A CannonRide Up the Mid-Atlantic Backcounty Discovery Route (MABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 19, 2018.

1. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you think a Honda CT110 would be adequate for the paved roads speed wise? A practical top speed is 45mph, up hills 35mph so I'm hoping the speed limits on the paved route wouldn't be higher than that for the most part. The reason I ask is I was going to do a scooter cannonball (not on a CT) east but hurt my back a couple months ago, nothing new for me and it is getting better but not better enough to ride a scooter 4,000 miles east then the same back west again. I am thinking of just taking my truck instead because I like the route and want to get away for a few weeks. It would be easy to take a CT along on a hitch rack if it would be reasonably feasible to ride it on the MABDR for a couple or a few days starting at Damascus. Also, would you have any idea if there would be long term parking in Damascus, I know, a long shot to ask this.

I have some experience on small bikes, I rode a scooter last summer 1700 miles to Glacier NP and TW200 from Haines AK home 2600 miles also last summer but those bikes are Goldwings compared to a CT.
    davidp14 likes this.
  2. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    For most of the route that bike would be fine. There are quite a few sections of 55 mph roads, though. But, none of them were heavily traveled.
    pnw likes this.
  3. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know if the 55mph roads are fairly evenly dispersed along the route or concentrated north or central or south along the route? I've ridden my CT on 55-60mph heavily traveled roads/highways when they couldn't be avoided (on the WABDR), not very fun but very sparsely traveled roads might not be as much of a problem. Thanks.
  4. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Several of them were in WV, but in WV most all roads are posted 55 mph, even when that speed is not remotely feasible. Otherwise, I believe they were pretty evenly spaced out... But to be honest, I can't recall exactly. Maybe @Cannonshot will have a better recollection of it.
    pnw likes this.
  5. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Reference the pavement and slow speed questions. Pavement is mixed throughout. There is probably more in Maryland, but there are significant stretches in PA and VA as well. Riding 35 mph top speed on the pavement on this route is probably no different than riding 35 mph on the pavement of a similar mix of other paved roads. There are some climbs that may limit the speed to below the usual max. If I didn't mind riding a small bike 35 mph max, I'd go ahead and do it - why not. You may end up riding some shoulders on more major roads, but there are also a lot of paved roads without shoulders. I guess my concern would be some inattentive driver clipping me since I wasn't at pace with the usual traffic.

That really doesn't answer much I guess. :D

If you want to do it, knowing the risks and limitations, go for it. The pictures show much of what it is like. Best wishes whatever you decide. :D
    Roofwalker, wilfred and pnw like this.
  6. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like a misguided thought in a futile attempt to salvage a trip that really can't be salvaged with what I have.
    I appreciate the insight and information.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I picked this Himalayan up the other day. After riding it for a while, I wish I would have had it for the MABDR. It would have been a great choice for this ride. Fun on the pavement, capable enough for the off-pavement. Some saddlebags to support motel travel would have been about all that was required.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    COOL Bryan! I keep looking at them. It seems, now that I am old; my legs are not as long as they were. It looks to be a fun capable Moto with a true motorcycle look.

"The Price Is Right"
    Cannonshot likes this.
  9. OldnoGPS

OldnoGPS Just a sightseer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for such an informative and entertaining ride report, great read. Photos really help in knowing what to expect.

I wanted to add a couple of things:
    Just south of Brandywine, WV. (before the WV 24 section with water crossings/NSA site if riding north), WV 25 east up the mountain isn't far to the top and is a paved, winding road. At the top, turn south (up) on FR85 (also paved) up to the top of Reddish Knob. FR85 is one-lane, entertaining, along a narrow ridge, but watch for oncoming traffic coming down from the summit. The view from the top is worth the trip up. (Note that FR85 proper forks off right to the south just below the last summit section).
    Coming back down, if you want to avoid the WV 24 water crossings, stay on 25 down to Sugar Grove, then head north to Brandywine as previously suggested for a go-around.
    In Brandywine, Fox's Pizza (about 1/4 mile north of the store on the corner where the tire fix occurred) is a consistent, decent café. Eaten there many times.

When I saw the restaurant where you guys ate in Shepherdstown, I recognized it as a place where my wife and I ate a couple of years ago. Blue Moon Café, the outdoor area has a stream (called the Town Wash) that runs through it, neat stonework, nice space. Good food and service as mentioned.

Cannonshot: Congrats on the Himalayan. I want to see/sit on one.
    sick_boy, Thunder-dog, Jager and 3 others like this.
  10. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Excellent :thumb I'm really excited to see the luggage/rack developments for these bikes. Hopefully there will be a Cannon Ride starring the new Enfield in the future!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  11. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    I downloaded the GPX file and in Basecamp I followed the tracks and routes through central Pennsylvania, all of which I know well from years of off-pavement riding. I had to smile at some of the crazy turns and directions, yet I fully understand the need to try this road or that, even if it goes in the wrong direction or backtracks entirely. By the way, we've had a lot of rain, and some of those water crossings will be a real challenge this week.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  12. redroom

redroom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I learned these were "buffalo roads" and they have characteristic S curves when approaching low points, to cross waterways or climb onto gaps. The story goes that native Americans followed the buffalo as they migrated, then these became trading paths, later were paved, and so on. They are far more fun on a motorcycle than most engineered roads.
    wadethewanderer and todd900ss like this.
  13. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BLucare and Cannonshot like this.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The spur to the top is 5.3 miles for a 10.6 mile round trip distance.

[​IMG]
    sick_boy, Thunder-dog and OldnoGPS like this.
  15. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    He was likely camped right next to me a couple nights ago. I was going south while he was headed north so we exchanged notes, swapped stories of our other trips and enjoyed the sunset over the lake.

There was also a fellow on a KLR across from us going north separately.

Must have passed about 10 groups on mostly big bikes that were loaded enough to be running the BDR. I assumed the other smaller bikes with no luggage were locals.
  16. ex-xt

ex-xt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl very nice ride , places ans photos guys .
    Maybe i will travel to USA on 2024 , and maybe again bring my hima' with me ( if it is legal ) , in this case will be nice to meet some of you guys , in your beautiful country .
    If you ride slowly enough, will be over 70
    Cannonshot and i4bikes like this.
  17. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update! A group of us is leaving from North GA Wednesday (30th) ahead of Alberto. These water crossings might be something we want to avoid.:hmmmmm OTOH, we are all on large KTM s so we can go anywhere!:lol3 Also appreciate the first hand tip on Fox
    s Pizza!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  18. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
  19. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    Oops, hit bumped the send button too soon! Cannonshot, your RR with pictures, additional waypoints and photos is exquisite! I have downloaded your waypoints and added them to my tracks . We are leaving from Dawsonville GA Wednesday (30th) on a Garmin "curvy rd " rt and expect to be in Damascus before noon Thursday. Thank you for your contributions to this trip!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer: