the way back down - even if its in my Land Rover Discovery instead of on two wheels. If you had to pick a most scenic section which would it be?
    Cannonshot and Ajacks like this.
  13. bkendig76

bkendig76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for this report! I rode the VA & WV sections this past weekend and had an awesome time. We rode North to South and found the dirt sections to be very mild. The biggest danger on the dirt sections is other ADV riders. There are a lot of blind turns and as traffic increases everyone needs to be sure to "ride right".

Cannon, did you happen to catch a glimpse of this unique cabin in the middle of the VA mountains?
    VA Cabin.jpg
  14. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Another great job of reporting! Also, I just finished Dave's RR on the SW deserts. What about going down next spring? I traveled that territory for work and would love to do it at an enjoyable pace!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  15. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report, thanks for the time and effort. A group of us will be doing it in late Oct S to N.
    Cannonshot and Ajacks like this.
  16. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another fantastic RR :thumb
    Cannonshot likes this.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    None other than we wouldn't mind riding it again, but in the other direction to make it seem like a new ride. :D This thing is ready to go. Riders can pack their usual kit, do their usual prep, and just go ride it. A read through this ride report will highlight some points of interest and give a little background that might add another layer of entertainment for some folks.

Thank you. Hope it proves helpful.

Good to hear that the ride report served one of its purposes - giving background info on some of the great areas and points of interest along the way. Thanks!

Thanks. It was all pretty good. The loop through Maryland had a lot of pavement but it was good pavement for a bike. Anything in the backcountry is going to be good. You can't go wrong on that. :D

Thanks. No, I don't remember seeing that! Pretty interesting setup. Durable for sure. :D

Thanks! I'm always anxious for an opportunity to take an interesting ride!

Thanks. I hope this report is helpful to your group.

Thanks Tom! I hope you can make a run on this sometime soon. A worthwhile ride for sure.
    wilfred and Shaggie like this.
  18. Ajacks

Ajacks "Not in the face"

Oddometer:
    A great question considering how much thought we gave to preparation. Two things come to mind, Riding gear. we both had Klim and it was great. the peace of mind knowing that no matter the weather your good. the second thing was tire repair. It was a good thing the Colonel brought a tube and patch kit. I had a stop and go plug kit and it was not good enough. Also He had those bead beaker tire Irons.
  19. Chief645

Chief645 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report Cannonshot! Thank you for sharing. I'll be leading a group of 16 riders from Dallas/Fort Worth Texas to ride the MA BDR this Fall. We are really looking forward to it!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. 16 riders - holy smokes that is a big group! Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Hope you have a great time!