A CannonRide Up the Mid-Atlantic Backcounty Discovery Route (MABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 19, 2018.

1. max384

max384 Bandaided Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMO, it depends what you mean by most scenic. The southern Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia sections had a lot of open farmlands and scenic overlooks. It's very scenic, but not very exciting for me. I liked the dirt sections through the older growth forests of the northern Pennsylvania route. I thought this was much more scenic. But it really depends what you like.
  2. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  3. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The old growth forests would appeal to me - my wife doesn't enjoy dirt roads nearly as much as i do. When we were kids my parents would take us out on weekends to explore the dirt roads in North Georgia and North Carolina. It instilled a lifelong fascination for the unpaved roads in me.
    We'll try to see what her tolerance level is on the return trip south. I may be forced to enjoy the more paved routes. She doesn't mind twisty paved roads and she grew up on a dirt road but she just won't tolerate a rough trail.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  4. max384

Oddometer:
    The old growth forests there aren't true old growth, but older than most forests in the Northeast.

Most of the dirt roads in the BDR through those sections are actually really smooth. There are some rougher sections, but most of it was high speed hard pack dirt roads. There were a lot of sections I was running 50-70 mph on the WR250R. There were a lot of areas I was going significantly slower, but that was due to blind curves that I needed to slow down because of the possibility of oncoming traffic.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  5. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Except in the State Forest, where you always rode at 25 mph, which is the speed limit. :nod
    max384, Snake Oiler and scootac like this.
  6. max384

Oddometer:
    But of course! :evil
    Paebr332 likes this.
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Cannonshot,

Just rode MABDR last week. Great ride by east coast standards. I think I spent 40% of my time looking down at my two GPS. One turn after another.

By any chance did you drop a waypoint or log the coordinates for:

- The water crossings around Brandywine, WV.

- The sporty Jeep trail with bolder size rocks somewhere in PA. The road seems fine and then you descend down a mile section. I thought I was off the BDR.

Thanks for ride report.

GF-kam
    Cannonshot likes this.
  8. max384

Oddometer:
    Are you thinking of the section that went down into the Poe Paddy State Park campground? It was a normal dirt road, then all of a sudden got rougher and zig zagged down a rough trail into the campground? If so, the rough start of that section is at 40.836569, -77.424739
    GF-kam likes this.
  9. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds like it. At the end I remember an opening and something that looked like a campground and some parking spaces. Caught me by surprise on bike bike. Thanks.

Sure glad I wasn't traveling from north to south direction. That 1 mile section would have been challenging for my skill on F800GS.
    max384 likes this.
  10. max384

Oddometer:
    That definitely sounds like it. Caught me by surprise too. I double checked my GPS as I was descending as well.
  11. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey max384,

This morning I looked up the coordinates you gave me for that one surprise 1.25 mile steep section heading into Poe Daddy State Park and campground. The one BDR map Section 7 blow up describes as ....

" The ensuing dirt section through Bald Eagle State Forest, will snap you back to attention. Ravens Knob Road is highlighted by a steep descent complete with embedded rocks, ruts, and switchbacks. Poe Daddy State Park is a welcome respite at the end of the slope and offers a lovely campground and picnic area." From BDR map Section 7 description.

Sure sounds like that one rocky section you gave me coordinates for. I created a waypoint in my Basecamp for next trip. Just as a reminder. While I was at it , I also created a few Deep Water Crossing waypoints for the short segment of road just south of Brandywine, WV country store and gas. The one on CR-24. If anyone wants to know, the workaround is pretty easy. Just take CR-25 west and then CR-21 back up. Connects back to BDR trail.

I thought I turned my helmet action cam, but must have been out of battery. Oh, well. Next trip.

GF-kam
    Ajacks likes this.
  12. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I've got all this stuff waypointed in the GPX I'll share. Hope to get it posted tonight. The rocky, rutted and steep part isn't too bad. It is just a matter of not getting too much momentum if going downhill and keeping enough momentum if going up hill if you are riding big bikes. It is signed with "ROAD NOT MAINTAINED" signs so no one will be surprised. :D
    drumdog and Snake Oiler like this.
  13. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Cannonshot. No problem. I did find this two sporty sections with help of inmate ( max384 ) and my BDR Butler map. Just posted them in my MABDR mini ride report. I just want to make sure the next Geezer like myself doesn't get hung up or waterlogged.

THANKS.

GF-kam
    Cannonshot likes this.
  14. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    One more thumbs-up to Cannonshot. Great report. I can't wait to ride it on either my TW200 or BMW310.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Here is a GPX with over 400 waypoints for everything from water crossings to points of interest. The primary track we rode is contained in the first 15 track segments of 500 or less points each so they will work on many early model GPS units that only accept 20 tracks of 500 points or less. I also included the May 2018 version of the MABDR tracks from the MABDR website (in dark gray) in this GPX for easy comparison so people can see the differences between my trip track and the standard BDR track. Those 15 tracks are mostly greater than 500 points each. Not sure how many would want to follow my exact path but the information and waypoints will be useful nonetheless. This includes Paebr 322's recommended path in the Michaux (thank you). As a reminder, always get the current base track from the MABDR website so that your ride would include all the most recent changes to the path based on closures or other reroutes. This should be a useful reference to other riders since it contains a lot of information about the basic route itself. Hope it proves helpful to many.

Also downloaded 49 times from previous personal site.

Attached Files:

16. AdvRich

AdvRich Long Time SmugMug Patron/Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your RR Cannonshot, thanks. Always interesting to experience another person's perspective to one's own when passing though areas one has lived-in and visited over the years.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Cannonshot likes this.
  17. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my list for 2019, just can't squeeze it in this year.
    Awesome report!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  18. KiloGraham

KiloGraham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent report!

Just so you know these tracks are greatly appreciated. Me and some friends are doing your AR/MO ride in a few weeks and will be using these tracks for our MABDR trip later this summer.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I think it would be a fun ride on either of those bikes.

Thanks Rich! I hope I was able to share some things that were new for you as well.

Thanks! Hope you have a great trip whenever you can get to it. Better get there soon though . . . before everyone wears it out. :D

Thanks! It is nice to hear back from people that make use of the stuff I provide to help out other riders. I really enjoyed that AR/MO ride - a great ride with a lot of extras. Hope you have a good ride there!
    KiloGraham likes this.
  20. kneesels

kneesels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cannonshot for the great narrative and tracks. Will try to put both to good use in the next few months.
    Cannonshot likes this.